Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3400 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
it comes in my color, blue lol. I'm not sure about the component package as a noob I don't know how the yari forks compare or the new sx sram. I would like to get the highest build I can afford but man it's a bit pricey. wonder if I should just get a leftover 2019? but the 2020 does look sweet

·
Registered
45 Posts
it comes in my color, blue lol. I'm not sure about the component package as a noob I don't know how the yari forks compare or the new sx sram. I would like to get the highest build I can afford but man it's a bit pricey. wonder if I should just get a leftover 2019? but the 2020 does look sweet
I wouldn't be scared of the Yari at all. I have one on my Chameleon, and I honestly can't tell it from my Pike, and it's better than the 34 Rhythm that came on the Chameleon. No experience with the SX SRAM, but I did have NX 11 speed for a while and it was serviceable.

·
shredthögnar
182 Posts
would get the new geo any day over minor fork upgrade. Anyways the new gen debonair yari beats the old harsh yari by miles. Great fork for the price

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah, there are some fantastic deals on 2019s right now.

Stoked on the aluminum option.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Hightower V2 carbon bikes seem to stack up very close to the Megatower in weight. It seems the penalty for aluminum is about 2 lbs. on other SC bikes and the reward is $1000 left in your in pocket.

·
Registered
189 Posts
so as I'm still looking at bikes in my price range and I really like the Hightower, anyone want to give their opinion on the 2 lower base priced aluminum builds? seems the only difference in the alum R is the forks over the D build. I currently ride a 2016 giant stance 1, base model so I kind of feel like these choices wouldn't break the bank but would should be a big step forward for me.
thanks for your thoughts
rob

·
Registered
317 Posts
so as I'm still looking at bikes in my price range and I really like the Hightower, anyone want to give their opinion on the 2 lower base priced aluminum builds? seems the only difference in the alum R is the forks over the D build. I currently ride a 2016 giant stance 1, base model so I kind of feel like these choices wouldn't break the bank but would should be a big step forward for me.
thanks for your thoughts
rob
The fork on the R build is likely quite a bit better than the D build as the Yari is basically a lyrik with a less costly damper (which can be upgraded to the lyrik damper at a later date). The drive train and brakes are also a model level lower, but in the long run I would likely upgrade both to some level above either the R or D build anyway. I don't think the R build is worth a $600 premium over the D build unless you don't plan on upgrading the R build above its current spec down the road. That being said the R build is a ready to ride build.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lots of positive reviews already on the new Hightower and little in the way of complaints on the increase in weight. That seems to be a thing with current designs. There is little left to do for me other then get hold of a demo and ride the bike where I usually ride a bike and decide for myself if this is or isn't the bike for me.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yeh---go demo---these initial reviews are not of much use as they have a marketing bent for sure. The angles on this bike are a bit too extreme for me---just do not get along with a STA that steep as they put too much pressure on my arthritic hands-----was in Santa Cruz yesterday riding at Wilder but did not bother to go see the bike at the factory even as I drove right past it-------perhaps the upcoming TB will be more my style

Note there are plenty of unbooked factory demo's as of this morning over the next few weeks but that may not stay the case for long

1 - 20 of 3400 Posts