Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,443 Posts
Your going to love them, biggest single performance jump i have bought into since my first dropper post over 7 years ago.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Derbys' hoops. Nice. Does he build them too, or did you have them sent out somewhere?
Dusty of Hubsessed Cycle Works built them with Hadley Hubs and Sapim spokes.

40mm 27.5" rims. I think Derby's site says the rims weigh around 425-435 grams each. So I don't suppose the complete wheel set is super light but I'll bet it's around 1700-1800 grams (Didn't weigh them)..... Which is pretty light for as burly as these look.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your going to love them, biggest single performance jump i have bought into since my first dropper post over 7 years ago.
Kelly is going to love them. I was just hanging on to them for a couple of days but couldn't stop oggling and fondling them the whole time I had them (My wife told Kelly she hates him now). I'm sure he'll let me take them for a spin once he gets them mounted on his Burner.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am loving them, although I only have a couple of mellow rides on them thus far. Hope to put them through some tests this weekend.

I don't know if I should let Krob take my Burner for a spin, Mrs. Krob WILL shoot me.

I did weigh the wheels as I was doing a comparison of old (ZTR Arch, Speed Tuned Hubs) vs. new (Derby, Hadley) but I did not record my findings. I do recall the weights were very similar. In regards to performance I have found two traits thus far; corning is awesome and landing jumps is solid.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know if I should let Krob take my Burner for a spin, Mrs. Krob WILL shoot me.
LOL. Nah, she's already signed off on the new bike.

Maybe we can do some Squaw shuttles this afternoon later to break those wheels in proper. Give me a call.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:thumbsup:you provided the inspiration that helped me pull the trigger on this tread =====> Chilcotin complement bike decision

Thank You
Cool. Glad to see I could help. Do you have a full build and ride report posted somewhere?

I got a short ride on a pretty gnarly descent yesterday on KellyE's burner. Very impressive. The wheels felt mega stiff and tracked really well. The wider profile of the tires due to the 40mm rims really hooked up in the loose terrain.

Was surprised (again) by how deep and plush the 140mm dw rear end feels on the new Burner. Wow. Really nice bike, Kelly.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,894 Posts
I've been saying that Turner needs to apply the Czar's carbon technology and design to the 650b 140-160mm platform. They make an excellent bike that looks 8 years old. Kinda like Nicolai.

The Derby's look so beefy. They make every bike look like a DH bike but they've got the weight of XC wheels.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been saying that Turner needs to apply the Czar's carbon technology and design to the 650b 140-160mm platform.
Agreed. I'd be really surprised if Dave wasn't working on something like this. I could be wrong but let's just say I'm looking forward to Interbike this year.

I can tell you one thing though. If he didn't sell enough Czars to offset the cost of the carbon molds, I wouldn't expect a carbon Burner.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What influenced your decision in going with the Hedley Hubs ? Were Hopes in the running ? Also Do you think LB rims are comparable to Derby ? I want to race in the Enduro Series up in BC. Would these rims be a solid choice, or would you go with aluminum, say the Syntace 35mx ? I want to stay in the wide territory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts