Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point out the difference in riding characteristics between a HighRoller and a Minion tyre?
They both are renowned for their awesome grip, but I have no experience with these tyres.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The Minion is tall ramped knobs in the center area and slightly more space on the edge blocks. The High Roller has a lower center section and tall edge blocks with less spacing.

My experience is the high roller edge blocks save you from falls you otherwise would have and the Minion has more continuous traction as you move to the edge.

I like the High Roller for quick turns that are not long enough to do much with and the Minion for longer faster corners. The names are pretty accurate. The Minions do what you say and the High Rollers save you if you make a mistake.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The minion is a great tire for up front along w/ a high roller in the back. The minion is very predicatable from side to side transition. The high roller up front doesn't seem to track as well but is great for hard corning. A high roller in the rear is fun as the rear tends to drift in the corners until you really lean the bike then it grabs before you loose it.

Minion = even traction from one side to the other
High roller = awesome side traction w/ decent strait line traction, sketchy when riding between side knobs and center knobs.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Everyone is on point with both tires traits.

My fav combo is DHF front and HR in rear. Great grip up front and nice rolling resistance in rear. Or, you can run DHF both front and rear.

Don't care for HR in front for their "slide then grip" cornering chracteristic.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
Don't care for HR in front for their "slide then grip" cornering chracteristic.
Agreed.

I'm running a UST High Roller on the front and was really hating it for the reason that you mention. It feels more predictable now that I've dropped the air pressure from 30 psi to 24 psi.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Now for something completely different.

Try running the Minion DHF in the rear, reversed so the square edges give climbing grip.

I am running one right now at 27psi(ghetto) and it grips the loose climbs like velcro. Makes a nice compliment to the Geax DHEA in front.:thumbsup:

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I am surprised to hear that there are others who reverse the DHF tread direction to gain more forward bite. It's darn near impossible for my rear DHF tire to spinout.

In rear setup, DHR does have a slight advantage in forward bite vs. DHF but it does roll heavier.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
I am surprised to hear that there are others who reverse the DHF tread direction to gain more forward bite. It's darn near impossible for my rear DHF tire to spinout.

In rear setup, DHR does have a slight advantage in forward bite vs. DHF but it does roll heavier.
I honestly think the DHF reversed in the back hooks up better than the DHR, and the DHR I had seemed like it wore out really fast, so it's traction degraded significantly in just a few rides.

I had taken the DHF off the front because it seemed to be one of those "all or nothing" cornering tires. Felt like it cornered best if you really cranked it into a turn. Kinda sketchy in the transition area. The DHEA seems more forgiving in those more moderate corners.

So I ended up with a fairly new DHF hanging around and when my rear tire wore out I decided to try it as a rear tire, and I like it in that role far better than as a front tire. I don't notice the kinda dead transition zone with it in back at all.

·
Propr
1,192 Posts
Is there any reason not to use the DHR for the Rear and the DHF for the Front?

It seems like a lot of people across the 'board' are using the DHF for Front & Rear. Or like in this thread DHF reversed for Rear.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Not at all. Both excell at what they were desigend to do. It just that DHF has a versatile foot print that can be used in front or rear.

If you have DHF in front and rear, you can rotate the half worn front to rear and install the new DHF to front.

·
Propr
1,192 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
Not at all. Both excell at what they were designed to do. It just that DHF has a versatile foot print that can be used in front or rear.

If you have DHF in front and rear, you can rotate the half worn front to rear and install the new DHF to front.
Good point! I feel better about my purchase now ;) Got some 2.5 3C's the other day...looking forward to rollin'.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Climbing / rolling resistance

Quote from SingleTrackHound:
"My fav combo is DHF front and HR in rear. Great grip up front and nice rolling resistance in rear."

I like the idea of lower rolling resistance during extended fire road / tarmac climbs.
Is there a consensus amongst forummembers that the HighRoller rolls with less resistance?

I can imagine that a HighRoller will only have optimum grip under braking OR climbing, depending on which direction the tyre is mounted, since the center knobs are ramped in one direction.
What is your experience?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.