Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with this? I DNF'd last week because the cramping got so bad. I hydrated properly the night before and morning of the race. I also got in a good warm up and stretched. Everything I've found about is claiming saddle height is too high, but I'm feeling like mine may be too low.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
XC Hack
343 Posts
Bummer. I don't get HF cramps but I do get low back ones here and there (can't pinpoint why--too varied). I do get relief from doing standing quad stretches (bend leg back try to touch heel to butt) and also lunge stretches (concentrating on feeling the HF stretch). I saw them in a youtube mtb training video. My back stops hurting after I do them. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
With something like this you may be able to reduce the problem by adjusting your riding position. The suggestions in this article might be worth trying. It's about road and time trial bikes but the basic idea behind the adjustments might help with your mountain bike setup also - sit in a more upright position and pedal smaller circles with shorter cranks so your hips don't have to bend as much whilst pedalling.:)

Closed Hip Angle
"If the hip angle is closing beyond the range of motion that you identified with last week’s tests, you will find your pelvis rocking from side to side and open the possibility for hip flexor and back problems. The best fix for this is again shorter cranks (~1 degree/10mm), coupled with a shorter cockpit and less drop which allow for you to keep your hips more open at the top of the pedal stroke (explained further below). " Alan Couzens

http://www.endurancecorner.com/Alan_Couzens/bike_fit_3

·
Registered
599 Posts
sit in a more upright position and pedal smaller circles with shorter cranks so your hips don't have to bend as much whilst pedalling.:)
+1 to this.

What is the height difference between the tip of your saddle and the top of your stem? How long is your stem now?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to measure my saddle to bar drop. Right now I have an 80mm stem on. Bike fit has always been a bit of an issue for me as I'm 5'9" with a 33" inseam. I did just get a post with 0 setback so we will see how if this changes anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts