Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rumor about some hidden single track up above and around Lake Miramar. Can anyone confirm or deny such claims?

·
high plains drifter
388 Posts
yeah

there is a trail system throughout that community.it could take days to explore it .you can go from the lake to Jarebeck elementary almost entirely on those trails.good stuff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If they told you, they'd have to kill you! Why do you think Ebasil and gimper had to go on AIM or email... ;)

But... if i were to guess, I'd say that those trails connect to the trail system you see on the east along 15. I would try to stay out of that area because that'd be restricted, like the trails north of the freeway from Mission Trails

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Yeti_Rider said:
Trails north of 52 and MT? there is such a thing? ;-)

YR
Got a story for you. I lived in San Diego from 1969 to about 1988. Back in the late 70's / early 80's I had a few friends I went off-roading with. One of the areas we went was east of Tierra Santa. Now keep in mind that it was much smaller, more isolated, and 52 didn't go out there. The land that was to become Mission Trails was there, but undeveloped. You could usually find a way to sneek in and drive around. Once you got in past any barricades there might be to keep you from going off-road, there weren't any fences, so where you went was more a function of road conditions and what kind of vehice you had. Now and then the sheriff would send a helicopter over to chase you out, but that was rare.

The main north south road west of the mountains was the one that follows the water pipeline. (That's whats under those big concrete stacks that stick up on either side of 52 as you go across the mountains towards Santee) But then, as now, north of a line that is now 52, you were no longer on city or private property, you were in Camp Elliot. And Camp Elliot had been used for live fire training by the Marines during WW2. There were a few rusty signs and stretches of fence, but nothing continuous or formidable to keep you out.

After getting stuck out there a few times, we learned to park and scout ahead any time conditions seemed sketchy. So one rainy afternoon, we are doing just that, and cutting through the brush over a small hill, because the new trail we've found is over grown and muddy as it routes around the base of the hill. We crest the hill and see that this trail dead ends in a pocket perhaps a tenth of mile beyond where we had stopped. So we turn around and start back to the truck. There, lying face down on the ground is an old sign. We flip it over, and on the front it says

"Danger! Unexploded Ordnance. Keep Out!

We walked very carefully back to the truck.

I'd be very thoughtful of poaches north of 52. There are hazards besides ticks, rattlesnakes and MPs.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Gimper4JC said:
Hmmm... I dont speak spanish.
Good grief, man... "Claro que si'!" is mexican vernacular for "of course!" or more directly translated, "Clearly, yes!".

My screen name here/everywhere at AOL. YetiRider found me...

It's not a big secret, though. There's a whole network of singletracks, now littered with felled or deadfall trees since the '03 fires. They just go in and around all the homes, and are all open to bikes/hikers, etc... I haven't ridden them lately because of all the deadfall.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
It's called a bolo knife

mateoway said:
all the souvenirs
Nice find! I bet you could put a wicked edge on that thing. The only souvenirs I ever found out there were empty cartridges and pieces of exploded artillery shells. We left all that stuff., along with the sign.

·
Registered
122 Posts
EBasil said:
Good grief, man... "Claro que si'!" is mexican vernacular for "of course!" or more directly translated, "Clearly, yes!".

My screen name here/everywhere at AOL. YetiRider found me...

It's not a big secret, though. There's a whole network of singletracks, now littered with felled or deadfall trees since the '03 fires. They just go in and around all the homes, and are all open to bikes/hikers, etc... I haven't ridden them lately because of all the deadfall.
Like I said, I don't speak Spanish. (except, " carne asada burrito w/sour cream & guaclamolie) (don't ya love the speeling)

Anyways, just always looking for new trails to ride. The deadfall trees? Make jumps over them...

Email coming at ya.
:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.