Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy, but after spending some time in Europe I really want to build out a step thru single speed. Unfortunately, for the most part, I can only find rather crappy newer bikes under the "comfort" specs or whatever.

Through your vast knowledge of the VRCs, do you guys know of any higher end step thrus that I may try to search for? For what it's worth, I'd really prefer it to be around 26" wheels...

May be an impossible dream without having to go to a custom build, but it's not that big of a desire. I have most of the parts that I could put on it, would really just need a frame - and, hopefully at a relatively inexpensive cost.

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Merlin made at least 1 step-through, I'd trawl up a pic for you but looking at it makes me queasy.

Obviously there is a place for such bikes: members of religious orders who wear long flowing robes, cross dressers, women who refuse to wear pants etc.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,326 Posts
Veloculture said:
It's an old French Motoconfort that we restored last year. It's from the 60's most likely. It has a 3 speed freewheel. It's on display in my store actually.
Those might be the cleanest lines I've seen on a vintage mixte. Hell, I'd wear a skirt just for the privilege to ride it. :)

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
1,493 Posts
jacobslide said:
they really don't exist for 26" wheels, do they?
Most of the good French one's have Mafac Racer brakes. These are the good one's to find. These days French headsets and BB's are available so no need to be afraid of French.

If you go with a Japanese bike they typically have short reach brakes. For these I do 650b conversions with long reach brakes. This allows you to get big tires and fenders on them. Some have 26" wheels but they aren't as common in the traditional mixte frame.

If you want to go with new look into Linus Bikes and Public bikes. Both of them are rad and have traditional geometry. I sell both at my store. Soma's are too expensive for what they are.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
jacobslide said:
Call me crazy, but after spending some time in Europe I really want to build out a step thru single speed.
That Merlin is so double-plus awesome.

I've thrown thousands of equipment dollars at this problem, but have pretty much decided that for me the issue is cultural. No amount of dutch-esque bikes have turned the places I ride into the experience of riding in a truly inclusive cycling culture.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Veloculture said:
Most of the good French one's have Mafac Racer brakes. These are the good one's to find. These days French headsets and BB's are available so no need to be afraid of French.

If you go with a Japanese bike they typically have short reach brakes. For these I do 650b conversions with long reach brakes. This allows you to get big tires and fenders on them. Some have 26" wheels but they aren't as common in the traditional mixte frame.

If you want to go with new look into Linus Bikes and Public bikes. Both of them are rad and have traditional geometry. I sell both at my store. Soma's are too expensive for what they are.
Yeah, I saw both of those and they look nice but spendy. Hoping to find an older, used frame to build up - moreso as a economy build, built with spare parts.

I'll keep an eye out for the frenchies.

Thx

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.