Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide one one of these three races to enter. They are all within two weeks of each other so I need to choose one. Never been on any of these courses. Any opinions on which one is the best?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
wasatchbiker said:
I'm trying to decide one one of these three races to enter. They are all within two weeks of each other so I need to choose one. Never been on any of these courses. Any opinions on which one is the best?
Best is subjective.
I have only been to the HC100. I like the course and the event organization is top notch. Planning to be back this year.

·
ruffian
11 Posts
I have done all 3 HC100 is the fastest,and most technical, can be dusty, great trails,great organization, Butte is gonna be a toughy this year 2 loops of the 50 mile course from the past,winning 50 time was over 5hrs, super trails on the Continental Divide, so so organization,PH100, fun single track, some pavement climbing:( Altitude,great views, multilap format:( good people. My favorite course was Butte, my favorite from a race standpoint was HC.Hope this helps

·
Registered
75 Posts
oldbmxer said:
I have done all 3 HC100 is the fastest,and most technical, can be dusty, great trails,great organization, Butte is gonna be a toughy this year 2 loops of the 50 mile course from the past,winning 50 time was over 5hrs, super trails on the Continental Divide, so so organization,PH100, fun single track, some pavement climbing:( Altitude,great views, multilap format:( good people. My favorite course was Butte, my favorite from a race standpoint was HC.Hope this helps
I did the Butte 100 and PH 50 last year and would love to add the HC one of these years. I agree with oldbmxer that Butte will be tough with going to a 2 lap format although the section that was added to the 50 last year is being removed so that should help finishing times. The course will be 80-85% singletrack with the rest being ATV trail, and dirt road. The 2 lap format should significantly help the admittedly so-so organization and although a work in progress, there is fact a new website up now (butte100.com),

PH had great organization and some fun downhills but while the pavement sections helped with finishing times they weren't what I look for in a race. However, I understand that Troy is changing the 4 lap format to 3 laps which should add singletrack and reduce the length of the paved sections.

Bottom line is that you won't make a bad choice between the 3 of them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured there would not be a clear favorite. Good to know I really can't go wrong no matter which one I choose. Right now I'm leaning towards Butte or PH because they are closer to home. If HC100 is most technical that gives me more reason to go with one of the other two. Technical downhills are my weakness.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
wasatchbiker said:
I figured there would not be a clear favorite. Good to know I really can't go wrong no matter which one I choose. Right now I'm leaning towards Butte or PH because they are closer to home. If HC100 is most technical that gives me more reason to go with one of the other two. Technical downhills are my weakness.
It is not really the downhills that are technical. The trail tends to have rocks (lava and some loose), roots and ruts. Technical for an endurance race. Moderate as far a general trail ride. But there were a fair number of crashes on the descents last year.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I did the PH 100 last year and I thought the course was pretty good. The heavily rutted dirt-road downhill was kind of sucky, but not too long. The paved sections provide a nice rest and time to eat, but they were a little long for a MTB race.

The race was well organized, of course you wouldn't know it from their website, which needs a major upgrade, particularly with the increased interest that being part of the NUE series will bring. 4 laps is a little soul-crushing for a 100 mile race in my opinion. I would definitely prefer 3 longer laps just for the mental aspect. However, 4 laps does help with the feed zone planning.

I will probably do it again if I don't have any conflicts.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I haven't heard anything from the PH 100 organizers. Like I said, their website (blog) needs some serious attention. I assume registration will be through Athlete 360, maybe they will have some info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.