Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went by my lbs today to have a new drivetrain installed and found the prices to be very high. What is a reasonable price for installing shifters, rear deraileur, and a new cassette. I just think 72 dollars is a little high. Any Ideas.:mad:

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
Just Installation?

Probably around $20-$25

For the kind of money you should have gotten a complete bike overhaul thrown in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that is what i thought but I was billed 20 a piece for shifters 20 for the deraileur and 12 for the cassette I purchased from them. They had a new employee I did'nt know but they usually have pretty good prices and give me a good deal on service.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
They don't have prices posted? Or give you a quote in advance?

If a shop doesn't have the prices posted, always get the quote in advance, otherwise you don't have much in the way of recourse. As a former service manager, we made sure every customer new exactly how much $$$ they would need to bring. I also had my employees call anything an unexpected cost came up, because sometimes even 5 bucks can be a deal breaker or make the shop look dishonest.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,971 Posts
20-25 is probably a bit lower than I would expect to pay for that particular service request. That said, 72 is way too high. The shop where I used to work had prices listed for various parts installations, but, for example, shifter install, der. install, and cassette install all included the very same "derailleur adjustment" labor item, so when installing all of those parts, we'd only charge the customer for ONE 'derailleur adjustment', plus the basic install charge for each part, which usually amounted to a few bucks each. I'd have probably estimated 30-45 for your service request based on my memory of what the shop charged. Sounds like you got charged for that 'derailleur adjustment' a few times over. I'd call the shop and ask what's up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What tools would I need to do the install myself besides a few allen wrenches. I might just buy the tools so I can do it myself now and in the future. They have not actually done the work yet so I could get my money back. Thanks.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,434 Posts
All you need for the work you've had done is a set of Allen keys, something to cut / trim cables with, a chanwhip to hold the cassette, and a cassette tool to undo it and replace.

Tuning derailleurs / shifters isn't that hard and I imagine there's plenty of online info on how to do it (plenty of folks on here could help you out.)

·
JORBA: Six Mile Run
428 Posts
fiddy_ryder said:
you could have bought all the tools required and had $60 left for beer to drink while installing yourself.
Now thats my kind of a beer budget!:thumbsup:

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
If I buy parts at a LBS I typically expect them to be installed for free, especially if I'm paying their jacked up prices.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you bought the parts there, it should be free (i think). If you got the parts online and bragged about the great deal you got you can expect them to charge you way more.
I think its easier to learn how to do it yourself, if you go to park tool's website and go to repair help, it should have some good tips/directions.

For 70$ you could buy the tools needed and a repair book that tells you how, and have money left.

http://parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53&imageField2.x=21&imageField2.y=6

·
Registered
483 Posts
any parts I buy at my LBS get installed free, talk to the owner or whomever is in charge of the service dept. and ask them why $70 when you purchased these parts from them. I could see maybe 25-30 bucks but 70 is a complete ripoff.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,971 Posts
I've never seen parts purchased from a shop installed for free. I have seen ACCESSORIES installed for free at the timeyou purchase a whole bike, but if you want to swap components, there is an additional labor charge. IMO, it's ridiculous to expect free installation regardless of where you purchased the parts.

Some of you people expect too much. The folks at the bike shop have to make a living.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If I'm spending $1000+ bucks they're making money on the markup of the bike, plus the markup on the parts. My shop is really small and has always installed parts free of charge if purchased from them, it's thier policy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No it is 12 dollars to install the cassette and I told them to hold the order. I am buying the tools and doing it myself.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
Thank You

NateHawk said:
I've never seen parts purchased from a shop installed for free. I have seen ACCESSORIES installed for free at the timeyou purchase a whole bike, but if you want to swap components, there is an additional labor charge. IMO, it's ridiculous to expect free installation regardless of where you purchased the parts.

Some of you people expect too much. The folks at the bike shop have to make a living.
i make my living working on bikes,it puts food in my mouth and a roof over my head.i will usaully cut labor cost in half when you purchase parts from the shop,but never install things for free.that just devalues what i do in the customers eye.i provide a premium service,expert advice,and these tools dont pay for themselves.

·
XCdude
1,321 Posts
When people buy auto parts, do you get them installed

NateHawk said:

for "free" or motorcycle parts for the matter. I still don´t get the whole idea that people in the bicycle industry are ripping customers up all they do is charge retail which is what others industries do. Do you guys really think that it cost MCDS 4.95 to make you some burger combo. If you don´t want to pay for installation then buy the tools and learn to do it yourself, or you can ask up front for an "estimate" if is too rich for you walk away.

disclamer: I don´t or have ever worked on a bike shop:rolleyes: Ha maybe some day walmart will have discounted bike mechanics:nono:
Oh and yes 72.00 sounds high to me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts