Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
The HTF is awesome! Get the map. This is a great intro ride for the seasoned rider.

Park at the Hyden Hill East Lot. Ride the Maiden from the lot to the Backdoor to Dragons tail to Wolf tree to Enchanted forest (go left). Once you hit the road follow it to Nature Boy and do the left or the right loop. Take Homestead back to your car. Wicked fun! The map is on the fellowship of the wheel web site. Passing the Horizon is also one of my favorites.

·
Monkey
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow!

Thanks for the itinary!!

What does it compare to?

As a comparison point, I've been to:

Catamount
Sleepy Hollow
Waterbury
Millstone Hill
Kingdom Trails
Mobb Hill/Valley

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
I rode it last week. I'm going to be honest here. Alot of the trail is descent, alot of it is not so great. Anything labled as Expert is quite poor. Way too steep to be sustainable. In alot of cases the fall-line trail has become, or is rapidly becoming a stream bed. Alot of the side hill trail has not been bench cut, just raked in, which is leading to poor trail bed with off camber roots being more and more exposed. There seems to be alot of trails there, but allready there is so much that needs to be addressed before this place is "real". That being said, the easier, flatter trails are pretty fun. Being that it is right next to sleepy hollow, I imagine they are similar...Just stay off if it's wet, Hey Jozz?!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hinesburg Town Forest

The town forest has some good variety. The earlier built trails leave a lot to be desired, but they are receiving improvements all of the time. The newer trails are being developed with a lot more care. This area will be awesome in the next year or 2. There is a lot of surrounding area to be developed. This will allow for miles and miles of singletrack.

As for a comparison, I would rate it close to Millstone. Some good flow with enough technical to keep you interested. It also has the "newness" of Millstone where you can see a lot of room for improved trail development.

Stay off it when it's wet. Those hillsides hold water and riders having been beating the crap out of it through all of this wet weather.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Damn JoZZ!

I tought i would beat you to that one... It's on my next trip... I talked with a unch of people last w-e when i went to Mobbs and they really recommended it... I'll try to hit those trails and Waturbury next time i do down there...

I'M sure you'll enjoy!

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Bob, alot of the trails there are fall line and too steep. So good examples of how to build sustainable side hill trail can be seen in waterbury (alot of that is trashed these days too), and behind Irie Cycles in Stowe, the new stuff know as the town loops. Also, when you go side hill, you have to bench cut much deeper then has been done at HTF. Look at trail networks in the SE for "real" trail building vs. rake and ride trails that wear in very poorly and create more work in the form of fixing problem areas down the road. Spend the time to create a real trail bed in the beginning and you will not create a trail that needs continuous work. Just my opinion here. There aren't many places in VT that have "real" trail building going on. In alot of places, traffic is so low that poor trails can be somewhat sustainable, but it seems like HTF gets ridden alot and therefore more thought has to be put into impact. I'm sure if any of the imba people looked at any of the advance trails there, and alot of intermediate trails, they would say the same thing. It's not hard to tell that the trail is actually collecting and channeling water down the (overly steep) trail, and washing it out. It's water that errodes. On one trail, pillow biter I think, the trail crosses the same spring run off over and over again. A little forethought in reguards to water would have been nice, and the trail would prolly be ridable alot more often.

·
Registered
538 Posts
DaveVT I agree there needs to be some better trail building around the area. I live Waterbury and ride those trials often. With the wet summer we have had so far, people have not ben kind enough to stay of the trials and let them dry out. Now trails like Burning Spier and the climb up to it have become really eroded. I know that we will be doing a lot of work up there to get things back to the way they should be.

Just to note with the possible agreement with the State, people will need to keep their eyes open to possible trail closings during wet weather on the Waterbury trails system. I know we won't be able to stop everyone from riding when the trials are to wet, but hopefully they use some caution.

As for Hinesburg town forest. They have some good loops, but like most people said the area needs work. I am sure you can make a good day out of a ride there...If not there is always sleepy hollow or Waterbury.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.