Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think you need to save Matt Hunters life!

I mean, he rides with a Spesh Deviant and all...

:D

·
Registered
593 Posts
ha I got rid of my deviant for the reason that it didnt seem strong enough.
2 weeks later i got knocked out and had memory loss in my giro remedy

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just retired my Deviant but it worked fine for the few years I had it. I never really had to "test" its abilities luckily.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,996 Posts
cool video, but that trail is nothing compared to what we ride....it is smooth like an xc trail and doesn't have the treachery ours does.....that big jump stands out though

Bottom line....how much is your head worth? is it worth a Deviant or Remedy? or is it worth a bigger helmet with more protection....it's your choice

·
dirt visionary
6,509 Posts
you saying SMT is a professional Downhill racer? I needed a good laugh today thx.

·
18 years old
632 Posts
1:28 with that landing cocked on the side of the hill as he slides....*****IN. Love that shat.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
clockwork said:
you saying SMT is a professional Downhill racer? I needed a good laugh today thx.
I think he's saying professional downhill racers are stupid (when it comes to safety)

I can't honestly disagree, every time I've touched a deviant I've thought to myself "god this seems flimsy"

The jaw protection seems particularly crappy.

Get a helmet with good standards. You don't even have to spend an arm and a leg on one. the remedy and evolution are fairly inexpensive, good safety standards, and cost alot less then perm. brain damage.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
William42 said:
Get a helmet with good standards.
A Deviant has good standards. It's not a hucker helmet IMO (even though guys like Matt Hunter and Berrecloth use it for that stuff) but it's not weak either. Friend of mine recently took a spill at the dirt jumps and broke his collarbone and a couple ribs, and slapped his Deviant against the ground extremely hard. No head injuries. This wasn't just a little spill either, one of the gnarliest wrecks I've ever seen. He'll need a new one, but any helmet would need to be replaced after a spill of that magnitude.

The point is that it works just fine for most of what all of us and the pros do. Get a bigger, heavier, hotter helmet if you like but it's not like using a Deviant is asking for a concussion or anything. They work great.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Does it not meet the same safety standards that most other mountain bike helmets meet?

Or are we just armchair racing and saying it doesn't "feel" strong enough? If I could get my mitts on one I'd wear it.. lightweight enough to where I might actually use a full face on a warm day. As it is I'll reach for a Giro Hex most of the time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I haven't used the Deviant and I use my TLD Moto helmet for downhill stuff, but here is something to think about... If the Deviant is softer, it could in fact help prevent brain damage because it gives your head more time to decelerate. If you have a hard helmet your head stops instantly and causing more brain damage, while with a softer helmet it could allow it to slow down over more time and cause less damage.

But then again maybe not :D

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
cool video, but that trail is nothing compared to what we ride....
Soo...you're busting out 360's off huge step-downs?

You're pleading a bad case for anyone that thinks they should buy a Remedy, that helmet obviously doesn't save brain-cells...look at your posts...I'll give you a hint, they're not exactly A+ material.

·
Registered
193 Posts
clockwork said:
Your lack of reading comprehension is a good laugh to be had by all readers. THX :thumbsup:

(as an aside, you should make sure you fully understand what was said before you make your attempts to insult; most specifically read what the person quoted as it is usually a good hint at what they are replying to)

·
dirt visionary
6,509 Posts
We'll couldn't you read the ? mark I asked you a question .......and this thread is the flip side to another thread you weren't in . Nope not talking about the head deformed thread either.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I keep saying it but nobody listens; Sarcasm is wasted on here :p

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Raptordude said:
Soo...you're busting out 360's off huge step-downs?

You're pleading a bad case for anyone that thinks they should buy a Remedy, that helmet obviously doesn't save brain-cells...look at your posts...I'll give you a hint, they're not exactly A+ material.

Bwaaaaaahahaha

·
Banned
67 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
cool video, but that trail is nothing compared to what we ride....it is smooth like an xc trail and doesn't have the treachery ours does.....that big jump stands out though

Bottom line....how much is your head worth? is it worth a Deviant or Remedy? or is it worth a bigger helmet with more protection....it's your choice

And that's why your a big sponsored pro....after the so called vid was published of where you had your big wreck at...I wouldn't be boasting the terrain you ride is more hardcore then what the pros in the vids ride. Their terrain looks alot more GNARLY :thumbsup:

All bike helmets have to meet certain Gov. regulations...so rather it's the cheap close out deal or the super spendy carbon fiber helmet, in the end, they have to meet the same crash protection. Not to say some helmets will not protect more then others...but usually a more expensive helmet fits better, more ventilation, and is lighter...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I feel that the deviant is too unprotective. Even on the site it says xc/ all mountain. However its all about preference. I thought that the remedy would be a good helmet and it helped but not completely. I've just found that the best way to avoid head injurys is to not crash... but hey, Sh** happens.

·
Registered
735 Posts
kenbentit said:
I keep saying it but nobody listens; Sarcasm is wasted on here :p
Indeed. Far too many egos floating around screaming. I never encounter that with guys I ride with, even if they bring someone new with them to the group. Maybe it's just a nor-east thing?

Meh...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts