Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dirtmistress
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look forward to coming to your fine state once again the 11th to the 21st! For sure you have some of the finest trails in the west.
The 4 of us plan on driving from L.A. in 2 Prius's with racks attached. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:
The first stop is Prairie creek redwoods state park in NorCAl.
Then off to NUT for a day. Oakridge for a couple days to do Alpine and Willamette something or other. Heard it's great. Then Waldo lake and Mackenzie river. I want to go to Mt. Hood but I think we may blast back to Cali and hit up Big Boulder in Downieville.
Has anyone done Waldo lake recently? All reviews are from 2 years ago. I would sure like to know conditions and any hazards that may have developed.
Any particular way to do it? Any info. on Waldo would be appreciated. Is it like Applegate lake? We did not like that ride.
Hope to see some of you on the trail

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,546 Posts
I doubt Waldo is free of snow now but it will be by the time you get here.

Problem is, the mosquitos will be so thick in July that you won't be able to see through the black cloud. That time of year they can drain a typical human's entire blood supply in under a minute.

Come back in September. Waldo is one of the very best rides on this particular planet, even this particular universe.

--Sparty

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'll be glad to be your tour guide

dirtmistress said:
I look forward to coming to your fine state once again the 11th to the 21st! For sure you have some of the finest trails in the west.
The 4 of us plan on driving from L.A. in 2 Prius's with racks attached. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:
The first stop is Prairie creek redwoods state park in NorCAl.
Then off to NUT for a day. Oakridge for a couple days to do Alpine and Willamette something or other. Heard it's great. Then Waldo lake and Mackenzie river. I want to go to Mt. Hood but I think we may blast back to Cali and hit up Big Boulder in Downieville.
Has anyone done Waldo lake recently? All reviews are from 2 years ago. I would sure like to know conditions and any hazards that may have developed.
Any particular way to do it? Any info. on Waldo would be appreciated. Is it like Applegate lake? We did not like that ride.
Hope to see some of you on the trail
I have every tue, thur and saturday off. I'm a full time bike mechanic in Eugene and know all the cool local trails. I can show ya how to clean stuff on a rigid fixie. I'll cook you lunch on my hobo stove. I'll take a million pics of you and email them to you. I'll even help with gas.

I would recommend the Mr T from Clear Lake down, I love the lava sections and the swoopy bottom end. I live at the mouth of the Mckenze river so you have to go by my house on the way.

I also recommend Fall Creek for best ride with swimming and berries. It's also near Eugene and is a lovely drive without much traffic. It's also nearly poke free.

I'm from Arizona and love the place. Best mountain and road biking. I love the green and all those steams and rivers. Hope to see you........Lef-t

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hey dirtmistress, good to have talked to you yesterday! If we do not talk to you, please let us know where you ended up riding, I am curious what you will think about Castle Rock and where you finally do end up. Another idea I had for the shuttle is for two people to grab a ride back up to get your vehicle. Also, if you camp in the area, you never know who you will meet at a joining campground who can give you a ride.
:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you're coming up from California you should try and ride Ashland. Hit up Ashland Mountain Adventures if you want to use their shuttle service. www.ashlandmountainadventures.com

You'd ride from the top of Mt. Ashland down to the city. The trails all add up to about a 12 mile ride which would take between one to two hours most likely.

·
Dirtmistress
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. on Waldo lake. I confirmed the skeeter problem so that's out. How disappointing. I've wanted to do Waldo for a long time but can never time it right!

Lef-t, I'm just not sure of our arrival schedule. I pretty much have every day taken care of.
Umpqua, Alpine, MFW, Mackenzie and a free day in there where, perhaps, we may do Castle Rock?? Fall Crk?? Eat pizza and get fat? I don't know.

Ashland is a possibility on the way home but it looks dry. Like L.A. We need ferns!

Can anyone recommend campgrounds around Mackenzie and Oakridge that I can call? Or lodge or motel with hot tub perhaps?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ashland is a possibility on the way home but it looks dry. Like L.A. We need ferns!

Not that dry! I would highly recommend a shuttle to the top of Mt Ashland for the 12 mile + descent. There is some climbing, but not much, & some ripping singletrack in a nice forest setting, you would not be dissapointed. Ashland is a really nice town (I am from Bend, BTW) Just park a car in Lithia park, where you will end up, then hit up one of the excellent food places at the bottom.

·
I got nothin'
739 Posts
Mrt

I second Sparty's recommendation and offer Paradise Campground as a second choice if you want to car camp. Paradise is downstream about a mile from Belknap on Highway 126.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
lef-t said:
I have every tue, thur and saturday off. I'm a full time bike mechanic in Eugene and know all the cool local trails. I can show ya how to clean stuff on a rigid fixie. I'll cook you lunch on my hobo stove. I'll take a million pics of you and email them to you. I'll even help with gas.

Hope to see you........Lef-t
I'm waiting for Lef-t to offer "Free Candy!";)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.