Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Twin Six METAL
434 Posts
Yes, everything I have heard so far indicates that the race is going to happen. It is scheduled for March 7&8. The 7th being the Dirt Crit and the 8th being the big race. It's been difficult to get information about it this year, a big foul on the orgainzers. This race has the potential to bring in a lot of racers, as past races there have had turnouts of over 1000 people. Fort Sill has dissuaded anyone to help them with the running of the race, because the refuse to let any of the proceeds from the race leave the base. Any money that is made from the race is put back into the base, so the promoters from last year walked away having put in a lot of time and effort and getting nothing except for a little advertising out of it. The base has done a terrible job of promoting this race, and there is almost nothing on the web that indicates it is or isn't going to happen.

Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
this will be my first time to go. this will also be my first race. i have just done weekend trail riding around the lake draper trails and a few times down at lake murray. how can i obtain an entry form?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sworks, is there any contact info available? Who is running the show for the base? why dosn't anyone from the OEF help out? This is the oldest running event in OK, throw the base a bone and help them get out the word.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as I can tell , no HOH this year :< Race/Ride went from around 800 in 2007 (when it was still 12 Miles of HELL) to just over 400 in 2008 (when it changed sponsors and became Hills of Hell) Always a challenge and pure joy to be a part of ... I just think that there are a few things going against the event...economy, poor advertising, Ft. Sill...it will be missed...but who knows....lets try to keep positive....

·
Registered
125 Posts
sad

This is really sad. it would have been my 15th year in a row to do the race. It was really cool in the late 90's when there where 1000 racers and people like Tilford won it. Maybe its not to late? I wish I had the time and experiance to organize the race.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Was lurkin' about and hit upon this thread,and as I really enjoy the early season challenge of the Hills of Hell (formerly 12 Miles of Hell) I had to find out.

I went to the Fort Sill MWR web site and looked at the March 2009 Calendar and there it is.
www.fortsillmwr.com
or
http://www.sillmwr.com/mwr_calendar.html
Start Time: 11:00 am End Time: 2:00 pm
(Time Zone: US/Central)

Category: Recreation

Phone: 442-3269

Location Details

LETRA (Lake Elmer Thomas Recareation Area)
Fort Sill OK 73503

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, and about the Pre-ride date:: thumbsup:

Date: Saturday, March 7, 2009
Start Time: 1:30 pm End Time: 3:30 pm
(Time Zone: US/Central)

Category: Recreation

Description

Preride

Phone: 442-3269

Location Details

LETRA (Lake Elmer Thomas Recareation Area)
Fort Sill OK 73503

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yes, bummer to hear. 12 mile of hell was one of my favorite races of all time......even managed to come home with a piece of granite once : ), believe it was in 98'. Matter of fact....i still have that rock sitting in the wifes flower garden.

i wish the new organizer much luck on keeping a midwest classic in good health.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the info I could get...

I sent an email to the LETRA email address I could find. Here is the response...

Good Morning,

The Hills of Hell will be held March 7 & 8. The website is still under construction but as soon as it is up you will be able to register via the web.

If you are interested in pre-riding before the race you will be allowed the week prior. In order to do this you will have to take the Sportsman's Safety Class which will be held special for this event on February 21 & 28. Once the website is back up, it will have this information available.

I am not coordinating the race but I have access to the information. Feel free to contact me in reference to any information you may need.

Thank you for your inquiry. Have a GREAT day!!

Lisa Anderson
Operations Assistant/Temporary Manager
LETRA - Ft Sill

·
Registered
97 Posts
Marin?? said:
Thanks for the update. I cannot wait till the day. Between the Hills of Hell race still going on and new trails being built in Ada this is great news for Oklahoma!
Were going to get a group together from Ada to go.
If you are interested get in touch with me.

matt-b

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
This was a discussion point last year. If I remember correctly, if you plan on pre-riding prior to the race weekend you are required to take the course. If you are only there for Saturday and Sunday I don't believe you have to.

I have been wrong before however. I think if you look at the information on BikeReg it kind of infers the above.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.