Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Im running a pair of avid elixir CR, and Im having problems with the rotor having a high point, such that it rubs on the pads upon mild braking.
Ive had this problem since it was new, and Ive only got 40 or so miles on it so far.
I aligned the caliper as per avids instructions eg apply brake then tighten screws. But it still rubs.
I dont recall examining the disc in minute detail but it seemed flat enough and not warped when i fitted it.
Im going to take the disc off tomorrow and have a lookg again, but failing a warped rotor, what else could cause the disc to be off. I had though about shimming it, but reading another thread convinced me that was a silly idea.
Any thoughts:confused:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If it's rubbing during a part of the rotation of the disc, true it; eyeball the "high" spot and bend it back gently. Your caliper is your best truing guide, don't take the disc off to see if it's true let alone trying to true it. This is just part of owning disc brakes, the rotors sometimes aren't true out the box; a little truing once in a while is normal. If it's rubbing constantly you might want to realign the caliper (following the instructions doesn't mean it worked). If the caliper doesn't have enough room in its range of movement to sit over the disc properly, you may need to shim or artfully use a dremel or something...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.