Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built my first converted single speed, and got lucky with 32x17 gearing not needing a tensioner. I've got a spare wheelset I'd like to throw some slicks on with a 13T cog on for paved use, which will obviously require a tensioner. I can't find any that mention the capacity they have, are there some out there that can take up the slack with 4 less teeth?

Also, if the same total number of teeth are kept between the front and rear cogs, will the chainline always be the same length? For example going from 32x17 to 36x13? I wish it wasn't such a pain to swap chainrings, and running a 32t middle ring and 36t outer ring just seems ghetto on a SS.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
711 Posts
^ forgot to mention that a derailleur or similar style tensioner requires feeding the chain through it, I don't want to have to break it every time I swap wheel sets.
Uhm, a derailleur (style tensioner) takes up the chain length differences, so why would you have to break your chain when you change wheelsets?

In answer to your second question: google for dingle or dinglespeed.

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,009 Posts
Uhm, a derailleur (style tensioner) takes up the chain length differences, so why would you have to break your chain when you change wheelsets?
I expect because he has the "magic ratio" now and doesn't need a tensioner, and digs the clean line, but he'd need to install one to use the 13t rear. Personally, if I was going to run different set ups, I'd just install a derailleur and be done with it, or run a dinglespeed set up.

Another option would be to remove the inner derailleur cage, using a nut to hold the pulleys in place. Has the disadvantage of not being that strong.

Tensioners like the Singleator just don't have enough capacity to make up for a 4t difference. You could run a BB mounted tensioner (and leave it in place, because one day the chain will wear and your magic ratio won't be so magic - been there!) and when you need to pick up the extra slack, throw on a dropout mounted tensioner as well.

Ashphaltdude is on the money though, just mount the derailleur full time or run a dinglespeed set up.

Or... build another bike for pavement use. You know you want to... :)

Grumps

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I expect because he has the "magic ratio" now and doesn't need a tensioner, and digs the clean line, but he'd need to install one to use the 13t rear. Personally, if I was going to run different set ups, I'd just install a derailleur and be done with it, or run a dinglespeed set up.

Another option would be to remove the inner derailleur cage, using a nut to hold the pulleys in place. Has the disadvantage of not being that strong.

Tensioners like the Singleator just don't have enough capacity to make up for a 4t difference. You could run a BB mounted tensioner (and leave it in place, because one day the chain will wear and your magic ratio won't be so magic - been there!) and when you need to pick up the extra slack, throw on a dropout mounted tensioner as well.

Ashphaltdude is on the money though, just mount the derailleur full time or run a dinglespeed set up.

Or... build another bike for pavement use. You know you want to... :)

Grumps
You got it. I'd rather not have a tensioner on there with the 32/17 trail gearing. It looks like 36/13 should take the same length chain, if I could suck it up and deal with the goofiness of double front chainrings, or there was some quick change conversion. I even thought about a spare crank arm with the chainring mounted, but that gets expensive running decent pedals, not to mention wear and tear from pulling the crank often.

I may just order one of these and try to stack both plates on the outside of the rollers instead of sandwiching them, so I can take it on and off without breaking the chain. Hopefully it will be strong enough on the pavement.

Bdw Chain Tensioner for Changing Multiple Speed to Single Speed New Improved | eBay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.