Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a couple of 6 hour events, a 3 hour race, and the Pisgah 111k this spring. I went to the LBS to get some new rubber for my 29er hardtail.

I live in Pisgah, so that's where I ride most of the time. I wanted tires I can mount and leave on for all rides. (I have fast XC race tires too).

From talking with the dude at the shop, and my own decision making skills, I settled on a Specialized 2.2 Captain for the front (a little bite but rolls well) and a Fast Trak 2.2 for the rear (low rolling, high volume).

Typically, I go for aggressive front and fast rear. Last year I ran the Ardent up front with an old Bontrager XDX out back. I like trying new things though...

I'm second guessing my decision. Will the tires have enough volume (especially the fast trak). Should I have gone with the Renegade 2.3? These will be mounted up to Industry Nine Torch rims (wide).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'm loving my Maxxis ikon 2.35. I run it on the front with a 2.2 out back, but if I did endurance races I'd run them on the back too. Either that or a geax aka 2.2. Both are high volume (ikon is bigger tho) and roll great. Durability is not an issue in my experience, although I don't ride trails that are particularly tough on tires

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't know the Ikon since it is so horribly expensive over here across the big pond. Don't know about your tread requirements either but over here most top riders run Contis Race King 2.2. See the pics from Cape Epic. Personally, I do not know any other tire with such a volume in this weight class. And Black Chilly compound rules!

For further research you may want to check

Reifenbreiten-Datenbank

for tire measurements. It's in German but should be pretty self-explanatory for foreign language speakers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've been very happy with the ikon 2.35 up front and the aka 2.2 in the back, they've worked well in a wide range of conditions and after several hundred miles the tires aren't beaten up at all. That's my go-fast rubber for endurance racing and for play I switch to Ardents front and back, those two setups cover all my riding well enough that I'll probably stick with them until they're no longer available.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The traction is fine except in the mud. I typically don't ride my MTB if the trails are muddy though so it's an awesome tire for me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The XKing 2.4 is really impressive. It rolls well and the grip is solid--it gives a little warning when it gives, and it seems to find bite again quickly. It mounted tubeless easily and the protection sidewall seems like it provides solid protection (haven't had any issues yet) despite a few hundred miles of rocky riding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quax thanks for the link. I'm looking at a 2.4 X king/ Race king 2.2 (racesport) combo. For similar riding to the OP I've currently got 2.2 Ikons front and rear which are good tyres but I'd like some extra volume.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts