Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Those things look kind of cool. I'm not sure I understand how the bindings work, though. Can you just wear hiking boots with them? That would be awesome. I wonder how well they go downhill, though, with that long traction plate in the middle. I built up a set of snowblades with tele-bindings a few weeks ago. They're shorter than the karhus (99cm), and climb real well, but are pretty squirrelly going down. Fun, though. I've got some writeups on my blog (they're kind of dull), and there's a pic of the blades in one of the comments.

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Whyteboy said:
Are You considering getting a pair? sounds like more snow in the forecast. Hidden valley is getting PHAT!!
Yeah, I've tried those before. My brother has a pair. They're great for getting around in the back country, and I could just barely do a tele-style turn on them. The binding grips your foot as tight as you want it to, and you can wear almost any kind of boots. The only downside I discovered after playing around on them for a day was that the skin was already lifting out of the inset on the bottom of the ski and getting caught on stuff really easily.

They didn't climb nearly as steep as full-skins or snow shoes (obviously), but they are so short that herring boning was pretty easy. I'd take 'em over snow shoes any day, especially if you could get some kind of crampon for going up the hardpacked steeps or ice.

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mmm, probly not...

Might need to spend some money on body work, my truck slid into a tree when I was plowing Monday.:rolleyes:

How was Little Valley? I should'da driven over, but conditions on the roads over here sucked BIG time!:madman:

I'd like to get out on somethin' outside, I might head over to Bunce tomorrow afta' work, see if it's packed or not.

Did you get a price on those Goodridge lines? My rear is alittle short on the new frame. At this rate, the bike will last forever!:rolleyes: (Might need new bearings in the rollers though.):D

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was wondering about that...

Stefan_G said:
The only downside I discovered was that the skin was already lifting out of the inset on the bottom of the ski and getting caught on stuff really easily.
Thanks for the info. Are you the tall Stefan that was making the bashguards?

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Hehe... I do it 3-4 times a week.

Nothing like lift service skibiking on the DH bike all winter long.

I'll stick with my BigHit/Shiver/Summit combo over the Lenz though.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
daveM said:
That's a differnent Stefan. Forgot his user name at the moment, haven't seen posts from that Stefan in some time. Last I heard he's more into the road/fixie thing now but I could be wrong.

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
daveM said:
Nope, sorry.

I saw a couple of those Lenz Alpine Brawlers at MJ last weekend. They looked like a blast!

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
miSSionary said:
That's a differnent Stefan. Forgot his user name at the moment, haven't seen posts from that Stefan in some time. Last I heard he's more into the road/fixie thing now but I could be wrong.
sdizzle would be his ex-handle....he's a roadie geek now. Sold his mtn.bikes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.