Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be rocking an 07 Highline in early to mid February! Look out Bike Paths. :D I know that I PMed a couple of you (Crash, El Chingon, Squeaky Etc) for advice after my Spot Broke and I just wanted to let you know what I decided on and to thank you for your advice/suggestions. I will be getting a large blue. Only negative is that I have to order a new wheel and headset.
Does anyone know if the 03 Holzfeller cranks are compatable with the 83 mm howitzer bottom brackets?
What rear rim do you guys recommend? (DT 5.1, Synchos DP 28, Mavic XM 321, or Mavic ex721)
Will the maxle rear work with the Highline?

Build will be as Follows

Large Blue 07 Highline
07 66 SL ATA
Jones H Bars :p Just Kidding but maybe on my Single Speed
Easton EA70 Monkey Bar
Magura Louise Freeride Brakes
Nevegal 2.5 Front
WTB 2.55 LT Rear
Hope pro 2 Hubs
Front Rim Dt 5.1
Thompson 70mm Stem
FSA Orbit Pro Headset
Holfzfeller Cranks
WTB Lazer Team Dh Saddle
Thompson Post
Sram X9 Drivetrain
Heim Guide with MRP Roller--Pure Homer ;)

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the 7" Travel.

Talking to Greg @ Turner, I didn't realize there was a travel option. I though 07 is all 7". I definately prefer the shorter travel geometry (Slacker & Lower BB). I better confirm with them.

FM said:
Nice. You going with the 7.25" set-up in back (8.5" shock)? I would suggest it, with a 66 in front.

Prepare for extreme stoked-ness!

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Alpenglow said:
Talking to Greg @ Turner, I didn't realize there was a travel option. I though 07 is all 7". I definately prefer the shorter travel geometry (Slacker & Lower BB). I better confirm with them.
'07s are coming stock with the shorter shock... it's perfect!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Congrats! excellent choice :thumbsup:

I have a spare rear wheel from my HL that i'd part with if you're interested.
Blue hadley on a DTSwiss 6.1 built by The Path bike shop. Used for about a month until my I9s came in. Was going to use it as a spare if the I9 ever needed to be serviced but I've got 2 other bikes to ride while the HL would be down.

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure he will say

FoShizzle said:
5.1 rim is too XC for that bike....you need some less girly-man rims on that frame

I am sure Dusty has some good advice for your Highline build
to carry extra chain stays.:D But I have confidence in the highline. I'll ride with dusty and carry his extra bearings for his VPFree and he can carry my chainstays. Mad Props for that drop he attempted in Virgin. BTW, did you read his Post on Telemarking? Classic.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=259296&highlight=telemark

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More rim questions

Do the DS28s work with the Maxxis rimstrips? Are they more durable than the st swiss 5.1s?

Thanks.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Alpenglow said:
Do the DS28s work with the Maxxis rimstrips? Are they more durable than the st swiss 5.1s?

Thanks.
there is not gonna be any real data supporting them being tougher one way or the other. Not sure on the rimstrips.....having said that, having had both and using my crystal ball, I would put money on the DS28s being able to take more abuse.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Great choice John. I too will be running an older Holzfeller Crankset on my bike. I'll be using of the of the FSA BB's in the 83 X 128 size. Be sure to post pics when she arrives!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Alpenglow said:

Thanks.
Yes, the DS28 will work with the 26A1 rim strip if you put in a layer of Velox tape first. Not sure about the durability. My 5.1 have held up as well as my DS28's did.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
you need the dt 4.1 rims for the bike paths, and a bell, and red reflectors to accent the blue. make sure you wear lightweight matching lycra outfits as well.

j.k.
:ciappa:

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm actually gonna run 1.95 slicks

and I have a Dainese shuttle suit on the way to wear under my custom flame lycra outfit. I am trying to get TLD to paint me up a custom D2 (open face) helmet to match. So far it's a no go. :madman:

SHAHEEB said:
you need the dt 4.1 rims for the bike paths, and a bell, and red reflectors to accent the blue. make sure you wear lightweight matching lycra outfits as well.

j.k.
:ciappa:

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you know if the Maxle Rear

El Chingon said:
Great choice John. I too will be running an older Holzfeller Crankset on my bike. I'll be using of the of the FSA BB's in the 83 X 128 size. Be sure to post pics when she arrives!
axel is compatable with the 07 highlines? I ordered the same BB through Red Barn.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.