Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member of this forum, however have been a guest reviewing other post for some time.

I am lucky enough to be in a team for this years 24hr Mont (Scott24hr) in Canberra in October. It should be HUGE!!!

I need lights!!! So i really would like peoples thoughts, are the latest range of high power LED lights suitable? Specifically I was considering a CateEye Double Shot and Dinotte 5W combination (or possibly substitute the Dinotte for a Triple Shot)

Or am I ultimately going to need a much stronger light such as a Jet Phantom or L&M Arc HID?

Bear in mind that besides this event I typically only ride my road bike at night in Sydney (hence the Dinotte which I think will be a sensational road bike light).

I really dont want to spend a fortune for lights that I will use very little. So would a Double Shot on the bars and a Dinotte 5W on the head work well enough.

The longevity of LED, light weight and run times are a big +++ for me.

I guess my budget would be in the order of $500-600AUD (dont want to spend that much on ONE light)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So KERKOVEJ do you run the Double Shot ONLY? Not other light at all? What sort of riding have you used it for?

I do think the CE Double Shot is a good option, however was a little concerned with peripheral light hence the Dinotte to 'fill in'. (plus can see the Dinotte on my road bike 'nice'.

Can anyone compare or direct me to a comparision with a conventional halogen? Are we talking 10, 20 watts equivalent?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
c_balls said:
So KERKOVEJ do you run the Double Shot ONLY? Not other light at all? What sort of riding have you used it for?

I do think the CE Double Shot is a good option, however was a little concerned with peripheral light hence the Dinotte to 'fill in'. (plus can see the Dinotte on my road bike 'nice'.

Can anyone compare or direct me to a comparision with a conventional halogen? Are we talking 10, 20 watts equivalent?
Yes, the Double Shot is the only light I use. I use the light for all 24 hour solo efforts. Most of my riding is tight twisty singletrack. The light works good for that...and the wide open stuff. If I had to compair it to a halogen light that I have used in the past I would have to say that it is similar to a 20 watt lamp.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
How about the far, far cheaper LEDs that run on AA batteries? I was thinking of using one on the bar with a conventional 10w halogen on my helmet.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Dont go cheap

GrantB said:
How about the far, far cheaper LEDs that run on AA batteries? I was thinking of using one on the bar with a conventional 10w halogen on my helmet.
If you are talking about riding with some friends on the trail at night for an hour or so thats probably ok. If you are talking about racing unless the trail is very tight and twisty and slow you wont have enough light. A 10 watt halogen simply does not put out enough light for speeds over say 15 mph. On a fast course I wouldnt want to run anything less than a 20 watt and 10w. If you are thinking Cateye then the minimun would be the Triple on the bars and the double on the helmet. I am talking fast course here where the average speeds might be 13-15 mph. My personal preference is two HID lights. Or an HID and a 10 W Halogen. If your looking for the most light for the money a couple of places sell HID's for $ 200-250. At 3am in the morning if you are running a 10w halogen you might find your self saying "that was a mistake going cheap."

·
Registered
1 Posts
two heads, two holders, high lumens led bike light

I am a new member of this forum, however have been a guest reviewing other post for some time.

I am lucky enough to be in a team for this years 24hr Mont (Scott24hr) in Canberra in October. It should be HUGE!!!

I need lights!!! So i really would like peoples thoughts, are the latest range of high power LED lights suitable? Specifically I was considering a CateEye Double Shot and Dinotte 5W combination (or possibly substitute the Dinotte for a Triple Shot)

Or am I ultimately going to need a much stronger light such as a Jet Phantom or L&M Arc HID?

Bear in mind that besides this event I typically only ride my road bike at night in Sydney (hence the Dinotte which I think will be a sensational road bike light).

I really dont want to spend a fortune for lights that I will use very little. So would a Double Shot on the bars and a Dinotte 5W on the head work well enough.

The longevity of LED, light weight and run times are a big +++ for me.

I guess my budget would be in the order of $500-600AUD (dont want to spend that much on ONE light)
ferei two heads ( two leds) with two holders for the stable when night riding, and CREE led for the high brightness, BL200L ( 1635lumens), is the best light for the night riding

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.