Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I beilieve the 2 highest traction tires are Maxxis minion FBF/FBR and the snowshoe2xl
Are their other tires with tons of traction’s?
i am looking at 4.5-5.05 inch wide tires
thanks
BONUS: What is the true width of the maxxis minion once mounted to a 100mm rim?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Minions on 100mm are 4.71”.

The Bud has better grip than the Minions, but the terrain matters here.

I would put the Bud above the J5. I run them and Minions. I do not run a Lou, so I can’t comnent on it.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
studded J5's, Wrathchilds or Gnarwhals

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about trail specific traction?
And by J5s do you mean Jumbo Jim 5 inch? (sorry, I dont understand all abbreviations.)
So I am seeing 2xl best snow traction, and for trail riding what best traction tire?
Thank you

·
fat guy on a little bike
956 Posts
Another vote for bud/bud or bud/lou. Some people may consider them ugly though... :p

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Might be somewhat pressure dependent, here. If you start to lower pressure, the 2xl is going to gain ground on others, just like in snow. But ride dynamics and rolling speed go out the window.

I'm having a hard time imagining a non snow situation where I'd be willing to push the highest traction, big tyres(maybe an unclimbable hill?), but I'm not the op.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Might be somewhat pressure dependent, here. If you start to lower pressure, the 2xl is going to gain ground on others, just like in snow. But ride dynamics and rolling speed go out the window.

I'm having a hard time imagining a non snow situation where I'd be willing to push the highest traction, big tyres(maybe an unclimbable hill?), but I'm not the op.
Well the OP sounds like a beginner. Around Montreal, Quebec no experienced snow rider would consider any Maxxis as top and the XXL are never seen because
A- most frames will not take them
B- you need to be over 220 pounds to benefit
At 135 pounds there is no way i would enjoy the 5.05 tires on 100 mm rims.
My 90 mm rims and Bud/Lou studded just allow me the more hours on winter with flotation and grip to climb all i want/can.
I am sure no retailer has them in stock.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well the OP sounds like a beginner. Around Montreal, Quebec no experienced snow rider would consider any Maxxis as top and the XXL are never seen because
My 90 mm rims and Bud/Lou studded just allow me the more hours on winter with flotation and grip to climb all i want/can.
I'm not too far from you in Maine, weigh about the same, and for soft snow, I enjoy Vee Snowshoe 2XL tires very much. They are a game changer. I can easily ride on stuff that makes riders who are heavier and/or on narrower tires have to walk.

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
I think your metric to english calculations lost something in translation. Again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.