Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to put this out there since we know that the company does have someone that posts on these threads.

Anyways all I want to know is..... Are you folks planning on having a full aluminum rear end for the 575? Being that it is a trail/all mountain bike it would be nice to have the option of going to the full aluminum just like we have the option of a full carbon rear. As for the weight penalty, I really could care less I just want a 6inch bike that won't crumble under me when I am just trying to explore new (rocky) trails.

I know that stats about carbon and how much stronger and stiffer (depending how its made) than its counter part. But I have personal experience that carbon does break eaiser over sharp rocky terrain. I can't help but keep thinking if I just had a solid aluminum rear end I probably would have not have to cough up the $$$ for a new rear, eventually but not right away. With the way it got hit I highly doubt that I would have to replace the rear so soon. I have definitly laid A bike down alot worse and barely seen any eveidence on my bike that it did get laid down.

Well just to wrap this up I just hope you guys are possibly for the up coming riding season (Mid 09- early 10') to have the option of having a solid (I don't care if it's super burly and heavy) rear end. :p I just can't ge away from the 575. It has the perfect geo, and sizing for me.

Thanks.
A very loyal Yeti fan :thumbsup:

P.S. I am still loving my 08' 575. Can't stop smiling when I am riding it. :D

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Tinshield said:
I would accept the weight penalty for some better stiffness in the rear triangle.
Although I like the durability of Aluminum, carbon is usually going to result more stiffness. An aluminum rear triangle will probably be more flexible than carbon, not less.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VaughnA said:
An aluminum rear triangle will probably be more flexible than carbon, not less.
Not unless they build it like they mean it!!! :p

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dvo1 said:
They will, but it is going to get an extra 1.25" of travel.

That would be sweet but that's entering the ASX realm and That's not what I am looking for. I got a bike for that type of riding already. Just a sweet rig (which the 575 is) but with a aluminum rear. It's very simple, they already got one of the best bike out ther now they just got to make more options for it. :D

·
i can't type the letter s
1,093 Posts
doodooboi said:
But I have personal experience that carbon does break eaiser over sharp rocky terrain. I can't help but keep thinking if I just had a solid aluminum rear end I probably would have not have to cough up the $$$ for a new rear, eventually but not right away. With the way it got hit I highly doubt that I would have to replace the rear so soon.
What happened? Did this happen to the 575 and do you have pics or a thread on this?

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mouse jockey said:
What happened? Did this happen to the 575 and do you have pics or a thread on this?
Well just ended up laying the bike down on it's side after getting richcoet from a rock cause my fork ended up not wanting to work. So I fell to my side and the bike did take the hit. And it hit it right in the middle of the Carbon Seat Stay. Just below the fin. Unfortunatley the pictures that I did take did get lost on my SD card somehow. So now I got no photo of it. But Yeti has it and hope that they can work on making it alot stronger.

It basically got hit in the side/top area and it just cracked it in half all the way through. It was a pretty striaght crack but you can tell the carbon really failed cause it was flaked off really easily. boy i wish i could draw or had the picture. :madman:

·
EDR
10,295 Posts
doodooboi said:
It basically got hit in the side/top area and it just cracked it in half all the way through. It was a pretty striaght crack but you can tell the carbon really failed cause it was flaked off really easily. boy i wish i could draw or had the picture. :madman:
When I ordered my '08 575 the guy said he could get me a full carbon rear for the same price as the Al/CF combo. I said, "No thanks but can you get me a full aluminum rear end for the same price as a Al/CF combo?"...needless to say, no luck on that one.

I'm with ya on this one. CF and Phoenix/SoMo trails are not a good match.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
VaughnA said:
Although I like the durability of Aluminum, carbon is usually going to result more stiffness. An aluminum rear triangle will probably be more flexible than carbon, not less.
It all depends how they layer it up. Carbon can be built up any way you want it.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eatdrinkride said:
That's what I am talking about!!! I think all bike manufactures need to test there bikes out here in AZ (SoMo, goat camp).

·
www.obec.co.uk
97 Posts
I buy a full ally rear end, gets my vote.:thumbsup:

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
this is the reason...

eatdrinkride said:
When I ordered my '08 575 the guy said he could get me a full carbon rear for the same price as the Al/CF combo. I said, "No thanks but can you get me a full aluminum rear end for the same price as a Al/CF combo?"...needless to say, no luck on that one.

Why I run some form of protection (chainstay protectors) on those CF seatstays...SoMo and our lovely granite will find that CF sooner or later:eek: In Doo Doo's case... sooner:madman:

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AZmtncycler said:
Why I run some form of protection (chainstay protectors) on those CF seatstays...SoMo and our lovely granite will find that CF sooner or later:eek: In Doo Doo's case... sooner:madman:
I am thinking of wraping it up with some bar tape or one of my old DH tires. But that would kill alot of tire space on the sides since I am already running 2.35 nev which is pretty tight fit already. But I will soon find out once I put it on. trial and error untill Yeti gets an Aluminum version out..... :p

Hope they catch on since I have mentioned it in every post I have put on here. :D

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
I agree that in some environments a full alu rear would be better, what I find hard would be to have the fin/arch done in aluminum while not reducing the tire clearance further...

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
crisillo said:
I agree that in some environments a full alu rear would be better, what I find hard would be to have the fin/arch done in aluminum while not reducing the tire clearance further...
They probably could rid of the arch/fin if they go full aluminum. They would need to make the seatstay alot bulier to keep the lateral stiffness though.

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
doodooboi said:
They probably could rid of the arch/fin if they go full aluminum. They would need to make the seatstay alot bulier to keep the lateral stiffness though.
true...but still having some kind of bridge is the easiest way even with huge stays

·
EDR
10,295 Posts
One thing is for sure. I love my 575 for many reasons but not for it's stiffness. My '05 had no brace and it was full Al. Wasn't very stiff in the rear but I never really had a complaints.

For a stiff bike I'm saving my pennies for a Knolly :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts