Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted this morning on the Joisey Boyz website, but I thought I'd post it here too, since it was 3 years ago wednesday that some MTBR regulars gathered at High Rocks for a very simillar ride dubbed 'Ye Olde MTBR Ice Ride' Most of the original participants are probably still lurking 'round these parts, even if they don't post much anymore. Anyhoo, it was icy as ever yesterday, and I couldn't help but think of that ride. The only thing missing was a motley band of passionites (and Chip's bottle of Tequila).

Went for a ride yesterday and was once again reminded of just how cool (literally and figuratively) winter riding can be. The trail was ~70% hard ice, with some nice sections of packed snow. Needless to say, I was happy with my decision to mount up the studded tires (IRC Blizzard on the front, homemade maxxis/sheet metal screws rear). My friend Rocco and I cruised along amazingly well on the ice, clearing some of the technical sections with ease.

There were a few hikers on the trail who were shocked to see us, which is funny to me because it seemed a lot more difficult to walk on the ice than it was to ride on it.

At one point, we went out of our way to find a SWEET descent that nobody else had been on since the snow fell last week. Fresh tracks! It was awesome. A long, fast downhill that curved in the middle before dropping off at a steeper angle, banking hard to the right, into a chute that's usually all eroded and gnarly but was supah-smoove thanks to the snow. Then, after the chute it's almost a 90 degree left, down another drop, then down a set of railroad tie stairs, past a cabin, then down some more on an access road to the creek.

I was all smiles after that. Until I realized that Rocco's front tire had gone flat.

All good things must come to an end. :mad:

Apparently, this is his first season with homemade studded tires and he's learning the hard way that duct tape on its own is not sufficient to keep the screw heads from cutting into the tube. Live and learn, eh? We tried to patch his tube, but it didn't work. At this point, we were almost as far away from where we parked as possible. Rather than hike-a-bike all the way back, he waited there with his dog while I rode the trail back.

Along the way, I learned a valuable lesson: While some people might enjoy riding these trails on horseback through slush and muck, the resultant frozen pothole-hoofprints that form when the temp drops make pedaling a bike a bone-jarring experience! On the upside, frozen piles of horseshit make surprisingly good launching points.

:rolleyes:

Happy (Icy) Trails, all!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts