Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a noob racer and general wannabe health nut I am trying to better the overall quality of my feed. Not long ago I was drinking one of those Lipton lemon unsweetened tea drinks out of the gas station cooler on the way to a race and my bud, who is only about the most amazing rider I have ever seen, started telling me about how bad HFCS is for your body. I didn't think much of it, but last night I started searching the web for articles regarding HFCS. Of the several dozen articles I was able to find in the course of a few hours I found exactly one that had anything good to say about it, and it was on a site obviously set up by a company trying to market it for its cost in comparison to sugar.
It seems that everyone doing the studies is linking this stuff to obesity and diabites.
A quick venture through the grocery store today revealed that this stuff is in just about everything, even the supposedly healthy whole wheat bread in my kitchen, tomato soup, crackers, a lot of dried fruits and just about everything with a touch of sweetness... not to mention a bunch of products that advertise as being "100% Natural."

For all of you nutritionists, health nuts and fitness finatics....
What are your feelings about eating foods with HFCS?
Do you recommend eliminating it from my/your diet?

Any other advice on nutrition and stuff similar to this to avoid is welcome.
Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I learned this during a conversation with some bike pals last year, and ever since then check labels more carefully. It's in SO much stuff (wheat bread! green tea!) that it'll make you a little nuts.

But I tend to avoid sweetened drinks as much as possible anyway. Instead, I use a dash of grenadine syrup in seltzer. My French friends bring large bottles of grenadine each time they visit- all they sell around here are dinky little bottles. It has some kind of sugar syrup of course but not HFCS.

I don't think it's a problem unless you're eating/drinking a lot of junk to begin with. Now I keep a more careful eye out for it b/c it's sneaky!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I definatly avoid all drinks with any sugar, whether HFCS or other. If nothing else it is junk calories that are not going to help you get or stay lean and drinking sugary drinks is a really sneaky way to accidentally sabotage your efforts to be lean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I ride, I put 1.75 liters of water in my hydration pack and I fill my bottle with Gatorade.

Question is..would it be better not to drink the Gatorade because of the HFCS or is it ok to drink it because of the electrolytes that I get from it?

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
Avoiding foods with partially hydrogenated oils and/or high fructose has allowed me to poision my body with more beer without getting fat. Just about everything you should avoid has one of the two. If I feel like really training I get rid of booze and caffine for a while, and then crack out on Red Bull(sugar free) for the race. I can tell my body is happier without those things, but a stressful job usually requires coffee and booze....sometimes not in that order.

·
Registered
388 Posts
the research i have done links some hfcs to degradation of cartilage depending on how it is processed. at least that's what i got out of what i read. and you are right, it's scary just how many foods have hfcs included. although, if you shop labels it is possible to find the products that don't have any.

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
HFCS = Evil incarnate

Besides High Fructose Corn Syrup being the direct invention of satan himself for wreaking havoc on a healthy body, it is also on par with crack for its addiction factor and making you crave more and more and MORE. (or should that be "herself".... just like the whole God thing? )

I know when I eat a "normal" chocolate with major HFCS content, it goes down WAY too easy and I suddenly am stuffing it in my face as fast as I can get it. Grabbing a chunk of 70-80% chocolate with small or none HFCS and a little bit goes a long way.
Just one example.

·
Registered
305 Posts
HFCS & Hydrogenated Oil are Poisons

I've been biking everyday for my whole life, I train at the gym 3-4 days/week since I was a teenager. I'm 47 and a non smoker. So I guess I should be in pretty good shape. About 5 years ago I really started to feel like crap. I would get lightheaded spells 2-3 tirmes/day. chest and arm pain mainly after working out or biking. I had annual physicals and everything
was fine. BP borderline high but no prob. Resting HR 68 BPM. These symptoms continued
no mater what I did. Cut out beer for 1YR (bummer) no relief. So I just figured that this is
how it's gonna be for the rest of my life. Then I read some HFCS forums and cold turkey'd
all refined sugar and HFCS no Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, iced tea, candy, nothing exept the minimal amounts in wheat bread and ketcup ect. After 2 days it was like I took some miracle pill
all my symptoms instantly went away my BP plummeted to 120/76 and knocked 8BPM
of of my resting heart rate. It's like I turned the clock back 10 years. I can hit it harder at
the gym and on the bike like I havn't done in years WTF! It's been a month since being
99% HFCS free and I still can't believe it. None of my symptom have recured, not for one second. Take this testimonial for what it's worth but I truly believe that HFCS and Hydrogenated Oil are pure poisons.

·
Registered
290 Posts
poison and evil

My wife and I watched a show on one of the health channels and these 2 Drs went into peoples houses and threw away anything that contained HFCS or Hydrogenaged oil. Then tracked the people and their health. It was truly shocking how much food contains this stuff and the effect it has on a persons well being. I had minor surgery 2 weeks ago and as part of it I got a preop physical and had similar results as one of the posters. Elevated BP and pulse with high cholesterol. Not life threatening but something to be concerned with. I dont eat junk and live relatively healthy, riding 2-3 times a week in the winter and more the rest of the year. My wife went through the fridge and pantry and threw everything away if it contained either. She then went to the store and bought replacements. It wasn't easy for her because she had to read a ton of labels but now we know what to buy. In 2 weeks of doing zero riding cause of the surgery and eating the same amount I went from 206 lbs the day of surgery to 193 lbs. I cant wait to get back on the bike and see what I end up at. HFCS and the rest of the processed food is pure evil and all about corporate profit and the fattening of America.

The little Mrs found this.

http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/cornsyrup.html

"Today HFCS is used to sweeten jams, condiments like ketchup, and soft drinks. It is also a favorite ingredient in many so-called health foods. Four companies control 85 percent of the $2.6 billion business--Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, Staley Manufacturing Co. and CPC International. In the mid-1990s, ADM was the object of an FBI probe into price fixing of three products--HFCS, citric acid and lysine--and consumers got a glimpse of the murky world of corporate manipulation."

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
Bread machiner

Swamper said:
I switched to whole wheat bread and then found that most breads use HFCS in them also. Check the ingrediants.
Yet another reason why investing in a bread machine is a good investment. I have worn out a couple of bread machines over the years. Get everthing setup for efficiency and it literally takes a couple of minutes to "make" a batch of bread, then time it to greet you fresh baked in the morning or after work. Worth it just for the aroma wafting through the house!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Twisted Trail said:
Yet another reason why investing in a bread machine is a good investment. I have worn out a couple of bread machines over the years. Get everthing setup for efficiency and it literally takes a couple of minutes to "make" a batch of bread, then time it to greet you fresh baked in the morning or after work. Worth it just for the aroma wafting through the house!
Look carefully and you can find bread w/o partially hydros or HFCS. I found one that is Healthy Harvest or something like that and the ingredients match what you would use if you make it yourself. I think instead of HFCS they used brown sugar. Its 10 carbs (2 fiber) and 50 calories a slice FWIW.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Read 'the Omnivore's Dilemma' (sorry, forgot the author's name but the book is everywhere). It will tell you all about the HFCS industry and why is is hurting our bodies and our environment. Now, if I can just throw away all the Christmas candy and start fresh!

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
Mdm. Dabalot said:
...... Now, if I can just throw away all the Christmas candy and start fresh!
yah, knowing it versus living it...that IS the dilema! And the fact its more addicting than crack and its worked deeply into our upbringing.

I am with you on THAT as a challenge!

Although I must say, the more I get away from HFCS, the more it whacks me hard when I do "binge" on it and the less it takes to make it a "binge"!

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Gatorade isn't made with HFCS. Sucrose and dextrose yes. HFCS no. And HFCS apparently isn't that bad for you while exercising or racing. A lot of racers (including Adam Craig) use a 50%Coke/50%water solution. I would imagine if it didn't work for them, they would not use it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.