Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The below thread about hikers placing traps on the trail has got me thinking a little. I've ran across a trails traps at Patasco, MD and Kanawha State Forest, WV a couple times and while there was little I could do other than clear them off, I also told myself that if I ever caught one of the SOB's that I would grap and drag 'em to the rangers station.

I'm just wondering has anyone ever actually caught someone in the act and if so what did you do?

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
Oh Damn man!

crashedandburned said:
The below thread about hikers placing traps on the trail has got me thinking a little. I've ran across a trails traps at Patasco, MD and Kanawha State Forest, WV a couple times and while there was little I could do other than clear them off, I also told myself that if I ever caught one of the SOB's that I would grap and drag 'em to the rangers station.

I'm just wondering has anyone ever actually caught someone in the act and if so what did you do?
I live in Howard County, MD dude. I've come across groups of stoners and drunks in Patapsco and that was bad enough don't tell me I gotta deal with friggin TRAPS too!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Are you sure they are traps being placed by hikers and not

1) big piles of logs being placed along the trail by other mt bikers because they feel the trail is being corrupted by people riding an easier line (see Gambrill) or

2) blown down debris from some of the crazy storms we have been having this summer.

I haven't been to Avalon for a few weeks, but haven't seen this. But I may have assumed it was one of the above if I saw logs in the trail.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I've found traps In SF Bay Area

coming down Havey Canyon I found a windfall of Eucalyptus crossing diagonally to the trail. I stopped to clear the fall but as I worked on this I found, enmeshed within, additional branches of a different age and tree type which extended, thick end out and into the leaves on the trail. Also hidden in the leaves were large logs. I cleaned out the foreign wood and moved as much of the windfall as I could but it was quite large. I broke off what I could to clear the path.
Later, as I was leaving the park I saw one of our Ranger dudes and told him what I found, exactly where it was, and what I thought was happening. He didn't bat an eye and just said that he loved that trail and would go up and clear it tomorrrow.
Later that week my 11 y/o son and I went down that trail and it was clear.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
triscuit said:
Are you sure they are traps being placed by hikers and not

1) big piles of logs being placed along the trail by other mt bikers because they feel the trail is being corrupted by people riding an easier line (see Gambrill) or

2) blown down debris from some of the crazy storms we have been having this summer.

I haven't been to Avalon for a few weeks, but haven't seen this. But I may have assumed it was one of the above if I saw logs in the trail.
The one trap at Patapsco I was refering to was on the "log" trail. Second downhill trail before the dam that has the log pileup at the trail head. I was comming down the trail building up a little speed to get over the pileup when I come around the conner to find a 2' diameter log rolled right in the middle of the path forcing a person to go around the log pile. I rolled it off the trail, but someone who couldn't have stopped in time "I was doing some low flying" couldn't got hurt pretty good and screwed up their bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts