Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting all summer for the new Remedy to come out. I currently ride trails on a 2018 Remedy 8 that I have done a lot of upgrades on including line pro wheels, bar, and stem. This bike has been awesome and I have ridden it a ton, but I'm ready to go for the carbon frame.

Slash, Top Fuel, Fuel EX, they all have 7 or more build options including shimano builds and project one. Slash and EX have the new internal storage which looks super cool. The new Remedy only has 2 builds so far, no shimano options, no project one, no internal storage.

What gives Trek? I know you guys are big on the 29ers, but there are still plenty of riders out there that love 27.5 trail bikes. I'm 5'9" with short legs and the 29ers just don't feel as fun to me. I've ridden some of the newer ones, and I know they're great, but I love popping and skipping down the trail and the Remedy is the best at that. It's also the only bike in the line up that really can handle super rowdy descents, and is great on climbs and efficient enough for big, back country days imo. OK maybe the Fuel, but the Remedy is still going to handle rowdy descents and big hits better.

So how about a little love for us Remedy riders Trek? How about some Shimano builds, or even better project one? I promise I'll buy one!

Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Do you realize how many good enduro bikes there are on the market? Why not look at another brand? For me it's easy because Treks fit awkward, but there are so many, I'm sure you can find one that has what you want.

·
Registered
135 Posts
27.5 is not dead. In fact, where I ride there are a lot of riders that have 29 inch wheel bikes that are going back to 27.5. I'm sure sales of 29 are better and ever increasing but just look a the new craze of mullet bikes. A lot of riders get a 27.5 bike and add a 29 fork and wheel rather than get a 27.5 rear on a 29 frame. Also I like the new remedy options. Not too slack, not too steep seat angle, just a good all round bike.

I'm sure there will be an updates version next year maybe??

·
Community Manager at Trek
579 Posts
My 2 cents here.

We build and sell bikes for the masses, but if the masses looses interest in a bike, we have to choose if we want to keep it around or not. It's a hard decision that luckily I don't have to make, otherwise we'd have way too many bikes in our product line - haha!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all replies. Just to be clear, I'm not asking about updates, I think the geo on the current Remedy is perfect. I'm just asking for more build options, like maybe a 9.8XT. Mitch are you able to comment on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for all replies. Just to be clear, I'm not asking about updates, I think the geo on the current Remedy is perfect. I'm just asking for more build options, like maybe a 9.8XT. Mitch are you able to comment on this? Thanks!
I think the geo is spot on on the Remedy too. Perhaps just buy a carbon frame 2021 Remedy and build it up to your liking if you don't like the specs of the build kits. That might be a good option. As an alternative the Ibis Mojo 4 looks nice too.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My return to Mountain Biking was on a 2018 Remedy 7. Utterly loved that bike. So much so, less than a year later I bought myself a 2020 Remedy C Frameset, and again, I adore the bike everytime I ride. Every single time I have tried to get on a 29'er, I just can't get into. Its not that they are bad by any stretch! My short inseam just means I don't Gel well with them, I feel they are controlling me, rather me controlling it. Given the likes of Cam McCaul, R-Dog and Brandon Semenuk all absolutely Shred on the Remedy, I hope it doesnt go away. Not everyone is about full blown speed!

My local shop guy mentioned he reckoned the Remedy would be canned this year, but thankfully we at least get it another year. Frankly as Mountain Biking enjoys a sort of re-surgence, keeping a 27.5 would be a good move. But heck, the folks at trek have the sales data and if it ain't selling, it won't be staying (Simply business).

We build and sell bikes for the masses, but if the masses looses interest in a bike, we have to choose if we want to keep it around or not. It's a hard decision that luckily I don't have to make, otherwise we'd have way too many bikes in our product line - haha!
My probably worthless opinion, but here's my 2 cents.

If the Remedy isn't selling as well as the 29'er models, in my opinion this is Treks own fault, because the entry model is priced WAY too high for the spec and shows not as great value compared to the Fuel EX and Slash.

$3299 USD for the Remedy 7, coupled with the 2019+ Remedy 7's getting a big downgrade. A bike of that price should NOT come with a Rockshox 35! 35mm chassis built around plastic non upgradeable internals. The 35 has its place, not on a +3K bike. Should have stuck with the Yari, at least that has the option for upgrades to bring it alive.

The entry level Remedy 7 now sits alone, priced in a no mans land.

You've got 2 models of Fuel EX substantially cheaper, and a 3rd one that near enough makes no difference. And couple that, the new Slash 7 starts at such a close price point, that people will feel the Slash is better value (It certainly is compared to the Remedy 7) So new comers are going to go straight to the cheaper Fuel EX's. And people who want to get into more hard core riding and willing to spend more, are probably going to look at the slash as it is much better value at the entry price. Its very easy to market 29'ers are better etc, and that gets people buying two lines of bikes. Though 29'ers are not better, better is subjective. Both are great.

I genuinely feel that introducing a Remedy 5 that is sub $3K will generate a lot more interest in the Remedy's. Bring a better spec to the 7 (At minim switch the 35 to a Yari, Guide R brakes etc) to make it more appealing, and drop the Remedy 8's price slightly. I think doing that, would make the Remedy a continued much love member of the family. Really hoping the Remedy stays around another year, and gains some of the features of the new slash.

TL : DR - I really love the Remedy Trek. This is meant as a rant of love, not hate! Its an incredible bike, please don't let her go into the twilight :sad:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looking at this and other treads about the new slash I think everyone feels that for the spec list all new treks are quite high priced. Sales are obviously crazy at the moment and like a few people have said, there may not be a remedy at all soon.

I ride a 2017 9 RSL, that was £3400 brand new. If my bike was new now with the same but updated parts it would be nearer £6k.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
My LBS has their own great version of P1. Pick your bike. Change (just about) anything. Pay the difference in price, plus a very reasonable fee to cover the mechanic's time to swap parts, and leave with exactly the bike you want.

These shops are out there. Dig around (or PM me if you're in the PNW).

Though I'm a 29er fan, I've never met anybody on a Remedy that didn't gush about it -- and I still miss my old Remedy 29er a bit. Kind of hoping Trek brings it back to fill the now pretty significant gap between the Fuel EX and new Slash.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Looking at this and other treads about the new slash I think everyone feels that for the spec list all new treks are quite high priced. Sales are obviously crazy at the moment and like a few people have said, there may not be a remedy at all soon.

I ride a 2017 9 RSL, that was £3400 brand new. If my bike was new now with the same but updated parts it would be nearer £6k.
My Remedy 7 Originally retailed for $3499 Australian Dollars (Im in Aus). Through my Health Insurance, I get 10% off Trek bikes so out I went at $3149. For the bike you got, this was pretty dam good. And again, loved th bike so much, I ended up getting a Remedy C Frameset.

Then the 2020 model year the Remedy 7 (Along with a heap of other bikes in Treks line up got their prices jacked up. Now $3999. Yes you got better brakes, but the Rockshox 35 ruined the value. Whats irritating, is they raised the prices for the AUD dropping towards the end of last year. Ok fine I get that. But the prices should not have been hiked that much. And, what is further frustrating, is the dollar has climbed significantly since that point. So there is 0 reason those prices should remain. But alas, given so many of their bikes are sold out until next year, supply v demand.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My return to Mountain Biking was on a 2018 Remedy 7. Utterly loved that bike. So much so, less than a year later I bought myself a 2020 Remedy C Frameset, and again, I adore the bike everytime I ride. Every single time I have tried to get on a 29'er, I just can't get into. Its not that they are bad by any stretch! My short inseam just means I don't Gel well with them, I feel they are controlling me, rather me controlling it. Given the likes of Cam McCaul, R-Dog and Brandon Semenuk all absolutely Shred on the Remedy, I hope it doesnt go away. Not everyone is about full blown speed!

My local shop guy mentioned he reckoned the Remedy would be canned this year, but thankfully we at least get it another year. Frankly as Mountain Biking enjoys a sort of re-surgence, keeping a 27.5 would be a good move. But heck, the folks at trek have the sales data and if it ain't selling, it won't be staying (Simply business).

My probably worthless opinion, but here's my 2 cents.

If the Remedy isn't selling as well as the 29'er models, in my opinion this is from Treks own doing, because the entry model is priced WAY too high for the spec and shows not as great value compared to the Fuel EX and Slash.

$3299 USD for the Remedy 7, coupled with the 2019+ Remedy 7's getting a big downgrade. A bike of that price should NOT come with a Rockshox 35! 35mm chassis built around plastic non upgradeable internals. The 35 has its place, not on a +3K bike. Should have stuck with the Yari, at least that has the option for upgrades to bring it alive.

So I feel the entry level Remedy 7 now sit alone priced in a no mans land. You've got 2 models of Fuel EX substantially cheaper, and a 3rd one that near enough makes no difference. And couple that, the new Slash 7 starts at such a close price point, that people will feel the Slash is better value (It certainly is compared to the Remedy 7) So new comers are going to go straight to the cheaper Fuel EX's. And people who want to get into more hard core riding and willing to spend more, are probably going to look at the slash as it is much better value at the entry price.

I genuinely feel that introducing a Remedy 5 that is sub $3K will generate a lot more interest in the Remedy's. Bring a better spec to the 7 (At minim switch the 35 to a Yari, Guide R brakes etc) to make it more appealing, and drop the Remedy 8's price slightly. I think doing that, would make the Remedy a continued much love member of the family. Really hoping the Remedy stays around another year, and gains some of the features of the new slash.

TL : DR - I really love the Remedy Trek. This is meant as a rant of love, not hate! Its an incredible bike, please don't let her go into the twilight :sad:
Nick_M2R - I agree with every word! and more....

Trek is actually KILLING the Remedy.
First by pricing:
When comparing the 2020 Remedy 7 and 2020 Fuel EX 7, the Remedy price is $3,300 while the FEX 7 is only $2,900 - a $400 difference for exactly the same spec (except for a minor brakes difference).

That continues when comparing the 2021 Remedy 8 and 2021 Fuel EX 8. The Remedy price is $4,100 while the FEX 8 is only $3,500 - a $600 difference for the same frame, wheels, drivetrain and components except that thr Remedy has Code R and FEX has G2 R brakes (but this does not reflect a $600 price difference).

second by drastically reducing the Remedy line up.
In 2020 MY there were 5 models in the Remedy line up: 7, 8, 9.7, 9.8, 9.9.
In 2021 MY there are only 8 and 9.8 models, so the Remedy might be discontinued for 2022 (at least as 27.5 wheel size).

Superfly Lee - If you like the Remedy, waited so long and ready to go for a carbon frame - then grab a 2021 9.8. 2021 model is well spec'ed: Fox 38 up front with DPX2 rear, the new Line Elite 30 wheels and Code R brakes. I know it's 1.3 lbs heavier than 2020 9.8, but if you ride hard then you probably benfit more from the 2021 build :thumbsup:

BTW, I got a 2020 FEX 9.8 demo bike for the weekend last month.
SRAM GX Eagle worked just fine! Shifting was good and precise all the way.

Mo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a feeling the new "remedy" will be reiterated in the form a 275 S/XS Slash. Looking at the recently released Slash I would not buy one as their Small size is still too big for someone my size (167 cm) despite what they may claim. I know this is the case because I currently ride a 29er with very similar geo numbers and can feel the front end being too big. I think the Remedy will live on in the form of a 275 slash for smaller folks just as alot of other manufacturers are doing with their smaller sized bikes. To be fair I think there is alot of overlap between the slash/remedy otherwise. If I was 6ft and wanted a poppier more agile bike I could opt for a medium slash and get the same sorta ride feel (wheels aside of course). The smallest modern 29er enduro I have seen is the Scott ransom with a reach around 400. Most other manufacturers don't really offer such a small 29er.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all replies and suggestions. Nick, i completely agree with your points and was thinking about Semenuk, Howard, McCaul, ect. when I made the post.

Mod500, i probably am going to get the 2021 9.8 and change out the drivetrain and suspension. The 38/DPX2 combo is overkill for me, which is another reason i was hoping for more build options.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I went from 2018 Fuel ex to 2020 Remedy. I was really holding out for a bigger travel Fuel ex in 2020 but only the fork got an additional 10mm so a switched to a Remedy. Love my Remedy but sizing is a bit funny for me I had to get a Large as the usual M/L size on Trek bikes I get felt too short. The Large Remedy is just a bit too big for me but it works better than a size down. Was really hoping for a new model remedy with more modern geometry so that a M/L would fit me good. But sad to see its possibility going to be dropped, its such a capable bike up and down and for all day adventures.

Ps you guys talking about price, your lucky you don't live here in NZ, the Trek importer is hardcore increasing the prices each year. The Slash 8 saw a $1500 increase this year over last year and the 7 costs $500 than the 8 did last year. The Other bikes like Remedy and Top Fuel 9.8's all saw a $1000 increase this year and last year they went up by $1000 too. I feel like Trek are pricing themselves out of the market here in NZ, they are definitely now one of the more expensive brands.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ps you guys talking about price, your lucky you don't live here in NZ, the Trek importer is hardcore increasing the prices each year. The Slash 8 saw a $1500 increase this year over last year and the 7 costs $500 than the 8 did last year. The Other bikes like Remedy and Top Fuel 9.8's all saw a $1000 increase this year and last year they went up by $1000 too. I feel like Trek are pricing themselves out of the market here in NZ, they are definitely now one of the more expensive brands.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Don't worry, Australia got gouged plenty on it too (Though not to the full extent as NZ). It'll be blamed on currency fluctuations, but frankly I find that a weak argument. The AUD did tank in March, but given the US Federal Reserve are running the printers at full throttle, the dollar has climbed back up substantially since. Guess its just business, and that's the reality of it. I just think its a shame. They'd be making money hand over fist at the moment, heck from what I see Marlins don't even last a day before they are out the door. Such a shame, as I feel Trek has some fantastic bikes, but their prices are starting to get out of hand and they are pricing themselves out of some markets.

Im am ashamed to admit, I payed $44 AUD for a Bontrager XDR hub endcap.

ONE...CAP.....$44!!!

When I got it home and was about to install it, I promptly just said screw this and took a grinder to the HG free hub endcap and ground it back to the same size as the new one. Thank god for the 30 Bontrager Money back guarantee on the new unopened end cap :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts