Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my Highball this evening. I can't wait to get it out on the trails. I purchased from a great bike shop out in Lancaster County called Shirks. A great group of people to work with. They let me upgrade the fork, wheelset, and crankset for a terrific deal. I went with the Rxc29 kit. I originally wanted to just buy the frame, but Santa Cruz isn't selling the frame only at this point due to the high demand for complete builds. I upgraded the fork to Fox Float RLC 120mm, wheelset to Hadley hubs with Stans Arch rims, and crank to a single ring Race Face Turbine. Might convert to a single speed once when the SS dropouts start shipping.

Lastly, the white is amazing in person. I thought it was going to be a flat white like other white santa cruz's I've seen, however the highball has a pearlescent sheen to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've got one in the works... can't wait. First new bike in 7+years. Currently riding a '99 Stumpy FSR.

The white looks good, i went with blue without hardly a thought to white, but a nice, deep pearl white is a beautiful thing! Looks great, let us know how it rides.

What have you been riding before this?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got one in the works... can't wait. First new bike in 7+years. Currently riding a '99 Stumpy FSR.

The white looks good, i went with blue without hardly a thought to white, but a nice, deep pearl white is a beautiful thing! Looks great, let us know how it rides.

What have you been riding before this?
I've been riding full suspension bikes up until this one....Blur XC and a Yeti SB66.

I'll let you know how it rides when I finally get it out on the trail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered a blue highball on Monday and was told it should arrive to the bike shop late March - early April. Heard from the bike shop today that Santa Cruz put the skids on shipping the blue because Santa Cruz wasn't satisfied with the quality of the paint job.
Highball in blue not expected to ship until June. So I went with the white. After seeing the pics of your bike in the white with the Fox Float, it was a nice consolation. I too have upgraded the fork to a 120mm travel Fox Float, I have the fork, just waiting for the bike. Still have to have a new wheel built to accommodate the 15QR skewer.
Again nicely done.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Wow that looks fantastic and makes me sooooo excited about receiving mine sometime in the hopefully not too distant future! I've had my white frame on order since they released the details last month, it'll be setup very similar to yours so I'm looking forward to hearing about how it rides... :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
What gives?! Days after I place my Highball order, all of a sudden blue isn't acceptable, then a couple days after that, Santa Cruz puts the Highball in the pool of bikes available for custom paint. At 175 extra clams, I think I'll be happy with the white. As was stated earlier, the white bike with the white fox float just looks right and proper.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
JustJ,

Your in the Uk aren't you? You have a nice Nickel, I've got a Butcher too, I was so glad when SC made ths bike I'm going to order a Blue complete one, did you order from Stif? What are you going for? I built my Butcher but think I'm gonna go with a complete build a Reba fork.
Hi Steve

I went with a white frame only from Stif, but I called them last week to swap it for a Tallboy LTc instead asI figured I'll ride it a lot more than I would the hardtail. However I'm not sure how long I'm going to be waiting now, but to be honest, that suits me alright seeing as I get to ride my Nickel for the majority of 2012! :)

·
graps the nettle
518 Posts
fresh out of the oven...

just slapped together a new one speed, playing around with the CCCP options. trans brown with white decals, gloss clearcoat. the pigments in the trans brown powdercoat tend to leach into the decals while the clearcoat is being baked on, and end up turning the white decals a sort of cream/tan/flesh depending on what the light is doing:

for the record, trans brown is the spittin' image of the beloved and legendary root beer color. been a while since i had a regular one speed, i have a feeling today is going to be painful...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow, that color is great!

Santa Cruz guys: The bike builder color-picker app on your website is cool, but you need photos (like the one you just posted) of the actual colors! I wondered about the brown but was unsure about it because looking at the bike graphic on the bike-builder really doesn't give you a good idea of what the colors will REALLY look like. In fact, i'm curious about several of the colors. Large closeup shots of actual painted frame tubes, outside in good sunlight, would be hugely helpful to people choosing a color.

That brown is awesome and way different than i'd imagined based on the color-picker. I'm curious also about the purple, transparent black, yellow, transparent white... actually, with all the transparents and metallics, etc. It would be great to see photos of all the colors.

That photo you already have of all the tubes painted different colors would be pretty good if it was shot outside under good sunlight and a hi-res version was available for download.

Anyway, not a complaint, just (hopefully) helpful feedback! It's great to have the options. Keep up the good work!

1 - 20 of 383 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.