Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a high pressure/high volume pump that is capable of seating tubeless tires and can be used for road (over 120psi).

I got the Lezyne classic dirty which is great for volume but goes up to only 70psi.

Any recommendations?

·
turtles make me hot
11,664 Posts
I just got a Topeak Joe Blow Mountain. The pump body is really big and it seems to move a lot of air per stroke. I had to put air in my Suburban's tires the other day and didn't feel like dragging the compressor up from the basement. It added 6 psi to my truck's tires quickly.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NYrr496 said:
I just got a Topeak Joe Blow Mountain. The pump body is really big an it seems to move a lot of air per stroke. I ha to put air in my Suburban's tires the other day and didn't feel like ragging the compressor up from the basement. It added 6 psi to my truck's tires quickly.
Unfortunately the Joe Blow goes up to 75psi. I'm looking for something higher than 120psi for road tires as well.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
I'm looking for a high pressure/high volume pump that is capable of seating tubeless tires and can be used for road (over 120psi).

I got the Lezyne classic dirty which is great for volume but goes up to only 70psi.

Any recommendations?
You get high volume or high pressure. Pick one. That's the way pumps work.

I use a Joeblow Sprint for mtb and road and am happy with it's perfomance.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
gmcttr said:
You get high volume or high pressure. Pick one. That's the way pumps work.
Not entirely true. The Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive is a high volume, 220 PSI floor pump.

Dictatorsaurus, since you already use Lezyne, you know they're tha bomb. Check out one of the non-dirt model Floor Drives, like the Alloy or CNC.

I've also heard good things about the Serfas FMP-500, but I haven't used one yet.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jtmartino said:
Not entirely true. The Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive is a high volume, 220 PSI floor pump.

Dictatorsaurus, since you already use Lezyne, you know they're tha bomb. Check out one of the non-dirt model Floor Drives, like the Alloy or CNC.

I've also heard good things about the Serfas FMP-500, but I haven't used one yet.
High volume compared to what? I have seen "high volume" track pumps that are simply taller. Fine for a skinny tire but hardly noticeable when working with mtb tires and especially when seating tubeless tires.

I have rarely had issues seating UST and TLR tires on compatible rims with a Topeak JB Sport. I did just get a JB Mountain, a truly high volume pump. Becomes real work at 30-40psi and delivers ~2psi per stroke in a 29 x 2.25 tire.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:

Any recommendations?
Since you already have a high volume pump, just get a high pressure one. They do not take up much room in the garage.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
shiggy said:
High volume compared to what? I have seen "high volume" track pumps that are simply taller. Fine for a skinny tire but hardly noticeable when working with mtb tires and especially when seating tubeless tires.
I rarely have problems seating tubeless tires with my Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive pump (although recently I've been using my compressor.) It feels higher volume than many other floor pumps I've used/owned, due to a combination of a taller air chamber as well as a larger diameter than many traditional road pumps.

So yes, it is a high volume, high pressure pump. Compared to most other traditional road pumps. I've even used it to top off my car tires (when I didn't want to fuss with the compressor) without any issues.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Message for the genius that commented about my post here... Scroll down and look at the link to the pump I posted... 260 psi....
Have a nice day.
I do like that staged pump set up they have.

I pick up the Joe Blow mtn on sale at REI for $30. What I find works for all my tubeless is to remove the core of my Mavic stems. The Joe blow mtn holds the base of the stem really well to 35 lbs. I always get my "pops" by then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a converted wheelset, and find it difficult to seed a tubeless tire on the rim with only a floor pump. Often I have to head to an LBS to have them use a compressor.

Is a compressor really the way to go, since you can get small ones for roughly $35-50 which is the same price as some of these floor pumps you all are posting?

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
I have a converted wheelset, and find it difficult to seed a tubeless tire on the rim with only a floor pump. Often I have to head to an LBS to have them use a compressor.

Is a compressor really the way to go, since you can get small ones for roughly $35-50 which is the same price as some of these floor pumps you all are posting?
A lot of cheap compressors (like the DC cigarette lighter ones) do not move enough air to properly seat a tubeless tire. You'd be hard pressed to find one that gets the job done and costs under $60 for the ghetto conversions, which are typically much harder to seat the bead. Harbor Freight is the only place I know of where you can get a decent compressor for $60.

Alternatively, you could use a tube to seat the tire on the rim. Then break the bead, remove the tube, and re-inflate with a floor pump. Much easier when one side is already mounted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.