Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Underskilled
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the lightest oil you can get that still functions well in an open bath damper?

I've had a few issues with using light oils that they lose the ability to lubricate well.

I'm currently using motorex 2.5 WT.
Cst is 15cst and is slippery as a buttered weasel.

Is there something thinner that can still lubricate exceptionally well?

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Nothing I’ve tried personally, there’s not many oils under 14cSt and those are usually cartridge oils with a high VI and not great lubricity

What do you need a lighter oil for? I usually only for pretty specific applications

·
Underskilled
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"I usually only for pretty specific applications"

One very pretty one.

Wifey with the negligible weight.

Ta anyway.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
In an open bath damper? Honestly, they should all lubricate well in those conditions.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Here's the classic Peter Verdone chart of fork oils - Suspension fluids | Peter Verdone Designs

The only ones from that list I would consider are the golden spectro and Torco RFF as I would expect them to have good lubricity but the listed cSt values conflict with what else I have seen. Maybe Dougal has measured them and confirm whether its lighter or not

The only other one I've used that isn't listed is Juice Lubes/Rock Oil but I didn't rate the lubricity of it personally. Unfortunately there isn't an official measurement of lubricity so it's mostly going to be subjective which ones are better or not

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Another oil chart-

https://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/

Ohlins fork oil #2 is promising

Putoline has potential going by the numbers but I have zero experience with it

Generally speaking anything branded as a "fork oil" will have good lubricity and is made for open bath dampers, where as shock/cartridge oils and/or high VI (300+) tend to be less lubricious as they have more additives.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Your lighter mineral options are the Corex 10cst and 5cSt hydraulic oils that I've got. Also Shimano mineral oil brake fluid at 10 cSt.

https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/oils/hydraulic-oil

I haven't tried the Shimano oil for lubricity though.

The Rockshox 2.5wt and Reverb oils are around 10cSt but not slippery.

·
Underskilled
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do they compare to the motorex?
I don't want to lose the slippy to get lighter damping.
If it's good I might order a bottle same time as the Dorado mid valve... Any ideas when your investigation will be complete?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
But guys, shouldn't any oil lubricate in an open bath fork?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.