Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rides like wrecking ball
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the Highline happen yet? Or is Turner staying true to silly bike industry claims like everyone else (i.e. 1 month quoted = 2-3 actual)? Just figured this would be the place for a sneak peak if there is one!

Interbike seems sooooo far away still....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Bulldog said:
Did the Highline happen yet? Or is Turner staying true to silly bike industry claims like everyone else (i.e. 1 month quoted = 2-3 actual)? Just figured this would be the place for a sneak peak if there is one!

Interbike seems sooooo far away still....
Hey BD,

I haven't seen anything except for last year's photos from Interbike. I think the bike is taking longer than expected. Some things you might already know:

7.5" travel
Designed for 7" fork I think

Casey was recently quoted as saying that this is the most difficult bike that Dave Turner has ever designed It seems as though nothing will be out until Interbike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
well.........

Bulldog said:
Did the Highline happen yet? Or is Turner staying true to silly bike industry claims like everyone else (i.e. 1 month quoted = 2-3 actual)? Just figured this would be the place for a sneak peak if there is one!

Interbike seems sooooo far away still....
The Highline has not happened quite yet. It is quite close to completion, with just a few last fine details being worked over by DT himself. Entire new designed bikes take a lot of time to get right, Turner does not try the quick put it out there mentallity of some companies only to find out later it really needed more time to get right. It will be worth the wait. They have a lot of work on their plate for the 2005 line up to get done and ready to show for Interbike. The DHR for example was in the making for many years before anyone even saw one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
Highline

Well the Highline is my primary focus. Will this version be at Vegas? I hope so, but I cannot guarantee it. I can tell you this. It does not look like the concept last year.
It will have a 1.5" HT. It will be the only Turner with a 2 position shock bolt effecting geometry and travel. 7" and 8.5" The 7 will work with the new Marzocchi 6" single crown family as well as the Fox 36 and some of the long Manitous. The 8.5 with the big forks with dual crowns. It will have the new 150 spacing in rear with 83mm BB. This really helps make room for the Ft. Deraileur at full travel. Shock of course will be 9.5 x 3 for proper leverage ratio. Seat tube will be full length and in the long travel position be 72 with 66 head angle. In short travel mode it will have a lower BB and steeper and with the ETA on the fork flipped be geometrically snappy to climb on. As for the weight, well look at what riders are pulling today... it will not be a one season frame. It will have a Horst link. It will be a highly thought out but un-exciting design. It is the 12 pound splitting maul of mountain bikes, simple, effective and brutally strong.

Virtually every part of this bike is new. Every machine part, the pivot design, the new Extreme bike drive train parameters, etc. It is NOT a DHR, it is not an old school free rider like the RFX. I have done so much research with this bike sometimes I think I could ride the ' Shore. The reason I am still working on it is research, and the fact that there are 3 other new models in the Turner line for '05. But the Highline will be my focus untill it goes into production sometime in early '05. I can assure you that it will be produced, and it will also be the last of the '05's to get shipped. It will also take a Monster T and whatever you can throw at it. Every year for the last few years riders have pushed the envelope right out the door. Look at Videos in 1999 compared to this year. 5 years have changed the way we look at extreme / stunts and drop riding and what is possible. This is my answer to it and I am being very analytical in it' s creation.

David Turner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
hows that for an answer

turnerbikes said:
Well the Highline is my primary focus. Will this version be at Vegas? I hope so, but I cannot guarantee it. I can tell you this. It does not look like the concept last year.
It will have a 1.5" HT. It will be the only Turner with a 2 position shock bolt effecting geometry and travel. 7" and 8.5" The 7 will work with the new Marzocchi 6" single crown family as well as the Fox 36 and some of the long Manitous. The 8.5 with the big forks with dual crowns. It will have the new 150 spacing in rear with 83mm BB. This really helps make room for the Ft. Deraileur at full travel. Shock of course will be 9.5 x 3 for proper leverage ratio. Seat tube will be full length and in the long travel position be 72 with 66 head angle. In short travel mode it will have a lower BB and steeper and with the ETA on the fork flipped be geometrically snappy to climb on. As for the weight, well look at what riders are pulling today... it will not be a one season frame. It will have a Horst link. It will be a highly thought out but un-exciting design. It is the 12 pound splitting maul of mountain bikes, simple, effective and brutally strong.

Virtually every part of this bike is new. Every machine part, the pivot design, the new Extreme bike drive train parameters, etc. It is NOT a DHR, it is not an old school free rider like the RFX. I have done so much research with this bike sometimes I think I could ride the ' Shore. The reason I am still working on it is research, and the fact that there are 3 other new models in the Turner line for '05. But the Highline will be my focus untill it goes into production sometime in early '05. I can assure you that it will be produced, and it will also be the last of the '05's to get shipped. It will also take a Monster T and whatever you can throw at it. Every year for the last few years riders have pushed the envelope right out the door. Look at Videos in 1999 compared to this year. 5 years have changed the way we look at extreme / stunts and drop riding and what is possible. This is my answer to it and I am being very analytical in it' s creation.

David Turner
Excellent timing, and all the info you will need to know about the Highline, instead of me trying to give you info, you get it right from the creators' own keyboard!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts
.........Just out of Curiosity DT, there was talk initially of trying to hit a $1600 pricepoint with the Highline. Is this still feasible? Sounds like more involved than anticipated & that typically equates to a greater cost. Thanks,

Jay Carpenter
 

·
Rides like wrecking ball
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DGC said:
The Highline has not happened quite yet. It is quite close to completion, with just a few last fine details being worked over by DT himself. Entire new designed bikes take a lot of time to get right, Turner does not try the quick put it out there mentallity of some companies only to find out later it really needed more time to get right. It will be worth the wait. They have a lot of work on their plate for the 2005 line up to get done and ready to show for Interbike. The DHR for example was in the making for many years before anyone even saw one.
I know and I agree completely. I was just quoting Turnerbikes himself/themselves on rolling protos in July and a fall release date. Development/design delays I can understand and appreciate (better than Tony E. using high-paying customers to test his designs) but production delays in the bike industry and blatant mis-quoting of ETA's are simply absurd. That last statement is aimed at the industry in general. Glad to hear this delay is only due to improving the design!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
Highline

Costs, mmmmm to be honest I am not really focusing on price when designing any more frames. The Burner was really the first and at this time the last design I try to do with price as the main objective.You are correct in stating our original goal of making it available at a $1600 price. Well, I doubt that will happen. To spec the best shock and pay for fresh tubing dies etc etc and put the toughest most protected pivot system on the market into it will cost. If I were to put a shock on with only bells and no whistles, and try and use pre existing tooling would jepordize the project's success. It seems to me, and I have sweated the Burner lesson a lot, that a Turner customer expects to have the best when it says "Turner" on the down tube. Best product within it's intended use and catagory. OF COURSE, best is an opinion, but for now best will mean the best job I can do. No compromise.

As for the constantly late industry, I cannot answer for. For Turner Bikes, the other 3 new models and when the Highline is off to fabrication 4 total in a year. Seems to be a good excuse, if not, how about I am A.D.D.! Am I eligible for a grant of something with my "dis-ability" ??

David Turner
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
turnerbikes said:
...It is the 12 pound splitting maul of mountain bikes, simple, effective and brutally strong....

Virtually every part of this bike is new... It is NOT a DHR, it is not an old school free rider ... It will also take a Monster T and whatever you can throw at it. ... 5 years have changed the way we look at extreme / stunts and drop riding and what is possible. This is my answer to it and I am being very analytical in it' s creation.
Woah baby, and what an answer it is. Talk about throwing down the gauntlet.:D
Tnx!

("Splitting maul of mountain bikes"... I love that)
 

·
Yay! Bikes !
Joined
·
1,761 Posts
Thanks for the news update Dave.
I haven't been excited about a new frame since I bought my RFX over 2 years ago. It was and is the
turnerbikes said:
Best product within it's intended use and catagory.
as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I've ever wished for was a way to squeek out a bit more travel without compromising the ride or the frame.

I, as most people reading this, will look forward to seeing the new frame as soon as possible (hopefully at interbike!)

turnerbikes said:
how about I am A.D.D.! David Turner
A.D.D. = acceleration deficit disorder?!? ;) we ALL suffer from that!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,974 Posts
turnerbikes said:
As for the weight, well look at what riders are pulling today... it will not be a one season frame. It will have a Horst link. It will be a highly thought out but un-exciting design.

David Turner
This is what makes your bikes so great. I view is as similiar to Porsche. They do not try to reinvent the wheel every 3 years, instead continuing to tweak and improve a great product.
 

·
mad aussie
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
7 or 8.5 inches, 150mm rear, heavy, heavy duty XC or full on hucking. I really, really, really want one. Hope its at interbike (planning on attending this year).
With some more "shore" stuff being built up in northern arizona and boulder city downhill trails not far away this bike could be the ticket.
All I need to do is sell a kidney to afford one and have my wife double the life insurance policy.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top