Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small moto lite 2 on order from speedgoat, waiting for the silver. I have a standard derailleur (07 xtr). I have read that rapid rise is less likely to bang on the horst link. Is this true? and is anyone riding a ML with a standard derailleur having trouble with this issue.
Also anyone 5'7"riding a medium ML(i'm 5'7" 180 lbs with a 30.5inseam)? I have test rode a small and it fit although the seat post was about 8.5 inches high. Do like the idea of the longer shock and bottle cage mount on the medium.
thanks.

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
funny you should ask... i just destroyed my rapid-rise (can't ever remember which is high or low normal) and replaced with a regular... on my small frosty baby blue ML (ugly color:prft: , but the frame was on sale)...

haven't noticed any issues with either hitting the frame...

also, i think i like sram, too... but that'll be next...

i'm 5' 8" 30 inch inseam... medium was too long on the TT...

btw - i suspect you'll have to keep a lot of air in that 1.5" shock on the small...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Suicider said:
The srams are designed in such a way that they actually can't hit the horst link. That said, the new year's XTs at least finally have a rubber bumper already installed on them.
The bumper has been on the 760 RD since 2004.. at least my 04 XT rapid rise has it... I am about to replace it with the 07 XT (it comes with the bumper too)... the new model looks very cool :D

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
crisillo said:
The bumper has been on the 760 RD since 2004.. at least my 04 XT rapid rise has it... I am about to replace it with the 07 XT (it comes with the bumper too)... the new model looks very cool :D
crisillo, when will you learn and come to the Sram side.................. Heavens to Morgatroid........:D :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Whafe said:
crisillo, when will you learn and come to the Sram side.................. Heavens to Morgatroid........:D :D :D :D
I could have done it.... I recently changed my shifters, I got XT because i had already an XT RD..... and now I got the new RD because I got some store credit for an error the shop did... I cold have gotten x9.... however the XT stuff is very cheap here.. I would have been almost twice as expensive to get x9.... it as about 80 EUR for both shifters and RD... while the x9 would have been 140 EUR at the cheapest place.... but you know me ;) , I could get RD envy tomorrow and throw the whole thing out the window....

One thing though... I may be lucky... but I usually only need to adjust my derailleurs when I change cables...otherwise.. I don't need to mess with them and they change flawlessly...... well I do ride the SS when it is really muddy...so that might help :D

·
Paper or plastic?
10,693 Posts
amcsix said:
I have a small moto lite 2 on order from speedgoat, waiting for the silver. I have a standard derailleur (07 xtr). I have read that rapid rise is less likely to bang on the horst link. Is this true? and is anyone riding a ML with a standard derailleur having trouble with this issue.
Also anyone 5'7"riding a medium ML(i'm 5'7" 180 lbs with a 30.5inseam)? I have test rode a small and it fit although the seat post was about 8.5 inches high. Do like the idea of the longer shock and bottle cage mount on the medium.
thanks.
Got a SRAM X.0, so I can't help you on the rear der. Otherwise at 5'7", 29" and 165, I'm fine with my Small ML and a straight seatpost and 100mm stem. I pump about 190-195 in the RP3, but the ride is a bit on the firm side. Another guy on the board rides a Motolite at 5'8" and over 200# and he likes it.

With your inseam, you could be okay on a medium, but you have to figure out whether the TT length fits you or not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm just about 5' 8" and ride a small Motolite with a 90mm stem and inline post, but I like my bikes fairly short. I have a 30.9" inseam. The suspension is still good with the shorter shock. The lack of a bottle mount is pain sometimes, but there are workarounds.

Edit:

Try both sizes if you can or measure your existing bike carefully. I've ridden a medium very briefly and that seemed OK too, but I know that on a 6 hour ride I'm not going to get any aches or pains on my own bike. That counts for a lot more to me than whether the shock ramps up slightly quicker. I also find the handling nicer as it happens. Do what works for you.

Also another vote for SRAM. The mechs don't slap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm 5' 8.5", 31" inseam. Bought a small at first, straight seat post, 90mm stem. Sold it and switched to a med instead with also straight post but a 70mm stem. I was kind of worried by the longish TT and seat tube at first. But once got on the bike, it just fits great.
Though both size have wheel travel of 5", there's a big difference in feeling. The med feels much plusher than the small, probably because of the longer shock(7.875x2). I'm glad that I made the switch.

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam and am very comfortable with a medium. Also I have a 06 XTR rear derailleur with a long cage and it works fine. Having said that I did have a chance to test drive an X0 rd on another bike before I decided on my bike and if I could have afforded it at the time I would have preferred that. However, everyone is raving about the new 07 XTR rear derailleur leveling the playing field.

·
Adventure Mapper
554 Posts
I got a small motolite 3 weeks ago, been on about 6 rides and the xt low normal (standard) rear der slaps the horst link like crazy whenever I leave the earth or hit a larger bump. I made a makeshift bumper out of a rolled up piece of cut tube ziptied to the deraileur and it cuts down on the slap, but still it sucks to have to check the bumper every ride and make sure its still positioned correctly. I am saving $ to switch to SRAM. There is much less play in their der's, even compared to the new shimano stuff for 07.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.