Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ted Wojcik 29er has pretty narrow chain stays, I can only fit a 2.1 in tire in there. I have used the WTB Nano's and IRC Mythos with out problems but cant really go wider. I guess that means a 2.1 that is a little taller in order to gain a little extra volume, any suggestions?.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how does the width...

burner said:
I love the specialized fast traks for a rear tire.
compare to the tire's I have already used?. I cant go any wider :nono: .

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
edouble said:
My Ted Wojcik 29er has pretty narrow chain stays, I can only fit a 2.1 in tire in there. I have used the WTB Nano's and IRC Mythos with out problems but cant really go wider. I guess that means a 2.1 that is a little taller in order to gain a little extra volume, any suggestions?.
all that casharooski for a custom and you're stuck in narrow tire oblivion?:eek:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Two options

I don't know about there width compared to the tires you have run. But the maxxis ignitor 2.1 and the specialized fasttrack 2.0, are both pretty high volume tires. Out of the two I perfer the ignitor.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Paging Mr. Bib?

What about the new Michelin tire. Michelin's generally have high volume casings. Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
817 Posts
edouble said:
compare to the tire's I have already used?. I cant go any wider :nono: .
I haven't taken a caliper to them but they fit in the back of my 05 dos niner just fine, which has fat tire clearance issues. I like the fast traks because of those little side knobs, you can really lean in the turns, and they *feel* higher volume than the nano.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, its not his fault though...

SingingSingleTracker said:
all that casharooski for a custom and you're stuck in narrow tire oblivion?:eek:
He had a pair of triple butted Columbus stays that he felt would provide an exceptional ride quality and offered them to me. He said he knew they would fit a 2.1 because he had used an Ignitor to test them. I gave him the go ahead, hoping that they would also fit something a little bigger. After all, I have 6 steel bikes and all of them will fit a 2.3 so I figured this one would too. It didnt, but the bike does ride really, really nice. I just like hi volume tires, so I hope to smooth out the ride even more.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have narrow clearance as well. It will be hard to beat the volume of a Nanoraptor or IRC. They're both maximum volume/minimum knob type tires for their width. If you can go a touch wider, you may be able to fit an Exiwolf - they're fat in the middle and narrower on the crown, so they fit my bike in spite of their size. All the other tires I can fit are smaller casings with bigger knobs.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I say : whack it with the thick lead pipe!!
I still want to do that to a steel frame, however my cheap-ass frames already easily fit the WTB Weirwolf 2.55 ;-)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you joking...

MMcG said:
Maybe you can bring your frame up to Ted sometime for some "manipulation" if you will.
or is this possible?.

·
Registered
117 Posts
python 29ers should be in the good ol us of a very soon:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will ask...

MMcG said:
You won't know unless you ask Ted, but it is steel and it can be bent/crimped right?
him and see what he says.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
edouble said:
or is this possible?.
yes. ted can crimp the stays a bit. there are limits, of course. you will also ruin the paint doing this, so you can touch it up or just go for a full repaint. i will have this done when my frame goes for repaint and modification.

i think the trick is to exactly where the tire hits so you can minimize the crimping and have it give you the most clearance. my TW frame fits the exiwolf, but barely rubs with the rampage. and it rubs because the crimp in the seatstay is a little rearward of where it should be.

really, ask ted instead of here... you will get all kinds of poor advice here, alongside the valid helpful advice. it can be hard to distinguish the two sometimes (for me at least).

i am using the kenda karma 2.2 tire and it rubs a little when the frame/wheel flexes under hard turning or whatever. i will have ted crimp where the paint is rubbing off.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good advice...

jh_on_the_cape said:
yes. ted can crimp the stays a bit. there are limits, of course. you will also ruin the paint doing this, so you can touch it up or just go for a full repaint. i will have this done when my frame goes for repaint and modification.

i think the trick is to exactly where the tire hits so you can minimize the crimping and have it give you the most clearance. my TW frame fits the exiwolf, but barely rubs with the rampage. and it rubs because the crimp in the seatstay is a little rearward of where it should be.

really, ask ted instead of here... you will get all kinds of poor advice here, alongside the valid helpful advice. it can be hard to distinguish the two sometimes (for me at least).

i am using the kenda karma 2.2 tire and it rubs a little when the frame/wheel flexes under hard turning or whatever. i will have ted crimp where the paint is rubbing off.
my man, I plan to follow it :thumbsup: . How you liking those Kenda Karma's?.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts