Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all!

I am planning to buy a highline and I need some questions answered by people who already have info and if possible straight from DT himself :

1.) I am 5' 8", what size of highline frame do i need?

2.) What is the rear hub spacing and axle of the highline?

3.) How long is the rear travel of the highline?

4.) I will use this frame for downhill competitions. I need at least 35-40% sag for this frame, if I do this how much true travel do I have left?

5.) Is it adjustable in any way?

6.) Frame weight?

7.) Headtube diameter? 1.5 or standard?

hope someone out there can help. Thanks~! :)

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
samohung said:
Greetings to all!

I am planning to buy a highline and I need some questions answered by people who already have info and if possible straight from DT himself :

1.) I am 5' 8", what size of highline frame do i need?

2.) What is the rear hub spacing and axle of the highline?

3.) How long is the rear travel of the highline?

4.) I will use this frame for downhill competitions. I need at least 35-40% sag for this frame, if I do this how much true travel do I have left?

5.) Is it adjustable in any way?

6.) Frame weight?

7.) Headtube diameter? 1.5 or standard?

hope someone out there can help. Thanks~! :)
Dude,

This is the Turner Forum.......do you prefer charts or graphs?

Only items that I can help with is 150mm rear end (12 mm I think) and 1.5 headtube. I think most people would direct you to the Medium at 5'8", but I'll let the experts opine here.

Ooh btw, it has 8" of travel . I think I heard 10.5 lbs. being thrown about for frame with the shock. Pretty decent weight, imo, for a bike with that much travel. The Homers will give you that stuff in any measurement you seek! :p

Chers,
EBX

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Look through this: Highline Thread.

EB has it covered pretty well. I think Turner settled on 8", not adjustable. 35% sag would leave you with 5.2" of positive travel, and 2.8" of negative travel. The model DT weighed was 9.9 pounds with shock. You would probably be on a medium.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
might i add that a highline for srtickly d/h racing seems odd. wouldnt a dhr be a better chioce? just askin, not slammin. peace be with you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ebxtreme said:
Dude,

This is the Turner Forum.......do you prefer charts or graphs?

Only items that I can help with is 150mm rear end (12 mm I think) and 1.5 headtube. I think most people would direct you to the Medium at 5'8", but I'll let the experts opine here.

Ooh btw, it has 8" of travel . I think I heard 10.5 lbs. being thrown about for frame with the shock. Pretty decent weight, imo, for a bike with that much travel. The Homers will give you that stuff in any measurement you seek! :p

Chers,
EBX
EBX, thanks a lot for your infos....btw I am just new here in the forums stuffs, with all respect....who are the HOMERS? thanks again - samohung

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tscheezy said:
Look through this: Highline Thread.

EB has it covered pretty well. I think Turner settled on 8", not adjustable. 35% sag would leave you with 5.2" of positive travel, and 2.8" of negative travel. The model DT weighed was 9.9 pounds with shock. You would probably be on a medium.

tscheezy : thanks for all the infos. btw, would you know if the highline is a closed 12mm axle thru type or an open type? Thanks again...- samohung :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cactuscorn said:
might i add that a highline for srtickly d/h racing seems odd. wouldnt a dhr be a better chioce? just askin, not slammin. peace be with you.

cactuscorn : i knew someone would ask me that soon. Here is the reason why. I have been racing dh with my orange 222 for quite sometime now and I am really satisfied with it's 8 inch travel. But I really can't stand the noise this frame creates and the very inconvenient ways of maintaining its IBS(brake therapy). So I thought I could use the highline with the same rear travel plus the highline is lighter than the 222. Also, the orange 222 is just a simple, basic single pivot frame. I thought I could use an almost similar frame with a little touch of the new TNT design.

peace to you too! - samohung :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
samohung said:
cactuscorn : i knew someone would ask me that soon. Here is the reason why. I have been racing dh with my orange 222 for quite sometime now and I am really satisfied with it's 8 inch travel. But I really can't stand the noise this frame creates and the very inconvenient ways of maintaining its IBS(brake therapy). So I thought I could use the highline with the same rear travel plus the highline is lighter than the 222. Also, the orange 222 is just a simple, basic single pivot frame. I thought I could use an almost similar frame with a little touch of the new TNT design.

Your 222 makes a lot of noise because of the huge tubing, not because it's a dh race bike or a single pivot.
To each his own, of course, but I still think the DHR will better serve your purpose. I think DT will agree.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
The only erroneous statement on here so far was the 1.5 inch headtube diameter. It will actually come with the 1 1/8th headtube. I was told by Turner that they may eventually move away from the 1.5 headtube on the DHR also.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
El Chingon said:
The only erroneous statement on here so far was the 1.5 inch headtube diameter. It will actually come with the 1 1/8th headtube. I was told by Turner that they may eventually move away from the 1.5 headtube on the DHR also.
You serious?

That's absurd to me. He was one of the first to adopt it for good reasons. There's a nice array of 1.5 reducer headsets as well as a few 1.5 steerer manitou forks that would be appropriate for either bike and the stuctural advantages are pretty obvious.

Wonder what the thinking is on that. :confused:

·
on a routine expedition
1,582 Posts
El Chingon said:
Interesting. Any other changes from the bikes they had at the Dirt Demo?

Team Maxxis was running the 1 1/8 HT on the DHRs at Sea Otter.

·
12,942 Posts
we have met the enemy and they is us! we, the turner owners are indeed the turner homers! im a homer, hes a homer, shes a homer, wouldnt ya like to be a homer too? now go get yer highline (or dhr) and be one of us. not knowin any better, id still say the dhr might be the better tool for the job but i hear what yer smellin, sam. take a look at the geo too. the dhr is longer and lower w/ a higher b/bkt and slightly more squish. i reccomend talkin to turner about the choice as they may have better info than even i do. hehe.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
SkullCrack said:
Team Maxxis was running the 1 1/8 HT on the DHRs at Sea Otter.
Team bikes (honda turner, maxxis, mongoose) have always had 1 1/8" headtubes. Thinner walled tubing too. The goal is lighter weight with those. My goal with my longer than one season dh purpose is durability. I view the thicker tubing and bigger headtube as an asset.

Cactus: DHRs have lower BB heights. 14.5 (DHR) 15(highline). Better for racing (better for everything in my opinion).

·
12,942 Posts
kid, i was lookin at my '05 catolog showin 14.25/15" for the highline and 14.5" for the dhr so it may indeed have changed since then. my bad if so. if im right ya owe me a beer. but id have to agree, a lower b/bkt would improve handeling. maybe i should shut up, get off my ass and go skiing instead of typin all day.... again.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I'll buy you a beer regardless.

A while back, DT was taking input on HL design on ridemonkey and the self proclaimed "freeriders" seemed in consensus that a high (15) bb was good for rolling slow over steep things and climbing. I was the only one making a stink about it if I remember correctly. I'll actually be upset if the final production is lower. I got sick of waiting and bought an intense.....partially because of the lower BB. Says 15 on the website now but who knows the truth about this phantom production machine. :rolleyes: ;)

Either way, I agree our friend should get a DHR. It actually exists.

·
12,942 Posts
ill take that beer and raise ya another!

the higher b/bkt makes sense for the roll ins. hadnt considered that before.

now sut up so i can get outta here. the slopes call my name but im such a post-whore i cant bear to leave a thread unfinished. gawd im lame!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
the others are correct - if you are pretty much strictly going to race this bike - get the DHR - it's one of the finest downhill race bikes on the market - paired with a Fox 40 and some good parts you will have a worldcup level ride....

remember, the DHR is a single pivot (with swinglink) - so if that's what you are used to from the 222, it will be familiar to you...

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
macrider said:
remember, the DHR is a single pivot (with swinglink) - so if that's what you are used to from the 222, it will be familiar to you...
Except for the pedal kickback on the big whacks. And the falling rate fixable only by a progressively tuned shock. And the shock sideloading. And the lengthening wheelbase when you press it into turns. Other than those things a DHR is the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
El Chingon said:

El Chingon : i think i will like it better with a 1 1/8 tube. tnx dude for the info. - samohung :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cactuscorn said:
we have met the enemy and they is us! we, the turner owners are indeed the turner homers! im a homer, hes a homer, shes a homer, wouldnt ya like to be a homer too? now go get yer highline (or dhr) and be one of us. not knowin any better, id still say the dhr might be the better tool for the job but i hear what yer smellin, sam. take a look at the geo too. the dhr is longer and lower w/ a higher b/bkt and slightly more squish. i reccomend talkin to turner about the choice as they may have better info than even i do. hehe.

well i guess i am on my way on being a homer..alright...thanks again... :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts