Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently serviced my fork, and somewhere along the way, i think i got either fork oil or carb cleaner on my rotor. i put the front end back together, reinstalled the caliper to the fork and gave the forks a test with the brake on. to my horror, the front brake felt like it lost over 50% of its power and it made a bad shreaking noise. i took the pads off, cleaned the rotor and pads with isopropyl alchohol, and put it back together. took the bike up the hill and back down for a break-in, exactly how MBA described it, except the hill i live on is a tad steeper than a false flat. anyways, got back, they seemed ok, they were at about 80% power. this morning i went out to the garage and they shreaked again, with about 75% power. after hitting the brakes a few times, the shreaking stopped, maybe due to the brakes warming up, but they were fine yesterday in the 35 degree weather. what is going on? should i try a new rotor and pads? thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
rm_racer said:
lever feels just like it has. so should i invest in brand new pads and just clean the rotor? i have already cleaned the rotor and pads twice.
yep.. clean the rotor and use new pads...it is very hard to recover pads once they are contaminated...

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got some new pads on order. i don't know if i want new discs or not. been thinking about a 7 inch up front, and it looks like the pads have been wearing on the arms of the rotor both in front and back. i just went out and put the 2mm washers between the caliper and the adapter, as opposed to them being between the bolt head and the caliper like they came on the bike. now it looks like the pads are where they should be. checked the top with a flashlight and the top looks good too. are my rotors toast? i hope not...cuz it will cost me 100 bucks alone for new pads front and rear and rotors front and rear. i can provide pictures of the rotors if you want.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
rm_racer said:
got some new pads on order. i don't know if i want new discs or not. been thinking about a 7 inch up front, and it looks like the pads have been wearing on the arms of the rotor both in front and back. i just went out and put the 2mm washers between the caliper and the adapter, as opposed to them being between the bolt head and the caliper like they came on the bike. now it looks like the pads are where they should be. checked the top with a flashlight and the top looks good too. are my rotors toast? i hope not...cuz it will cost me 100 bucks alone for new pads front and rear and rotors front and rear. i can provide pictures of the rotors if you want.
the rotors should be fine, just clean them real good with isopropyl alcohol and you should be good to go...

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank god...this is the first time i have had brake problems. i can diagnose almost all the other problems on my bike, but this has been kicking my ass the last couple days. thanks. quick question though: should i have to run those washers between the caliper and the adapter?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
rm_racer said:
thank god...this is the first time i have had brake problems. i can diagnose almost all the other problems on my bike, but this has been kicking my ass the last couple days. thanks. quick question though: should i have to run those washers between the caliper and the adapter?
If the pads were catching the rotor arms, as you stated before, and the washers move them high enough it should be fine...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Say no to washers!

If you have the correct bracket, you should not need washers between the caliper and the mount. If the pads contact the rotor arms slightly it's not a problem. Questions? give us a call 1888-MTN-DISC

Randy

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well it does it on both ends, these are the brakes that came stock on the bike. with the washers under, it's perfect.i tried messing with the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame, tried moving them away as much as possible, but to no availe. so i'm gonna leave it like this, and within 8 months i may have some shiny new juicy sevens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.