Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of these things have been covered to death, but as I've been getting interested in a semi-light, adjustable 5-6" travel trail bike, and I want to stick with Titus, and I don't care for the Switchblade, and the SuperMoto's too heavy.... I've come up with my dream '06 Motolite:

My suggestion to Titus for '06 Moto-Lite:
*Redesigned chainstays and seat stays arch for bigger tire clearance without increasing weight much (I guess slapping the Quasi/SM chain stays on would be acceptable too).

*Increase rear travel to adjust between 5/6" to keep up with the the 575(and 575 enduro20) Nomad, Enduro, ML8, and other new breed light weight 6 inch trail/fr bikes and to give it a little more freeride capability.

*Beef up the frame if need be to handle heavier duty stuff (7 lbs would be acceptable).

*HA should vary between 69-70 and 68-68.5 for the 5" and 6" settings respectivley. There's so many great single crown 5-6" adjustable forks that would complement that set up nicely (Fox36, FR1, Sherman Breakout, Pike, etc.) and it would separate the Motolite from the RX100 a bit more.

*Then drop the SB if you feel like there's too much overlap there. Or not.... if there's still a good market for it. But I think many people just view it as a Tracer copy anyway.... which Intense has dropped. (I know, I know, it's better than the tracer and has evolved beyond the tracer over the past few years, but I'm talking about perception and marketing.)

Now there's a Moto-Lite that might just get me to buy a new Titus. Call it something different if you have to and keep the ML, but I'm betting it would be hot. Maybe Charles will do it if Titus won't. The HH150 should be based on the ML imo.
 

·
11 is one louder than 10
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
You more or less just described

The original Quasi Moto, with a few ttweaks that bike would be what you want.

The Quasi was YEARS ahead of it's own time. The 02 (pre-gusseted all over) but with the double bearing pivot was a bike to this day I regret not buying.
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
Other than the tire issue that I'm positive will be addressed soon, I completely disagree. The 4 to 5 inch range is good for me. The only thing keeping me from buying a 2.3 compatible MotoLite is sizing. If they add 0.25"-0.5" to the medium frame top tube, I'm in. This TT sizing adjustment would center the medium frame between the small and large so I don't think this request is unreasonable. Turning the bike into more of a FR setup isn't going to happen though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
KRob,
Chris at Titus told me that he's squeezed as much travel out of that frame design as he's ever going to get. 5" is tops, even if you went with a custom build.
I wondered about that... and since I'm no engineer and just dreaming, I'll have to concede that issue, but how does Yeti do it with the 575 then? Isn't it essentially a non-horst four bar mac strut design?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Green Giant said:
The original Quasi Moto, with a few ttweaks that bike would be what you want.

The Quasi was YEARS ahead of it's own time. The 02 (pre-gusseted all over) but with the double bearing pivot was a bike to this day I regret not buying.
You mean like this: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=86541&query=retrieval

I've been eyeballing this used Quasi in the classifieds. It looks sweet. Wasn't the BB height a bit tall on the Quasi? What about HA? Certainly it had some faults... what were they?
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,623 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
KRob,
Chris at Titus told me that he's squeezed as much travel out of that frame design as he's ever going to get. 5" is tops, even if you went with a custom build.
At Sea Otter, talked to a guy at Titus who said the same thing. If you want more travel, get a SuperMoto.

That being said, at 6" and 7#, we're talking about a different bike. We've been down that discussion path before, and the typical answer has been: you could get a switchblade with 5.7" of rear travel or a 10 lbs Supermoto. Personnally, I believe that neither bike really addresses the 6-6.5" 7.5lbs frame market that's being defined by the Nomad, Reign, etc. But that's another story.

Bottom line, you could probably get a ML now and ask to have the lower swapped before purchasing it, and you'll get an awesome light trail bike.
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Hey yeah, how about a SM with a DUC32 fork and 5-6" link? That sounds like ~30lbs.

Boy, gone are my xc days when i start thinking 30lbs is near acceptable for a bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,066 Posts
Sounds like something HH would do:
Straight gauge tubing, slightly diff tube length, a bit more BB height/clearance. Shorten the Seat tube brace to show more seatpost. I am 5'10" and though I have plenty of clearance, I would like to show more seat tube, somewhat cosmetic and a bit of weight savings. I think you could chop off about 2 inches off the top of the seat tube and lower the brace a bit.
Run the Quasi chainstay + a slightly beefier seat stay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
My friend has a Supermoto with the 5-6" configuration and a Vanilla RC and frame + shock is in the 8.5 range, total build around 32 pounds.
Does the 7 inch link really add 1.5 lbs. Is some of that from using a different/longer shock? Or is Trail Dude's scale just way off?
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=96440

There was a 30ish lbs supermoto posted here recently as well... thus my question about the true weight of the sm frame.... I'm just not seeing how you can get it under 35 lbs with a reasonable freeride build and tires with that frame weight (10lbs).

I do think the SM is super sexy..... I'd like it better at 7.5-8 lbs.
 

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
I have read that statement before and it makes no sense to me. Look at a Turner Highline, it’s the same basic design but in 8.5” of travel. Is it that Chris doesn’t want to produce a chainstay that is different than all his other bikes?

I agree about the 5/6 instead of 4/5 I don’t know any experienced riders in my area that have purchased a 4” bike that was not race specific in the last 2 years. The standard XC bikes in my neck of the woods are 5/6” FS or Singlespeeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
zorg said:
That being said, at 6" and 7#, we're talking about a different bike. We've been down that discussion path before, and the typical answer has been: you could get a switchblade with 5.7" of rear travel or a 10 lbs Supermoto. Personnally, I believe that neither bike really addresses the 6-6.5" 7.5lbs frame market that's being defined by the Nomad, Reign, etc. But that's another story.
I agree with you Zorg. I think there's a gap in their line up..... and that gap just happens to be the hottest class of FS bikes this year. They may have to design a whole new frame to fit the bill, but I think they need a bike in this class. (You could add the Prophet to this class as well)

zorg said:
Bottom line, you could probably get a ML now and ask to have the lower swapped before purchasing it, and you'll get an awesome light trail bike.
Yeah, but I already have an awesome light trail bike.... HH100x with a talas will do pretty much everything the ml will do (and some things it won't). I want the 6-6.5" travel, 7.5lbs frame that you and I (and others I'd bet) are looking for from Titus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
The 575 is a single pivot. There is not chain stay or seat stay link. But they do place carbon on the seat stays which allegedly provides some flex.
I thought that carbon (or titanium) knuckle on the seat stay effectively acts the same as a pivot. Or is that just the ASR-L that has that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
KRob said:
*Then drop the SB if you feel like there's too much overlap there. Or not.... if there's still a good market for it. But I think many people just view it as a Tracer copy anyway.... which Intense has dropped. (I know, I know, it's better than the tracer and has evolved beyond the tracer over the past few years, but I'm talking about perception and marketing.)
The bike you're looking for IS the Switchblade. It fullfills every single point you're looking for. The only drawback to the switchblade being the interrupted seat post is that its just not a fresh design any more as you said. It looks like a Tracer copy. Personally I find the ML to be the redundant bike. It offers little if anything over what the SB has offered for the last few years. Its main advantage is its simply several hundred dollars cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hecubus said:
The bike you're looking for IS the Switchblade..
Yeah..... I guess (relunctantly knodding head). Squeaky keeps telling me that too. I guess because it's the bike I passed over when I bought my HH100x I just have a hard time going back. Although it is (or can be) quite a different bike than what it was back in '02.

Let's see. Coil shock, 5.5" link, Six inch fork... What kind of HA do you get with, say, a Fox 36 or DUC32? I love the look of the SM, but for some reason the interrupted seat tube on the SB and Quasi just looks funky to my eye. I'm kind of in between sizes on the SB as well. I think the 23.25 Med would be OK with a 120 stem (the '02 23" med was a bit short for me), but I'd want to run a 90-100mm with a more FR/burly trail set up. Would the Large be too big?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
KRob said:
Let's see. Coil shock, 5.5" link, Six inch fork... What kind of HA do you get with, say, a Fox 36 or DUC32? I love the look of the SM, but for some reason the interrupted seat tube on the SB and Quasi just looks funky to my eye. I'm kind of in between sizes on the SB as well. I think the 23.25 Med would be OK with a 120 stem (the '02 23" med was a bit short for me), but I'd want to run a 90-100mm with a more FR/burly trail set up. Would the Large be too big?
Well the Titus geometry chart for the 05 SB says the bikes geometry is 70* with the 5" rockers and 100mm fork. Put a 130mm fork and the HA should be around 69* which is consistant with what I remember reading about it during interbike saying it was designed to have a 69* HA in the 5 X 5 mode. I'm assuming the 5.5" coil rockers keep the same geometry as the 5" ones. So it would seem like an accurate guesstimate that with a 6" travel fork the HA should be very close to 68*.
Its very hard to say what size would fit you. I honestly have no idea there but personally I think if it takes a 120mm stem to get you the right fit on the 23.25" top tube I would probably go for the large with a 23.75" TT and a 90-100mm stem.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top