Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be vacationing in New Hampshire this June and heard about Highland park. I've never been to a bike park before and was hoping my bike would work there. I currently ride and like fast & flowy terrain on my Evil Following with 140 travel on the front.

Would this bike be sufficient there? Is it advisable to get a full face helmet (maybe my motocross helmet?) and knee pads?

Thanks for helping a bike park newb out!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Depends on your ability and the trails you would like to ride. I see people out there with their 6 years olds on hardtails but they're sticking to Freedom trail mostly. I would say your Evil will handle 90% of the terrain at Highland (all of it if you're a ripper) but may have to just take some of the trails slower than others. It has become a really progressive place so you can push it as much as you like.

G

·
If you're in NH and new to park, Mount Sunapee is a great place to start and your bike would be more than fine there. It's small but has nice flowy trails that are all beginner-intermediate. It's pretty inexpensive, and you can buy 2- or 4-hour passes I think. You don't really need a ff helmet there.

At Highland, yes to the FF and kneepads.

As long as the bike has hydraulic disc brakes and reasonably-slack geometry (like, it's not a XC bike) I think it's fine. I ride a similar trail bike at parks and prefer it to a DH bike because it's more nimble and fun. However, I stay on blue trails mostly and I'm not speedy so 200mm of suspension would wasted on me anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE=WATERBOOY;14087877]Depends on your ability and the trails you would like to ride. I see people out there with their 6 years olds on hardtails but they're sticking to Freedom trail mostly. I would say your Evil will handle 90% of the terrain at Highland (all of it if you're a ripper) but may have to just take some of the trails slower than others. It has become a really progressive place so you can push it as much as you like.[/QUOTE]

Great info, thank you!!

If you're in NH and new to park, Mount Sunapee is a great place to start and your bike would be more than fine there. It's small but has nice flowy trails that are all beginner-intermediate. It's pretty inexpensive, and you can buy 2- or 4-hour passes I think. You don't really need a ff helmet there.

At Highland, yes to the FF and kneepads.

As long as the bike has hydraulic disc brakes and reasonably-slack geometry (like, it's not a XC bike) I think it's fine. I ride a similar trail bike at parks and prefer it to a DH bike because it's more nimble and fun. However, I stay on blue trails mostly and I'm not speedy so 200mm of suspension would wasted on me anyway.
Awesome, definitely think My Sunapee sounds like a great spot to check out too. Yea, definitely has some slacked out geo and disc breaks. Thank man!

·
Registered
180 Posts
You really only need a full face and knee pads if you crash, but then they're really nice to have.

I've ridding Highland on a variety of bikes but crashing is similar on all of them.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I rode my Ibis Mojo HD3 there and it was perfect. I researched The Following before and you will be fine. I have never seen a Evil Bike on my local trails (North of Boston). Knee pads and elbow pads will be ideal. I also wear a Camelback for some back protection. I don't use a full face but i'm not that hardcore.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rode my Ibis Mojo HD3 there and it was perfect. I researched The Following before and you will be fine. I have never seen a Evil Bike on my local trails (North of Boston). Knee pads and elbow pads will be ideal. I also wear a Camelback for some back protection. I don't use a full face but i'm not that hardcore.
Sweet, thanks man! I'm not hardcore by any means. Will be using my Camelback too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've ridden my V1 Following at Highland many times and the bike rips and handles pretty much everything. I wouldn't go bombing down the race trail, but it will be fine for just about anything there.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What happens at Highland if it's damp?

Ive got a chance to hit it on Tuesday for the first time, but it's 55% rain....
It's been my experience there (season pass holder for the last 4 years) that they only stop the lifts if it's thunder/lightning or a downpour.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Super excited to ride the trails for the first time tomorrow. I am thinking about demoing one of the Santa Cruz enduros since my Pivot is short on travel. Do they setup and maintain the bikes well?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Super excited to ride the trails for the first time tomorrow. I am thinking about demoing one of the Santa Cruz enduros since my Pivot is short on travel. Do they setup and maintain the bikes well?
Yup. Their bike shop is top notch. Kick some ass!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow. Big shout out to pretty much everything and everyone at the park. It was an amazing day and all of the staff were awesome. I rented a nomad and the bike was perfectly setup. The vibe was so good. Groms flying through the sky, locals shredding, and me somewhere in the mix. Thank you Highland Park.

·
Registered
142 Posts
First, you are going to love it. There is no pressure to kill yourself and plenty of regular people just having fun. The amazing part is getting to see the smaller percentage of shredders! Overall it was just a fun day and I didn't feel like a loser if I was just cruising.

I'm old to biking but new to parks. Currently in mediocre to good shape. My first day was in NJ at a similar park. I knew I wouldn't be climbing but still wasn't totally prepared for the different groups of muscles that got worked going downhill all the time. I was also not very good at one finger braking so my hands were feelin it. I also found my legs hurting in different ways from XC riding.

I demoed a Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5. I had the bike for two hours and opted for the damage waiver. Ended up being about $70 I think. Nomad had tons of travel and seemed to be the optimal bike for the park. I still had a great time on my 130/115 Pivot but it felt under gunned and unforgiving. The bike I rented work well and the suspension felt right for me. I am planning on heading back at the end of september and I'm not planning on bring my bike. I didn't reserver a bike last time, but this time I definitely will so I don't get stuck without a bike.

I did not rent pads. I have 7 Sam Hill soft elbows and Project knee pads. Some guys had full hard shell pads. I wasn't doing anything fast or jumping crazy high so I didn't feel I needed them. I also didn't wear a full face but that's something I probably should consider when I go back and start pushing the limits. Full fingered gloves is something else I'm gonna invest in.

I also am thinking about getting a lesson. I ride pretty well, but this is kind of new territory with different kinds of forces and riding styles. Can't hurt, plus you will have someone who can help you hit some jumps without completely guessing.

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.