Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What will help me more on hills now. It's snowy and cold I can't ride road and don't have a great aerobic capacity. I need to get alot more endurance for hill climbing. Should I put in many hours on a trainer at zone 2 heart rate to build a base or just go out and climb hills over and over ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you can get out and ride hills right now, that's the best training hands down. If you can't, then I'd consider running. Running in the winter is a cinch and it beats the boredom of the trainer. It would give you the aerobic base you'll need when you can start riding again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Feel free to jump on the trainer

Living in Minnesota it can be almost impossible to consistantly outside. Since the middle of November I have put in an average of 10-14 hours of riding a week. Most of this has beeen on a trainer and predominantly at E2 intensity. The race season finished up in mid September and after about a month off I started training for the 07 season. At that time my average speed on the trainer (Kurt Kinetic) was around 17 mph @ HR of 154 for 2 hours. At this time I can maintain 18.6 @ HR of 156 for 4+ hours. My 6 min TT went from 21.6 mph (311 watts) to 23.4 (375 watts) over that same period of time. I feel very confident that my climbing ability will be much better than last year. Oh BTW I also lost 6 pounds now at 138#.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Make sure you build your aerobic base. Get the aerobic time in to cover your goals.

You should do some "strength on the bike" to get more hill climbing power. Do some intervals (start with 4 sets of 3 minutes) in which you pedal at about 50 rpm and grind the pedals in a hard gear. The muscle tension in your legs should be substaintial, but your HR should not be soaring.

You may also consider doing some cycling-specific weight training; I think it helps my core strength on long hills.

running is a good way to get more aerobic time in. Make sure you apply this time towards your base time. Keep your runs to a light jog.

Also, start modifying your diet to minimize fat. Getting rid of any "dead weight" on your body will help you go up hill faster.

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
Do a variety of stuff:
  • Zone 4 intervals: 5 X 3'
  • Low cadence HR zone 3 tempo "climbs" . Start at 5 min at 60-70 rpm and build up to 20 mins
  • High cadence HR zone 3 tempo, 95-105 rpm. Start at 10 min and gradually build up to 90 mins
  • Pedaling skill drills
  • 2 hour zone 2 rides
  • High power intervals: 30 secs max effort, 4.5 min spin easy

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
LyndaW said:
Do a variety of stuff:
  • Zone 4 intervals: 5 X 3'
  • Low cadence HR zone 3 tempo "climbs" . Start at 5 min at 60-70 rpm and build up to 20 mins
  • High cadence HR zone 3 tempo, 95-105 rpm. Start at 10 min and gradually build up to 90 mins
  • Pedaling skill drills
  • 2 hour zone 2 rides
  • High power intervals: 30 secs max effort, 4.5 min spin easy
better have a good strong base before jumping into some of these workouts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.