Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
It looks, well it looks almost dry and very ridable. Haven't heard the word "Malarkey" in years though. I am so beyond curious about H. Mnt and can't wait to ride. Too bad that will be late summer. Are there any good views or amazing moments as an added bonus?

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
What about the rest of the preserve? Trails?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
red & white

imho the blue & yellow is just as much of the preserve as the area you circled which is the red, white and other part of the yellow

the blue was a little muddy today and just washed bike w/pink mtb soap. for my level of fitness & mtb skills, the route i did today was ideal. the part you circled is accesable from wpu (william patteron univ), while the red is very rideable, the yellow up to the hi mtn summit itself, is very steep and I consider advanced mtb, and the white, as i come back to wpu, past the golf course, can be fairly steep itself

today's ride on delorme topo 8 interface, as recoded on the pn-40 (previous post data was from my foreunner 405)
https://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=534344

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Cool info. How accurate is this map? Do all the trails connect? Where is the white trail on this map or is it not really an official trail. What's the mileage if you ride all of the loops? Is this park large? I am imagining something small like the Tourne.

Second, I've been checking out the G. For. 405 online, but have yet to see one in person. Are they really huge and bulky? It is one of the best looking watches at the moment as polar and suunto have gone el cheapo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the map is very accuarete

my delorme pn-40 & foreunner 405

foreunner 405 is my main recorder but elevation is not accurate. the 310xt woulda been better for me as the 310xt you can swim with the foreunner 405 you cannot

btw: white trail is hard to see on map, it has a green stroke and goes from top to bottom in the center of the map:thumbsup:

btw white trail is hard to see on map, it has a greenish stroke an goes from top to bottom of map
luckily i bought the 405 used on a local bike web site ($200) i coulda got the cadence meter too for another $75 from the guy, tourne might be bigger, but hi mtn has more elevation gain. tourne has top of the tourne and a couple of climbs, but less of a work out

imho, if you do all the marked trails in an afternoon you had a good work-out, there are also unmarked trails

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
That 405 is huge. Definitely a no go. Spent the winter "watchless" in order to get rid of a cyst from my Suunto X5HR banging against my wrist. I need a something small and light.

That PN-40 looks interesting though. I think I will google it and read some reviews. My garmin 305 is kick'n and works great even in heavy tree cover, but converting from .tcx to .gpx and back to .tcx is a real pain. The garmin software is very awkward and the 305 can't be mounted as a removable usb device. Also no base maps is a bummer.

BTW., for that Franklin Mnt Tri, where do they hold the swim? and what distance?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have the edge 305 too, but dropped out and it was somewhat working for a while, now don't power on, maybe get the 500 as a replacement for roadie stuff. the gps forum has a lot of reviews, some folks using droid or iphone

the tri is in june and its wyckoff/franklin lakes it sold out in like 2 days. i took a pic of the transition area yesterday, and the swim is in franklin lake

lake is on the other side of the field:thumbsup:

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Are you allowed to wear a wetsuit for the swim? You're going to be freezing your tookus off in early june. Still, open water swimming is so much fun than pool work. That field in the pic is off 202 by Ramapo college?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the tri is held at

Indian Trail Club
830 Franklin Lake Road
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, 07417
Tel: 201.891.4480
i have a shorty wet suit i use. 2 years ago i signed up nj olympic and the wet suit was contingent on the water temp. it got too warm so the strictly forbid the wet suit. subsequently some one drowned at that tri one week after some one drowned in hudson at the ny tri

although the wet suit helps you float, its tightness can cause an elevated heart rate coupled with the race it may actually cause people to pass out and drowned. i purchased a special belt that inflates off of a co2 cartridge, although i have not used it yet, i hope to when i attempt a longer swim about a mile or more:thumbsup:

when we practice the tri course we park at market basket, as I did for the mtb ride yesterday up hi mtn, its just accross the street from the lake

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26261113

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Tourne is very similar in size and amount of trails. They are both cool for about an hour or so, when you are short on time. Unlike the Tourne though, expect the trails to be unmaintained fire roads and quad paths. The view of NYC from the top is pretty killer. I usually head up there with a group of people around the 4th of July to see all of the firework displays. Don't expect anything along the lines of Ringwood or Chimney Rock.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're ambitius you can mtb thru hi mtn to and from other areas.

a few weeks ago i mtbed to hi mtn from lenape tree, (brookkdale park), the loop i did yeseterday you can exit the blue trail and head yonder to canonball and onto ringood, jh, sf or wawa, for me the similiarity to the tourne is its proximty to home & work, places like tourne have the soccer mom with the dog on leash that you must yield too, hi mtn is rugged indeed, but its a good place to get your climbing skills dialed in if you so wish :thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mackman, you might want to edit your original post. The trails are way too soft to be out on. I followed your track through all of the puddles and soft spots. We need to keep off the trails until they can really dry out. Bush whacking around a puddle or soft spot just makes the trail wider.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2nd thought the blue trail was soft in spots. i may run there over the next few days and look for my glasses:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi mtn tics

biked this morning at branch brook in prep for the cherry blossum festival then went running today at hi mountain looking for my glasses i lost on st paddys day

after running a fair amount of the f.l. tri course (about 3 of the 5 miles) i headed into hi mountain preserve and ended up with a run in exces of 10 miles plus at least 2 tics. after the run i swam 30 minutes hoping to kill an rogue tics. after that todays runs clothes went in the washer

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27683655

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Well? Did you find the glasses?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
No worries on the glasses as I am getting 3 pairs of frameless ones this week I purchased on line. I have to get some extra mirrors at the lbs

Btw I think hi mtn near wpu is where I am gonna go more often and stay in the middle of the trail to avoid the tics

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
One would think with the snow and cold the tick population would have taken a good hit. Last year was awful and not just deer ticks, but dog, sand ticks, and mosquitoes. Removing body fur and showering as soon as you get home usually does the trick. Personally, I find Waywayanda to be the worst

I'm curious what rimless glasses you ordered? Italee?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cannonballtrail said:
One would think with the snow and cold the tick population would have taken a good hit. Last year was awful and not just deer ticks, but dog, sand ticks, and mosquitoes. Removing body fur and showering as soon as you get home usually does the trick. Personally, I find Waywayanda to be the worst

I'm curious what rimless glasses you ordered? Italee?
The stagnant water near the blue trail probably causes the boom for the tics.

my order from nashbar should come today or tomorrow

NA-NOF-OR NASHBAR NO FRAME SUNGLASS Quantity: 3 EA
VT-OCECXB VITTORIA OPEN CORSA CX ROAD TIRE Quantity: 2 EA
AA-AVSG-M-BL AVENIR SERIOUS GLOVE Quantity: 2 PR

my last pair of frameless the nose piece was rubber broke off the metal so i got rid of them, these look like one piece entirely good for run, water (backstroke) and bike (even tt) as there's no frame to block vision in aero position, for 10 bux there cheaper than the streets of nyc:thumbsup:

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
More like the streets of Hong Kong at those prices. What a deal :thumbsup: . I'm blind so everything has to be RX and turns into a major investment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts