Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FM and I decided that we've been working too hard building trails this winter and haven't been riding nearly enough. The lack of exercise and quality rides has started to get to us…..and obviously our bikes. Today, we took advantage of an absolutely beautiful day in the PNW and headed out to some of our favorite local trails to work out some of the kinks. We should have known something was awry when FM's highline tried to jump off his bike rack on the way over to my house. :skep:

After loading up both bikes and the dogs, we headed out to the trails where all seemed perfectly normal.

Climbing up the trails, FM was suspicious of the glowing orb in the sky and yet he persevered. On the climbs, we noticed that the Highline pedaled great as did the Gran mal. We both are running a 22 x 34 gear combo for climbing and only the hangovers and steepness of the climb made us get off the bikes to push a couple of stretches. FM said the Highline climbs like a billy goat, so I decided to one-up him with my best Rich Cunningham imitation "the Gran Mal climbs like a scalded monkey". Winner: Even

Once at the top, we did a bit of hiking to see some new work up top that some buddies have been putting in. This was a day with no trail work for us though….which is a long time coming. Still the Highline and Gran Mal seemed to be getting along initially.

All of a sudden and without warning, the bikes started arguing….disputing who was the better bike from the better company. "DT is pretty much, like, the best bike co. owner" said the Highline. "Word, but can he do 30 foot gaps on his bike like Kevin and Kyle?" rebutted the Gran Mal. "Who gives a f*ck….it's American made beyotch….look at those welds!" said the Highline. "Transition isn't some blinged out company out of SoCal….it's in B'ham where people really ride the gnar" the Gran Mal fired back. Wow, FM and I looked on in amazement thinking the fun-natured ribbing was really getting personal when all of a sudden…….the Highline ejected it's seatpost into the front wheel of the Gran Mal. Thank God I wasn't riding it at the time!!! :eek:

At this point, it was like a WWF wrestling match. The Gran mal leapt onto the Highline for FR supremacy. It said something to the effect of "put this in your zirk fitting and smoke it……" as it went airborne like it was jumping from a turnbuckle.

Here I was trying to separate the two after they got into it. It's not easy to lift a 45 lb. FR bike that's intent on throwing down!

Just as we thought all was calm again, the Highline pulled a crazy move throwing the Gran Mal up onto an old growth cedar stump that was 6 or 7 feet tall and then standing on top of it showing it who was boss. It was at that moment that it exclaimed "let's see your maxle rear end beyotch!". Winner: Highline

At this point, FM and I finally got them separated for good. We realized they needed to get on with our ride…..letting them cool their jets and work off the energy on some burly PNW trails. After the dust had cleared, we looked to see if there was any damage to our rigs. Initially, FM thought he had a broken chainstay, but it was thankfully only a scratch. Whew, that was close!!

Finally, it was on to some riding..... Me hitting a mossy rock race….the Gran Mal chimed in "you want to run a shorter stroke shock and keep the BB low, you're gonna get hung up on rollers like this…..have fun sucka!"

FM rolling the same steep rock with moss on it. The Highline laughed in the face of the steep roller and exalted "Low BB??? I'll beat the Gran Mal like a red-headed Manitou". An obvious dig on the Gran Mal's Travis……ouch.

FM on another patented rock face. Winner: Even

Me catching a little air off of a fun rock. No air pics of FM today, so the obvious Winner: Gran Mal

Some mild posturing on the bikes' parts during a break later in the ride. Neither one wants to give even the slightest edge. Due to the FF hanging from the bars, it does give the Highline more street cred. Winner: Highline

After the ride, the Gran mal and the Highline enjoyed a frosty beverage together and further cemented their tumultuous friendship. Who won this shootout? Too close to call probably. The Highline had a scratched chainstay, but it also got the last laugh with that stump move and jamming his rear end in the face of the Gran Mal - a cheeky move, for sure.

Stay tuned for the next installment where we'll see which headtube holds up better to ghost riding off of big hucks…….. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
EBX

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,761 Posts
lol ... you two aren't right in the head.

ps: I can't believe it's short sleeve weather up by you.

pss: do you really "need" a granny for your fireroad climbs or could you grunt out the climb in a 34/34 combo?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,000 Posts
I think you guys need more rain.....obliviously you get in a "europhoric state" when getting too much sun rays

good story:thumbsup:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nick. said:
lol ... you two aren't right in the head.

pss: do you really "need" a granny for your fireroad climbs or could you grunt out the climb in a 34/34 combo?
Nick, you ain't the first person to say that! ;)

Yeah, a 34/34 combo is possible (I've seen dudes do it), but this climb is 45-60 minutes without taking any breaks, so a granny is really necessary if you want to have any energy for the descents. Actually, most of our best local trails and a lot of trails on the Shore, Squamish and Whistler (out of the park) aren't shuttleable, so a granny is a must-have in our part of the world. To be honest, it helps keep traffic and visibility on some of them low since many people aren't willing to make the effort.

Wow, FM I'm going to have to get some snapshots of my BB height and wheelbase too. Good info! :D

EBX

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
EBX, thanks for a most entertaining story. It sounds like that highline has an attitude problem; picking fights with it's buddies and all. :D It's probably embarrassed by the color of it's rear shock; I imagine all the schoolmates rag on it's "electric pink" color.:lol:

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Nick. said:
ps: I can't believe it's short sleeve weather up by you.

Ah it's back to upper 40's and rain today I think. A sunny day and good trail conditions were a real treat, and much needed. My attitude (and obviously my bikes too) was getting foul- but all better now!

As for climbing- No way I've got the fitness to do these climbs with a taller gear. Some push up while others climb a lot faster than I do; I just try and save my energy for the downhill!

EB, lets see thos measurements!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Renegade said:
EBX, thanks for a most entertaining story. It sounds like that highline has an attitude problem; picking fights with it's buddies and all. :D It's probably embarrassed by the color of it's rear shock; I imagine all the schoolmates rag on it's "electric pink" color.:lol:
No problem, Rene. Both bikes seemed to have a chip on their shoulder.....maybe it was their lack of recent ride time? I know FM and I have been on edge lately as well from lack of ridetime..... :madman:

Since FM posted pics of the Highline measurements, I thought I'd run to the garage and snap a couple as well. Notice the measurements! :eek: :p :D

EBX

Attachments

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Come on now,

show us the real pics. You know the one's i'm talking about? Where the Gran Mal tries to swap seat posts with the Highline without any foreplay? :eekster: :D

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Renegade said:
EBX, I think that maybe you need to retake that BB measurement, you know, put the bike on level ground? That tape says nineteen inches!
Rene, those measurements are using the strictest MBA shootout standards! Did you not look at FM's measurements as well? ;) :p :cool:

It's obvious the Highline's LONG wheelbase and 11.5" BB make it "corner like it's on rails"....... :D This shootout is far from done!

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Renegade said:
EBX, I think that maybe you need to retake that BB measurement, you know, put the bike on level ground? That tape says nineteen inches!
Keep in mind that my measurements at least, were taken while the bike was fully sagged. :skep:

It was really tough to sit on the bike, hold the tape measurer and focus the camera all at the same time. But I did it because I love you guys! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.