Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
bigsbymalone
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give me all your versatility stories, here's mine:

Rode 45 miles of singletrack w/a friend (he rode a 29" ss) in 5 or so hours at Kingdom Trails in VT in a day, next day 25 miles no issues. Two days later throw on a pair of 2.7's and head up to Highland Mountain for 12 runs of downhill. I'm a bike mechanic and expected this bike to work well but I had no idea it would impress me as much as it has. Killer job on this one Turner. Sorry about the lack of pics, I'll try and post up a few later. Bike weighs 41.5 btw.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This thread address exactly the question I had! Thanks!

The sale prices on the Highlines have me thinking about swapping out my 7point7 frame for a fancy Turner. I am a one bike kinda guy, and the 7point has served me well on all day rides that see me covering some serious ground including big ups and downs. So with proper gearing with a DRS, a 66 ETA and with some effort I am able to make my current 45lb bike perform on most rides I do. My question is this: will the Turner also be versatile enough to allow me to cover large distances with long, gnarly ascents? My old Rocky RMX couldn’t do it and I really don’t need a bike that I won’t allow me to go where I want. I’m sure some of you would recommend an RFX, but I do like to send it on some big jumps/drops/death chutes and I would like to not worry about blowing up/abusing a $2k frame.

So anyone who uses there Highline to cover more of the spectrum than just downhilling I would appreciate your input!

·
Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
I use mine for 95% of the riding I do, including 15 mile trail rides. The HL climbs great and descends even better. Even when the climbing gets steep, the long wheelbase helps keep the front end glued to the ground.

Attachments

·
try driving your car less
3,096 Posts
i was the other guy on those rides. we switched bikes a few times. i thought i would be waiting for the big bike with my 29er SS at the top of the hills, but no way.

the highline is stupid fun, i want one. i am actually internet shopping for an RFX.

anyone put 650b wheels on a highline or RFX? front and/or rear?

·
Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
bagtagley said:
Mine is versatile as long as I don't have to pedal it uphill.

The end.
This sounds more like an issue of fitness. MIne weighs 42lbs, and goes great uphill. Would I climb faster on a 35 lb RFX? Sure, but going down is more fun on the HL.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hmmm... versatility of the HL? Gosh, won't know until my MECHANIC finishes lacing up my new rims to CKs for the new Whip.

Whoops , It's the OP:eek:

Something about pics? Oh know wait, wait...go back to work

(btw: Good relay on your HL trips...be by w/some brewskis & finish build)

·
Living the Dream
1,819 Posts
I took mine on "the punisher" last year at lake tahoe

I've included a link to someone's description of the ride. It is 25 miles, 5100 ft of climbing, all between 7500-10000 ft. I took it on another 30 mile ride around Stanford rocks and the TRT. It has been my one trick pony for the last year. When I've mentioned getting an RFX or Spot, people have commented, "What for? You keep up with XC riders on the Highline". IMO, the only thing that the Highline makes me suffer on, is technical climbs with steep ledges. I have a 66RC3 and the Headangle makes some of this difficult for me. However, all day rides are do-able on it. The are more doable on an RFX or Spot, but the descents aren't as fun. I have a Sultan Frame waiting to get the new 2009 Reba on it. This will be my all day ride from now on. However, the Highline will still get most of my ride time.

http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Punisher2/

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Man this thread is a broken record.

It's either:
If 42lbs is too heavy to pedal uphill, you're not fit enough
Or
If you need a highline for XC-DH, you're compensating for lack of skills
Turner makes a lot of great bikes, and there's nothing from stopping anybody from hucking a flux or climbing a DHR. They are great bikes and I think we all agree they are versatile.

Just cause it wheelies up onto rock ledges great doesn't mean it climbs well. Would you choose it to climb 5k' on smooth fire roads? Only of the DH is worth it.

That's the bottom line in my book, "Only if the DH is worth it".

·
Committed
1,777 Posts
FM said:
Man this thread is a broken record.

It's either:

Turner makes a lot of great bikes, and there's nothing from stopping anybody from hucking a flux or climbing a DHR. They are great bikes and I think we all agree they are versatile.

Just cause it wheelies up onto rock ledges great doesn't mean it climbs well. Would you choose it to climb 5k' on smooth fire roads? Only of the DH is worth it.

That's the bottom line in my book, "Only if the DH is worth it".
FM speaks the truth.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.