Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon bikers

I am going to break down and get me a hid light.currently running the '03 viewpro dual lights from performance bike shop. it is a good decent light but i want something a little brighter to see and be seen. I am trying to stay around the 300.00 area. Any ideas where i can get a decent hid light for that price?
thanks

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Some places are selling the L&M Arc Li for $399. Combine that wiht a % off coupon and you may be close. Friday I was able to get one with the Nashbar 20% off coupon so it was down to $320.

·
Registered
991 Posts
FYI, Batteryspace.com customer service sucks!

I purchased their HID kit with the Li-Ion battery. The Trail-Tech lamp is nearly identical to the Topeak Moonshine (I'm using mounts for the Moonshine ordered from Todson) and is a fantastic light. I have no complaints with the lamp.

I have plenty with bs.com. I ordered the HID kit on a Saturday when it was indicated as "in stock" (it had been out of stock earlier in the week). It should have been shipped Monday and delivered by Wednesday. I received the tracking number early Mon. morning and an e-mail confirming it was shipped later that morning.

Wednesday comes, but no light. I e-mail bs.com and they tell me the light is out of stock. I forward them their e-mail telling me it had shipped...I ask them, "how is an empty box that never leaves the building considered to be shipped?" I tell them that I am not angry that the product is out of stock, but I am angry in the principle that I had to contact them to discover it was out of stock. And oh, yeah, you guys told me it had shipped. I should have been told immediately on Monday that it was out of stock :rolleyes:

Anyway, the light works fantastic...no, phenomenal...THREE TIMES!!! The battery pack dies during the third use. Maybe 2.5-3 hours total use with one charge in between. Zero voltage, zero continuity, nothing. I've spoken to 2 customer service reps, both have told me different return policies. One has tried to tell me that it is the protective circuit on the PCB that is at fault and that unplugging it from the charger for 30 seconds will reset the battery. BS bs.com. Not only does your customer service suck, but they don't listen to the customers. No longer is the day that the customer is always right.

So, if you go ahead and buy the bs.com HID kit, bear these things in mind. 1) the TrailTech lamp is a great lamp (see MTBR review of Topeak Moonshine lamp for example). 2) opt for the NiMH pack...they are heavier, but more robust. The Li-Ion pack requires some protective circuitry that may make it finicky...fine if you purchase a premium Li-Ion pack from a premium company; but in my limited experience with cheap Li-Ion packs (n = 1), I cannot recommend those from bs.com; 3) pray that you do not have any problems so as not to bring upon yourself the wrath of the bs.com customer service.

Your experience may vary :D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
VegasSingleSpeed said:
FYI, Batteryspace.com customer service sucks!

I purchased their HID kit with the Li-Ion battery. The Trail-Tech lamp is nearly identical to the Topeak Moonshine (I'm using mounts for the Moonshine ordered from Todson) and is a fantastic light. I have no complaints with the lamp.
How much did the mounts run and who/where's "Todson".

I got the NiMh battery so no circuit issues, I've used it 4-5 times so far. My biggest complaint is that my helmet doesn't have anywhere I could put the dual-loc tape (no flat area) so it's a pain to mount but I might have a working solution now thanks to finding something in my pile o' stuff.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well, what do you know...

brickhead said:
..trying to stay around the 300.00 area. Any ideas where i can get a decent hid light for that price?
I always read the ad spreads in the bike rags to see what looks like a good deal. In Mountain Bike Action, there is one such ad from WheelWorld.com that has the '04 Niterider Storm or Blowtorch on sale for $269.

To me, that seems like a decent deelio.

jps

·
Registered
80 Posts
Best bang for your buck

brickhead said:
I am trying to stay around the 300.00 area. Any ideas where i can get a decent hid light for that price?
thanks
Click on all the Hot Deals on the mtbr homepage, then scroll down to Lume lighting. $265 for the Strada. I have one and it's one of the best out there. You can check out the review and see the light pattern here: http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Brandon said:
How much did the mounts run and who/where's "Todson".

I got the NiMh battery so no circuit issues, I've used it 4-5 times so far. My biggest complaint is that my helmet doesn't have anywhere I could put the dual-loc tape (no flat area) so it's a pain to mount but I might have a working solution now thanks to finding something in my pile o' stuff.
Todson is the US distributor of Topeak products. It ran me about $15 including shipping for the helmet and bike mount. You also need to request the "base" from a Moonshine light, otherwise the mounts are worthless (e.g. you will not have the part that slides onto the mount). I'm using the bike-mount at this time; the helmet mount is woefully inadequate to support the mass of the lamp.

Good luck with your lamp; I've got a NiMH water-bottle battery pack on the way, so hopefully I'll be on my way on Monday...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
VegasSingleSpeed said:
Todson is the US distributor of Topeak products. It ran me about $15 including shipping for the helmet and bike mount. You also need to request the "base" from a Moonshine light, otherwise the mounts are worthless (e.g. you will not have the part that slides onto the mount). I'm using the bike-mount at this time; the helmet mount is woefully inadequate to support the mass of the lamp.

Good luck with your lamp; I've got a NiMH water-bottle battery pack on the way, so hopefully I'll be on my way on Monday...
The Batterystation standard NiMh battery fit into a small water bottle (through a slit in the side) so I've used it both ways. I made a bar mount from a mount I had for a cateye micro and some bits'n'pieces I had easy access to. Last time I used it on a road ride cars were flashing their brights at me.

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
VegasSingleSpeed said:
The Trail-Tech lamp is nearly identical to the Topeak Moonshine (I'm using mounts for the Moonshine ordered from Todson) and is a fantastic light.
Hey VegasSingleSpeed

I've had the TrailTech light for six months now. I've been through a couple of variations of handlebar mounts but each keeps breaking. (Maybe I should crash less?) So if I order the Topeak mount, is there any other adapters or adaptation I need? What is involved in getting the ToPeak mount to work?

Thanks in advance
Tom

·
Registered
424 Posts
does anyone sell the moonshine connectors from a website?

I've been looking, but can't find them on todson's site. I don't live in the US, so want to just order online rather than ringing up.

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.