Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've all but refined my search to a 2013 model of either the Scott Spark RC 900, or the Trek Superfly 100 Pro SL.

Has anyone got any head-to-head experience with these bikes?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
The Spark has awesome geometry. The cool thing about it is that it is adjustable. High mode makes it feel more XC, low mode makes it feel more trailish, prefect for if you are going to focus more on descending for a day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have ridde superflys for the last 4 years, updating every second year and I loved them. I never rode a spark, but i guess that ignorance is bliss.
However i rode the elite sl, and if i was spending 8k on a bike, i might try a few other brands to compare.
I did just buy a 9k remedy without riding it, but the reviews were pretty good so i just went with it

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Both are dreamy, fast and sweet bikes. The Superfly is a tab more nimble, and Trek's warranty is second to none.

I had a carbon Scott road bike and the warranty process was a complete nightmare, for a premium, imported frame maker. Trek wins hands-down here....

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've all but refined my search to a 2013 model of either the Scott Spark RC 900, or the Trek Superfly 100 Pro SL.

Has anyone got any head-to-head experience with these bikes?
I rode both and they are amazing bikes, that's for sure. I however personally prefer the Scott but that doesn't mean that one is better than the other. Simply choose whatever fits you best.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Both are dreamy, fast and sweet bikes. The Superfly is a tab more nimble, and Trek's warranty is second to none.

I had a carbon Scott road bike and the warranty process was a complete nightmare, for a premium, imported frame maker. Trek wins hands-down here....
Scott is changing order right now and things are supposedly going to get better. The new CEO of the company is changing their home base from Sun Valley, ID to Park City, UT and will be focusing on the biking industry in the years to come as their main cash source for the US. My buddy works for them as a Ski/Running rep for the west coast and he was only 1 of 4 reps that were kept on after the change (he has a multi-discipline in climbing, bikes, running, and skiing) and the CEO told him at their last big rep meeting that things were going to do a general shift towards biking for the use as a focus.

I would take this as things will be bad for a short while trying to do warranty items but hopefully they will be building themselves back up into a stellar company. They have never really been known as a great biking company (at least on the MTB side) and are now really turning out some great products.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
santa cruz tallboy.
Yes the Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 is a very good option. No experience on the Scott but the Tallboy against the superfly I compared for a time. The superfly does not seem to confidence inspiring as the Tallboy did plus the Tallboy seemed a really sharp and snappy in turns. The VPP suspension was more plush in the rough rocky areas compared to the Trek and it seemed to pedal with the least amount to pedal bob. For context, this was a tallboy with a 120mm front fork. I have heard about the Scott warranty problems but as said on the previous post, maybe the new leader will steer the ship in a better direction. Yes Trek has a good warranty but the cracking problems are well known with Treks. Not worth it for carbon if you are having to swap out your frame due to cracks. The inconvenience, tear down, and time not riding is no good even if they warranty it well. Plus most shops charge for a tear down and rebuild and that is not covered in a warranty. Another option is the newly redone Niner Jet 9 RDO as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
I gotta throw this in... if you're looking at $5k+ bikes, why have you not considered an Ibis Ripley? If your concerned with warranty/customer service, just take a look at the Ibis sub-forum... Oh, and riding one is the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I do hope Scott improves their warranty process... I own 3 of their bikes (a Scale, Spark, and Speedster S20 road bike) and LOVE their approach to geometry...and twinloc.

·
EMBA Member
1,985 Posts
I've had a Tallboy Ltc since June 2012. Never regretted that purchase for a second. Never ridden the Scott or Trek mentioned so can't compare. If I was in the market right now, I'd want to test the Yeti SB95, but if my bike got stolen, I'd probably buy another Tallboy Ltc. It is as good overall as the very best of all the other bikes I've ridden.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts