Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the core work-outs, I need to start training Hill Climbs again to prepare for the Downieville XC in July. Tomorrow: Kennedy. Aim to be at the top by 7pm.
- J.L.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Bummer,
I have had to switch to TTT.

Time Trial Tues.

Up Kennedy in 50 min or less. Then down and go back up in 52 or less. I guess I like the pain of climbing. I have to start at 4 pm though.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kennedy trail in Los Gatos starts at the top of Kennedy Road.
I park at the intersection of Los Gatos Blvd and Kennedy and bike up Kennedy Road (10 to 15 minute warm-up ride), turn right on Kennedy trail and hammer it to the top of Priest Rock trail. I usually go down Priest Rock and return via Overgrown and Jones Trail.
- J.L.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'll be there this week.

I'll be at the bottom of Kennedy Rd close to Los Gatos Blvd gearing up just before 6. Looking to start climbing the asphalt by 6.

Should put me at the top by 7 with a smooth moderate pace.

I'll be in MTBR colors and on an old bike.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
A couple years ago, we did a one time roadie-version of HCW from the Page Mill Park and Ride Lot.

since getting to LG in time for this is near impossible for me, I'm gonna start a parallel roadie HCW next week.

Old La Honda get ready!

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
JL de Jong said:
Kennedy trail in Los Gatos starts at the top of Kennedy Road.
I park at the intersection of Los Gatos Blvd and Kennedy and bike up Kennedy Road (10 to 15 minute warm-up ride), turn right on Kennedy trail and hammer it to the top of Priest Rock trail. I usually go down Priest Rock and return via Overgrown and Jones Trail.
- J.L.
I'm probably going to start at LG blvd next Tues. I have been having crappy first rides to the top recently. I'm thinking it's maybe a lack of warm up. I usually park at the trail head and putt around the street for 5 min to warm up.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Loll said:
So if one is not Menso, what is a respectable time from the gate at the bottom to the top?
My thought:
Under 30 min: you have an invisible rocket booster or antigravity device.
Under 40 min: Near god like. We choke on your dust as you pass us going up
Under 45 min: You can climb better than most.
Under 50 min: You're getting there, keep working on it.
Under 60 min: Great start, with some training, you'll get there.
Over 60 min: You're just crusin' and enjoying the view.

When I started a year ago I was over 60 min and not "crusin'." I did enjoy the view though. My best time is now 47 min. So, I still have a ways to go until "God Like."

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
ziscwg said:
I'm probably going to start at LG blvd next Tues. I have been having crappy first rides to the top recently. I'm thinking it's maybe a lack of warm up. I usually park at the trail head and putt around the street for 5 min to warm up.
Starting on Tues makes it not really an HCW.

Park down by LG Blvd and use that as a slow warm up. Also makes it easier to get back to your car if you come down Dogmeat and up and over Jones and back around through town.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Starting on Tues makes it not really an HCW.

Park down by LG Blvd and use that as a slow warm up. Also makes it easier to get back to your car if you come down Dogmeat and up and over Jones and back around through town.
Yeah, I know its not Wed. A recent schedule change made Wed not an option for a while.

I may do that run down Dogmeat (Priest Rock?, I just know it as the 3way at the top) next Tuesday. It maybe a good change instead of going up and down Kennedy trail twice.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
ziscwg said:
I may do that run down Dogmeat (Priest Rock?, I just know it as the 3way at the top) next Tuesday. It maybe a good change instead of going up and down Kennedy trail twice.
Priest Rock is the 'correct' name for it. Usually people go down it since climbing it is so unrelenting.

Coming back down the way you came up Kennedy is fine too I guess. Either way, pretty basic fire road duty. :(

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Priest Rock is the 'correct' name for it. Usually people go down it since climbing it is so unrelenting.

Coming back down the way you came up Kennedy is fine too I guess. Either way, pretty basic fire road duty. :(
It's just uphill training miles. If I wanted to have fun, I would do a saw pit loop at demo. I can usually pull that in under 2 hrs and at 4 pm, there isn't that much traffic.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Too hot for everyone?

I came home from a conference at 5:15pm and decide to safe some gas: I biked from Cupertino to Los Gatos (Blaney, Prospect, Miller, Cox, Quito, Saratoga Los Gatos Road to LG Blvd), up Kennedy Road and Trail and managed to arrive at the top exactly at 7pm. No one there!?! I guess it was a bit too hot for everyone else. My 44 minute climb felt much longer in the heat and kept me firmly in the mere mortal category, but still faster than most. I'll have to train a bit more for Downieville and will do it again next week.
- J.L.
P.S. Menso was working at Evolution Bike Shop and couldn't join me. If anyone wants to get his bike tuned by a real Pro: go to Evolution in Cupertino Tuesday through Thursday.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
JL de Jong said:
P.S. Menso was working at Evolution Bike Shop and couldn't join me. If anyone wants to get his bike tuned by a real Pro: go to Evolution in Cupertino Tuesday through Thursday.
Whats a full tune up cost? I need to get my new-to-me Sworks FSR tuned up for D-ville. Specifically, the xtr crankset/bb is a bit noisey. Unfortunately I'll probably not have enough time to have the 2006 talas worked on(ship to fox), which is too bad since it gets very "hard" after each ride ... strange. :confused:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Loll said:
So if one is not Menso, what is a respectable time from the gate at the bottom to the top?
ziscwg said:
My thought:
Under 30 min: you have an invisible rocket booster or antigravity device.
Under 40 min: Near god like. We choke on your dust as you pass us going up
Under 45 min: You can climb better than most.
Under 50 min: You're getting there, keep working on it.
Under 60 min: Great start, with some training, you'll get there.
Over 60 min: You're just crusin' and enjoying the view.
I did a quick search, and found the old "King of Kennedy" thread at http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3505347#post3505347

rensho said:
Rider......................Nickname.............................Climb Time
1. Menso..................Menso..................................27:45
2. Clark Foy..........................................................28:19
3. Erik.................(Giant Rider)...............................29:43
4. Aaron...............................................................31:07
5. Brock...............................................................31:13
6. Ceasar.............................................................31:22
7. Don Myrah........................................................32:40
8. Timmy..............................................................33:27
9. Kirk................Foggy Goggles............................34:24
10. Michel.............................................................37:32
11. Alex................Sir Krameroy.............................37:49<-------------First place: Mere Mortals
12. Jeff H......................jeffh...................................41:04<-------------First place: Old dudes over 45
13. JL.........................JL de Jong...........................42:02
14. Eric......................Rumpfy................................42:06<-------------First place:Can't believe those parts still function (aka vintage)
15. Melvin..............................................................42:07
16. John................................................................42:34
17. Thomas.................Rensho...............................43:45<--------------First place: SS (walker with a bike)
18.Francis..................Francois..............................45:19<---------------Lost 4 mins due to white bike slowness. ;)
19. Ali.........................Pisket.................................46:21
20.Marco....................Zen Turtle............................48:10
21. Spencer...........................................................48:20
22. Derek..............................................................49:14
23. Roy.................................................................53:46
24. Mike B......................diskus.............................57:00
25. Vin..................................................................57:57
26. ???...........................Just me...........................59:08
27. Bong...............................................................1:02:15
28. Carmen......................ibikergal.........................1:05:18<-------------------First place: Estrogen
29. Jeannie(sp?)....................................................1:06:50
30. June................................................................1:07:45
31. Bob.........................Aussie Bob.......................1:07:49
32. Mel.................................................................1:08:20
33. Sarah..........................Pocket..........................1:08:48
34. John................................................................1:09:04
35. JR...................................................................1:09:10
36. Jerry................................................................1:11:59
37. Mikey..............................................................1:14:49

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
MrCrash said:
I did a quick search, and found the old "King of Kennedy" thread at http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3505347#post3505347
Ok, so during the turkey ride, I rode up Kennedy in 50 minutes no-stop. Seeing Menso rode up on in 27 minutes, that means he has to be pushing at twice the speed I was.

Man I missed the days when I was racing Junior and weighted 117 pounds. May be I could have chased Menso a little bit longer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.