Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've recently got some pain on the outside of my hip and the front into my groin. I think it had to be from riding since its the only excercise I do. I have been riding a 1X setup for a little over a year and it has made me a much stronger rider. Wondering if anyone has had this hip problem and if pushing the bigger gears is the culprit?

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
It's nothing to do with the single chainring. I've been riding singlespeed and fixed gear for years without any issues. If it is from riding, it's likely your riding position. Do you have an efficient pedal stroke? Have you fitted your bike to your body, either with a professional, or through trial/error by yourself?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been riding 3-5 days a week for the last 5 years and never had a problem. I did lower my seat a bit to see so hopefully that's it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Raise your seat back up and make sure your saddle is not too forward or too far back. That can only be done by trial and error. Also, start doing hip stretches on your days off your bike. The more you bike the less range of motion you will have in your hips.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Did you ride much over the winter or sit on the couch and drink beer? Might just be out of riding shape.

Make any changes recently? Saddle height, fore/ after?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Cross-train. Take up running or swimming or weights or something.

Since you were fine before moving the saddle and now you're not, restoring it to its previous position sounds like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I live in California and we've had an exceptionally dry winter so lack of riding isn't the case. I lowered my seat because I recently raised it so I actually just put it back to where it was previous to the injury. I also started stretching so hopefully that helps. I just thought maybe me cranking hard continually over stressed it, rather than sitting and spinning.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Pushing too low a gear is a popular way for people to hurt themselves. But you say you've been riding this way for at least three years.

Anything else change?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been riding 1x10 for roughly a year and a half but I have been trying to push it and go faster in the last few months. I might opt for a 40t to see if that helps. Just wondering if anyone experienced hip pain

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently got a new fork and while tuning it in, I realized I was running my shock too stiff. So I added some more sag and to offset that change, I raised my seat a tad to keep my pedaling proficient. Maybe I didn't need to raise my seat or I raised it a little too much.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Unless you ride a URT or iDrive bike, your saddle height shouldn't be affected by using a little more sag.

Trying to go faster recently sounds like a plausible cause. I found that I really needed to clean up my riding position and pedaling technique before I could start pushing volume, let alone intensity, a few years ago. And it's still something most people find they need to pursue in a measured way. You can't do intervals or ride wide-open-throttle every ride.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you ride a URT or iDrive bike, your saddle height shouldn't be affected by using a little more sag.

Trying to go faster recently sounds like a plausible cause. I found that I really needed to clean up my riding position and pedaling technique before I could start pushing volume, let alone intensity, a few years ago. And it's still something most people find they need to pursue in a measured way. You can't do intervals or ride wide-open-throttle every ride.
I think this is my problem. I usually have a limited amount of time to ride so I try to get as much in as I can and push 100% every ride for 1-1.5 hours. That and, I hate to say it, Strava has pushed me to try harder especially on the climbs. I guess I'll dial my output back and see if that helps. Focus more on technique.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Could just be a tight IT band. Try stretching and a foam roller.

If I stop stretching my IT bands and stay off the roller my hips kill me.

I have broken my pelvis and ended up with my femur sticking out of my azz cheek before so maybe it's just me....

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Quickly increasing your intensity/volume will lead to injuries, usually via overuse or poor form from fatigue. It's fine to ride at a higher intensity/faster pace than you've done in the past, but you also need to give yourself more time to recover from those efforts.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
Keep in mind, it could be a tumor.

Reactions: rndmrdr

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
I think this is my problem. I usually have a limited amount of time to ride so I try to get as much in as I can and push 100% every ride for 1-1.5 hours. That and, I hate to say it, Strava has pushed me to try harder especially on the climbs. I guess I'll dial my output back and see if that helps. Focus more on technique.
That's what it is - pushing more high intensity sessions will make any underlying issues surface. Don't give up the gains you're making, instead focus a LOT harder on your recovery procedure, stretching afterwards, and refueling to help your body recover better. Ease off a bit on either intensity or frequency until it stops hurting, then start really focusing on the above so you're not hurting yourself unneccessarily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts