Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 kids, 10 and 11, who are good mt. bikers but not going huge on jumps. Considering a trip to Highland. Hoping to mix in some blue square trails in addition to green circles. When we ride Burke, they have a blast on Roly Grail. They also love Jester, except a typical experience is that expert riders come flying down behind us at high speed, which is nerve racking. At Highland, would it be likely that we'd experience the same thing on Cat's Paw? Seems like Highland has more options for advanced riders. Appreciate any feedback. We would be going there mid-week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Highland has a great skills area that is a lot of fun, but the lift-served riding is really geared toward advanced riders. I think Cat's Paw will be a lot like your experience at Jester. And the green trail (I forget the name) is less fun than Roly Grail. The lift lines are as frustrating as Burke's as well.

Not sure of their operating status this season, but Sunapee is a great little off-the-radar place for beginner-intermediate riders that has a nice variety of blue trails and never seems crowded. And since they don't have any black trails (well, one, but it's like 10 yards long) there are no advanced riders merging into trails or speeding up on you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback RideVT. We will stick with Burke for lift served. We're loving East Haven for our fix of long DH runs. The kids are at a point where they can manage the climb for 3 laps. Black Bear and Stormin Norman are better than Roly Grail in my opinion and never expert riders breathing down our neck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure of their operating status this season, but Sunapee is a great little off-the-radar place for beginner-intermediate riders that has a nice variety of blue trails and never seems crowded. And since they don't have any black trails (well, one, but it's like 10 yards long) there are no advanced riders merging into trails or speeding up on you.
Sunapee is not opening for the Summer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Loon is opening soon, haven't been there but I think they have your kids in mind with their construction.

Burke really really needs an expert jump line to keep the local kids from being so bored that they are now doubling and tripling everything on Jesper and Knight Slayer.

The local crew is so full on they are starting to scare normal riders and also are getting hurt pretty badly because they don't have a safe big jump line to play on like at Thunder, Highland or Killington.

Cat's Paw at Highland doesn't allow the high speeds Jester does at all, it's too steep and narrow. Burke is so flat it leads to crazy high speed riding. If it was steeper it would actually slow down the pro kid crew a lot.

Highland is tricky for beginners because the terrain is steep & pretty rough, but other riders seem to be less of an issue. I saw a decent amount of beginner - intermediate riders at Highland on Sunday, they seemed like they were having a good time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts