Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im doing some work on a lazy friends bike who doesnt touch his bike for nothing. Scrap all of last seasons mud off, disasemble and notice the left fork leg keeps droping lower than the other leg. Its an 02 Shiver. I pull on it and it comes down even more. So i try to gently push it up again and it pops in. i take the leg out of the crown and take it apart. See the pic below. Most of the oil was still in the fork leg but there was a ring of grime on the bittom of leg too. Have u seen this happen before? Is it caused by the fact that the rod was not attached in the dampner? So the cart is shot. Whats a replacement cost? If i put it back in and fill w/ right amount of oil will it hinder performance-obviously no dampening but otherwise?Thanks for any answers. My friend rides like a gorilla w/ no finesse so hes hard on his stuff. Plus his family(kids) suck up his time. Figured im gonna help him out but i might have to charge him a case of beer. Thanks again. :D

By the way a shop rebuilt the fork late in the season. Could it be their fault? Or is my friend just a gorilla(240+lbs)?

Attachments

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots!!

zedro said:
i have no idea how the cart could start splitting like that. How much oil was in that leg?
It almost filled a 16 oz plastic beer cup bout an inch from the top. plus whatever was already lost/drained/leaked. So if its overfilled and i know my friend didnt touch it after rebuild is it the shops fault?

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
good luck prooving that one...

like i said, suck it up, get a new one, **** happens....
so will it work if i just throw the cart back in and filler up? Season starts next weekend at Plattekill and were going for the weekend. Yeah he has to get a new one eventually but thos kids suck up money (besides time) so he'll have to wait. I think they cost about 150$. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,980 Posts
depends, how was it working before you peeled it apart?

for reference, the new super t only has one hscv cart and everyone seems to be of the opinion that the one cart is enough.....(i'm not a techie though)

IMO if it was performing with no noticeable difference, slap it back together and get a new cart when the funds become available.....

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
dannymonky said:
So if its overfilled and i know my friend didnt touch it after rebuild is it the shops fault?
overfilling wouldnt of caused that, but it could of prevented it. The only thing i can think of is the springs for some reason binded before the fork would bottom-out normally, causing all the stress to go right into the cartridge thus splitting it (normally bottom out impacts are between the lowers and the top caps).

Now how the fork could be setup to bind the springs is kinda confusing. Either non-Shiver springs that cannot support 200mm of travel were used, or a longer spring spacer was used to over-preload the fork, causing the stock springs to bind. Barring those two possibilities, something had to have jammed along the spring stack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.