Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm going to be staying in Hill City this weekend through the 4th and wanted to see if anyone can point me in the direction of some good single track? I can travel a little if the trail is worth it. Also if any groups are hooking up, and they don't mind my tagging along, I would be interested in some showing the way.

Thanks for the input....Matt

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
sparrow said:
www.acmebicycles.com

and

www.bhmba.org

for ride/races, etc

and drop me an email or PM for more details on rides nearby. Some of the riding in the area is unsigned, but I can get you some details on a few good rides.
Sparrow is your man for trails in the Hills.

Heck, Storm Mountain is just up the road a piece from Hill City.

My wife is begging me to bring the family out in August and wants to ride Storm Mountain, hike the Flume and take the family on portions of the Mick. However, I'll be driving out for Labor Day weekend to have another shot at the Dakota 50, so don't know if I can handle 2 round trips across the prairie.

BB

P.S. Is that tandem shot in the photo section of your website of you and your wife taken at the Maah Daah Hey? If it is, how much of that trail have you ridden?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Upcoming weekend

Matt,

I think you should also hit the Storm Mountain trails! Only a short drive from Hill City! When will you be in Hill City. I'll be out of town until Saturday Night, but I might be able to ride on Sunday late afternoon(5:00) or Monday afternoon! (1:00)

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
mattb said:
5 on Sunday may be a little on the late side, but 1 on Monday may work. Let me know as the week progresses.
Matt
Since you are staying so close to this "legal" and known trail, I might as well give you some directions.

If you ride Storm Mountain trail, you won't really need a guide or anyone to hook up with as the trail is pretty easy to follow. Storm Mountain is a United Methodist Church Camp and a few years back, the director of the camp, Steve Foss (who I went to college with back in the 80's), was also an avid mountain biker who set out to build a trail. He has since left that directorship position of the camp and works on the other side of South Dakota at another Methodist church camp. The Storm Mountain trail is maintained by a local mountain biking organization and if memory serves me right, has been added to and expanded over the years since Steve left.

Highway 16 is what runs from Rapid City up into the Hills and takes you to Hill City. About 1/2 between Rapid City and Hill City is a little ghost gold mine town called Rockerville with a steak house/lounge (the Gaslight). There is a small loop road off of Highway 16 called Silver Mountain Road. There is a sign coming from either direction to catch this road. At least on the side from Rapid City to Hill City (going west), there is also a sign for Storm Mountain Camp. Not sure if there is a sign for the camp on the side going east (coming from Hill City). However, there is a sign that says Silver Mountain Road. The east end of this road is where the parking lot is for the Storm Mountain trail. The actual church camp is down a gravel road.

From that parking lot, to the right side (east) is the Flume Trail which is an easy to moderate wonderful hiking only trail and no bikes are allowed. It's a very nice hike from there to Sheridan Lake and back if you have anyone with you on your trip who won't be mountain biking and needs something to do while you are on Storm Mountain trail getting your thrills. To the left side of the parking lot or to the west side, you will see a singletrack that heads over the grassy meadow/field and into the woods. That is the trail you want to take. Chances are, you will see other cars in the lot (depends on the time and the day) and may run into some other mountain bikers. Or maybe not. Mountain biking still seems to be one of the best kept secrets about the Black Hills.

Just follow it as it winds its way through varied terrain, crosses some fire roads and there are a couple places where you ride on the fire road for 50 - 100 feet or so before picking up the singletrack on the other side again. The descent into the camp finish makes a big, steep drop onto a steep fire/jeep road that goes down into the base of the church camp. That's 1/2 the ride as now you must finish the loop by riding back up to the parking lot where you began. 2 ways, either ride the gravel road all the way back for a quicker return or take the singletrack at the top part of the church camp across the road from the first cabin/lodge. It's on the left side of the gravel road and crosses around a small creek and up through the trees on a grunt climb or two. Not being from there and never having ridden in a race there, I haven't really figured out if there is a separate loop all the way back to the parking lot that is different trail than the one you came in on, or if you just pick up the original trail at some point during your climb (usually what I do about 1/2 way up) and ride the same trail back to the parking lot where you started. Either way, it is easy to get back to where you started either using the trail or the gravel road. One full loop is a pretty good ride and workout, 2 loops is bliss and you will sleep very well that night.:cool:

You won't be far from Sheridan Lake while you are in Hill City and could pick up sections of the Centennial Trail (multi-use trail of bikes, hikers, horses).

Here are some photographs of my first rides out there back in 2004 (Centennial Trail and Storm Mountain Trail):

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=57650&highlight=Discovering+Paha+Sapa

I think you will be just fine on your own. Just do a little reading of the trail reviews, stop in at Sparrow's LBS or ask around once you are in the Black Hills. There are plenty of other trails around, but since you will be in Hill City - Centennial and Storm are a stone's throw. Not to mention the Mickelson trail runs right through Hill City. Although not a mountain biking specific trail (it is a limestone chip trail that is an old railroad bed and runs the entire length of the Hills), you might enjoy riding south on the trail from Hill City to Crazy Horse Monument and then to Custer and back for a nice trip. I did it one time while the trail was covered in 3 inches of fresh snow. Just bring a bike lock so you can lock your bike and go in at the Crazy Horse shops/museum/tour as well as locking your bike up in Custer so you can get some food and recover before heading back. There is a daily use fee for the Mickelson Trail and the trailhead in Hill City has the form, envelop and deposit box to pay your fee.

Have a great visit and enjoy the Hills.

BB

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jason, hey it looks like I may have some family obligation in the afternoon. So, I'm probably going to have hit is pretty early. If your work schedual changes, let me know. Thanks for keeping me in mind. Matt 605-254-5941.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Matt,

I will take my riding stuff to the office in the morning! I will see if I can take the morning off and maybe meet around 9:00 or 9:30. Probably smarter any way to try and ride before the afternoon heats up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.