Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a great deal on a brand new XO1 build Hightower LT. Debating buying it and then swapping my bars, stem and wheels off my current Hightower and selling that. Based on the market I think I could do this without taking a massive hit.

I guess my first question for you guys is do you think the LT is worth the cost and trouble to upgrade. The second question is should I just man up and buy a megatower? Cost wise the LT seems to make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
785 Posts
1. Hightower LT does NOT equal Megatower, HTLT fits in/rides more like the Hightower 2
2. Do you ride a smaller frame, if so sure you might like the HTLT...although it really won't ride much different than your HT (shock dependent off course). As a taller XL rider I definitely prefer the steeper SAs on the new crop of bikes as slack SAs are only exaggerated on us.
3. The Megatower is NOT your long legged all rounder, its tuned to be more of an Enduro specific weapon. Again, if you're looking more HTLT/HT then HT2 is the bike to look at.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the tough thing. I don’t think my local trails justify a megatower but I do enjoy riding highland mountain. My thought was that if I like my 2016 Hightower C with gx 11 speed on the trails, the XO1 build cc LT should be comparable but give me that little extra travel out back for the downhill days. I currently ride an XL frame. The HTLT is marked from $6800 to $5400. I can get a much nicer build but the geometry is a bit dated.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I own an HT LT and was convinced I wanted a Hightower v2. Went and demoed a HT v2 and Megatower today.

My quick take - and my HTLT is a Med and I run a Fox 36 160mm.

- Rode a Small Megatower. Loved it. Super plush. Reminded very much of my HTLT with a plusher rear suspension. I found the fit on the S MT to be similar to my M HTLT. Pedaled well. Climbed well, but not fast. Feels sluggish up the climbs. Great if you're not in any hurry. HT LT feels like it climbs quicker. Overall the MT surprised me. SUPER FUN bike!!

- Rode a Medium Hightower v2. Did not like it. For one it felt too big so that skews my overall impression. Bars were 800's too which made it worse. Not everyone digs this whole longer/slacker trend. Did NOT feel plush. Could be from poor settings, but both bikes were aired up to my weight per SC specs. I didn't dig the Lyrik. I'm used to Fox 36's. It climbed well and felt much more efficient than the MT. I'd say on par with the HT LT, maybe a little better due to rolling better over roots with the rear end.

Bottom line, I think I scratched the itch that I will likely keep my HT LT. At the very least, I'd consider the MT way before the HT2, and would look for something like a Tallboy or 5010 to complement.

To my the HT 2 feels like it's a stuck in between. Not burly enough to roll over everything and be super plush, yet not light and agile enough to be a true trail bike. Many claim it the best of both worlds... I think it's the worst of both worlds. YMMV.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If I were you, I would extend your fork to 150mm (if not already) and pick up a gx eagle cassette DR and shifter and call it a day. The difference between the HT and HTLT doesn't justify the cost. You might consider picking up a piggy back shock as well. The DVO Topaz is an excellent fit for the HT and can be used with either a 50mm (HT) or 57mm (HTLT) stroke.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I were you, I would extend your fork to 150mm (if not already) and pick up a gx eagle cassette DR and shifter and call it a day. The difference between the HT and HTLT doesn't justify the cost. You might consider picking up a piggy back shock as well. The DVO Topaz is an excellent fit for the HT and can be used with either a 50mm (HT) or 57mm (HTLT) stroke.
My fork has a 150mm debonair shaft in it and an MRP ramp control. I have a DPX2 sitting on the shelf waiting for mounting hardware. From all accounts it sounds like I am better off riding my OGHT. This bike seemed like too good of a deal to pass up but if I am only going to be making minimal gains then it probably isn't worth the $2500 or so that it would end up costing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I demo'd a HT and HTLT back to back for 2 days on multiple trails before making a decision. The HT might have been marginally better climbing, but I thought the HTLT was significantly better going downhill and on rocky terrain. Just a much more plush and forgiving ride and I don't think I gave up much on the climbs--and where I ride has a great deal of climbing. I've only ridden the Mega on a short dirt trail. It felt like a lot of bike and more than I need for my riding, but that's based on a quick ride. I haven't ridden the new Hightower yet.

·
No Clue Crew
7,647 Posts
LOL, interestingly enough, LCW was so incensed that he negative-repped me with a comment about how snide I was.

Is that what grown men do now? Passive-aggressive weirdness instead of just having an adult conversation? Strange times ...

But, yes, please hit me up next time you're in town. August is brutal here; I'm down to riding once maybe twice a week since it's monsoon season, so both hot AND humid.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Demo'd the OG HT (Large with Rockshox suspension), owned an HTLT (Large with Fox Suspension and now own an MT (Large with Fox front, RS rear)

If you're looking to have two bikes then a MT as your park/big mountain day bike and a Tallboy or similar as you normal trail bike is hard to beat. I LOVE my megatower but I certainly feel the weight and extra squish when I take it on XCish trails. It just doesn't seems and snappy as my HTLT was on tamer trails. It can handle long days (did a couple 17+ miles days in Sedona) but it certainly isn't the best tool for the job.

The HTLT was like the perfect all-arounder. It handled daily XC rides without feeling like a pig but also was plenty capable for multiple park days a year. I still do really miss it but have really enjoyed the two bike setup I'm currently spoiled with.

I never really got along with the OG hightower and I'm not sure if that was not loving the RS stuff that was out then or just a poor setup of pressures on my part. It just felt like it was too harsh for really chunky stuff despite its travel. My Tallboy felt plusher.

That being said, I would say if you build up the HT with a good piggyback shock and go to 150mm on the fork then you would most likely be damn close to the HTLT.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I never really got along with the OG hightower and I'm not sure if that was not loving the RS stuff that was out then or just a poor setup of pressures on my part. It just felt like it was too harsh for really chunky stuff despite its travel. My Tallboy felt plusher.
RS Monarch was not a great match with the OGHT. The 2018 and 2019 with the Fox DPS was easier to setup and less wallowy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a Megatower this year. It's my only bike, and I absolutely love it. I rode a Pivot Mach 6 for years, which I loved. But the Megatower for me, is amazing. I'll concede 'it's a lot of bike', and there are times when it's probably unnecessary for a bunch of my local trails. But it climbs so well, and I'm so used to it at this point, that I don't feel like I need another bike.

It's the first & only Santa Cruz bike I've ridden (being on Pivot for so long) so I can't speak at all to the comparison between it and the HTLT. But what I can say, is that it's a beast on descents, and it's a very capable climber, probably more so than you assume before riding one.

No regrets here.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
That is the tough thing. I don't think my local trails justify a megatower but I do enjoy riding highland mountain. My thought was that if I like my 2016 Hightower C with gx 11 speed on the trails, the XO1 build cc LT should be comparable but give me that little extra travel out back for the downhill days.
I've owned both the HTLT and MT. I bought the HTLT thinking it would cover trail riding and the occasional park day (Windrock). I would not recommend buying the HTLT for improved capability at the bike park. The geo is better suited to a trail bike. It's just sketchy at high speeds and/or very steep terrain. I even extended my fork to 160mm and it didn't make much difference, except the slack seat tube angle was even worse. The MT is a whole other beast and feels much more at home riding gnarly DH. It actually climbs better. The downside is navigating tight terrain. I'd recommend either keeping your OG Hightower or getting the MT (or both).

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's a lot of impressions from one ride on a wrong-sized bike.
Yep, there's a lot of conflict in those sizes across the 3 different models.
Both HT2 and MT medium are overall bigger than a HTLT Med
But riding a small MT is closer in size to the HTLT medium so probably a little reason why it felt better as it would be similar size to his bike but with different feel with the new lower link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.