Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I modded the Marzocchi 40 to have an axle to crown of about 581mm, or 22.875, which suits this bike a lot better than what it was originally. I rode it yesterday up Mt Elden Rd in Flag (~2000' vertical up), but I let my brother ride it down, so I have no idea how it rides downhill, but of course I know that it climbs like...well it climbs exactly like it should for it's weight. Anyhow next on the list of things to do is to get new (bigger) tires, maybe a diff seat, 12-34 cassette.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Jayem said:
I rode it yesterday up Mt Elden Rd in Flag (~2000' vertical up), but I let my brother ride it down.
:eek: Jayem, you rode that beast up Mt Elden Rd and did not ride it down? :eekster:

Your brother owes you big time.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got to do some descending on it today, dialing some stuff in, finding some new problems, etc. The biggest significant problem is the front brake, the code. It starts vibrating and howling and making the bike feel like it's about to explode. So that has to be taken care of first. Otherwise I was getting the damping as dialed as I can (on the DHX) and the higher front end seems to help a lot with the handling, compared to the axle to crown that I had before that was somewhat too short. I'm also thinking the 40mm stem is just a tad too short, a 50-60 would be better IMO, but this will do for now.

Pedals just fine, but it ain't light, so it's a PITA, especially with the cassette that I had on hand. I'll get that fixed eventually. I'm also used to standing and climbing DH bikes uphill, so it's no major feat for me to do some of the climbing I did yesterday...except that my brother is not a mountain biker so going slow makes it hurt more. The bikes I slugged up Mt Elden road were even heavier.

As far as weight, it'll be a while before I can weigh it, but it ain't going to be light obviously.

Some of the parts spec:
Marzocchi 40 ;)
DHX coil with 500lb spring
Truvativ Holzfeller cranks, 34t
Truvativ howitzer 100mm BB
Truvativ Holzfeller 40mm stem
Truvativ Holzfeller 31.8x710 bar
Truvativ box-guide
Avid Code 5 brakes, 203mm
Azonic Outlaw wheels
Shimano 545 pedals for now
Shimano XT rear derailer for now
Shimano XT front shifter
FSA Orbit Xtreme 1.5R headset
Kenda 2.6 tires (pretty crappy, I know)

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Soon the Truvative hammertime felter habenfunninkranken will be installed, I hope.

Whatever that cool thing is called.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts