Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fake it 'til you make it
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ciappa: Fuuck mountain biking...hiking is where it's at! I've never been a fan until now; I look forward to a sweet Summer of anti-mountain bike Wilderness and beautiful scenery. Ha! Have fun at Whistler, Squids!!!! :ciappa:

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
I've been on some great hikes, but I still took my mtn bike with me.

JLantz said:
:ciappa: Fuuck mountain biking...hiking is where it's at! I've never been a fan until now; I look forward to a sweet Summer of anti-mountain bike Wilderness and beautiful scenery. Ha! Have fun at Whistler, Squids!!!! :ciappa:

·
Fake it 'til you make it
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, seriously- I'm not going to quit MTB :eek: . But, I M DUM for having held a "hiking is stupid" mindframe, indeed.

It was great to get out on some off-limit trails. They really are beautiful and worthwhile. I did not miss my bike or feel shafted for not being able to ride them.

So, yeah, Hiking is Awesome! I'm through with my wheels-only mindset. :)

Can I hike A-Line? :confused:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If i had bought a 29er i would probably take up hiking alot more too. Either that or crocheting.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
You know before this thread loses control to those who aren't in the know.

i don't think many people that mountain bike are against hikers or hiking. Quite the opposite as i personally enjoy a good hike myself.

But the facts are that well before you bought a mountain bike, user groups that consisted of hikers were against mountain biking and used tactics to the point that we as mountain bikers have to work 20 times as hard to get new trails or keep access to trails. That's why we're left in the poor situation we're in.

Hardly any trails open to us in the I-90 corridor, which limits the trails we can go, which created crowding.
So instead you have mountain bikers creating illegal trails, some cross country, some downhill (now known as freeride)
Growing of advocacy and tolerance of our recreation/sport grows we are given crumbs here or there in the form of all of our big current local projects. Fighting to keep trails open to us like Orcas, but only in the winter and if we do trail work. Breaking backs on Tiger on a trail that was and is meant to be mission impossible to keep sustainable. Getting Middle Fork re-opened after it closing on bogus terms where we agree to bogus terms to keep it open, working in a pile of dust, dog and human ****, and hypodermic needles under Colonnade and turn it somehow into a mountain bike destination.

There are alot of people that bore the brunt of alot of b.s. in order to get mountain biking to where it is. So, whatever your intention of this thread to wander, i thought it pertinent to add a little bit of history to this thread.

Back to crocheting...

·
Fake it 'til you make it
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I'm game for this discussion.

Between Seattle and Snoqualmie Pass, off of I-90, what existing, legitimate trails do you (not just Skookum; but everyone else reading this) think should be opened to MTB?

·
Banned
776 Posts
None of the trails in the I-90 corridor were designed with hiking in mind. The existing gradients would be difficult, and sometimes impossible to climb, hence a large proportion of the trails would require substantial hike a bike with almost all of the trails requiring 3800-4200 feet of ascent. With such great rides like Icicle Ridge done each year by probably less than 1-3% of the existing mountain bike community would creating more trails satisfy the average rider?

Furthermore, large talus fields exist near the summits of many of the peaks, or pass through fragile meadows. A whole new system of trails would have to be built to accommodate bikers. I would say chances of that happening are near 0.0%

It could be done, but Washington states in-situ land managers aren't going to create the climate of say Southern BC. Look at what Stevens Pass is having to go through to create a bike park.

Having said all that, if you had a trail system that went from Granite to Mailbox, and summited every peak in between (Defiant, Bandera, etc) you would have a trail network which would easily rival the 7 summits near Rossland.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
Since you started from Seattle, we could start with most of Tiger and Cougar Mountains, and then the Middle Fork, where it should be either opened to bikes on the same schedule as hikers, or perhaps closed to hikers seasonally as well.

The PCT is the one I really want.

JL, as I recall about two years ago you started a similar thread for a school project on Wilderness. What ever became of that?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
JLantz said:
OK, I'm game for this discussion.

Between Seattle and Snoqualmie Pass, off of I-90, what existing, legitimate trails do you (not just Skookum; but everyone else reading this) think should be opened to MTB?
It's important to state that i'm speaking of the history up until this point. Y'know the 90's....
Tiger and Cougar had been closed, we were allowed 3 trails on Tiger which if you look through this thread you'll find alot of pertinant information concerning this topic.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=429185

Concerning Middle Fork up until now it has been re-opened but now with restrictions.

Grand Ridge has be re-done and built like a hiking trail, the topography is conducive to decent cardio training, but everybody knows the routing, drainage, and trail build techniques are sub-par for biking. And i am confident that Duthie's XC trail building will provide perfect example in contrast.

These are all examples of riding areas that now exist but didn't before. They created a REAL problem for riders with no local place to ride. That's why places like Sawyer Tolt Victor Falls were and are created.
And all of these places have stipulations that mountain bikers had to make concession to.

This stuff is fact.

Just before we get into hypotheticals let's talk what is real and has happened and is happening.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Nice zdfg! Cougar mountain if it was open to mountain bikes would see a lot of use and probably some new trails. The slopes are nowhere near as steep as nearby Squak Mtn which hardly gets any use from hikers or bikers. I am guessing there are a few bandits out there that hit Cougar up anyway. I remember doing a trail that started at the top and dropped all the way to Issaquah-Renton road near Newport Way. Its been a while since Harvey passed away you kind of wonder whether Cougar could be revisited for access. This will probably get Borneo going again. Heres a link to a map of Cougar showing the 35 miles of trail some of which are open to horses. By the way Harvey didnt even like XC trail runners and probably would have banned them if he could have.
http://www.metrokc.gov/ftp/gis/Web/VMC/recreation/CM_0504.pdf

I had to add this Wiki entry for Harvey. Someone from the BBTC could have written part of it. Very cool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Manning

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.