Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my Salsa El Mariachi frame met an unfortunate end, I decided to get a custom frame so I could get some of the oddness I was looking for. The Rohloff Speedhub wheel I have needs a few extra bits on the frame. The geometry was pushed bit to the slower/more stable end of things with bikepacking/touring in mind. I ended up with a Niner steel fork which got painted to match the frame.

Rich Adams made the frame. He is starting to do 29ers after many years of more pavement oriented bikes. Having a locally made frame just seemed right to me. It's chromoly with paragon drops with Rohloff support. Powder coated locally/cheaply, but I love the way the textured black came out.

The Headbadge is nice and shiny.

Chainstay length ended up sliding from 17 1/4" -> 18", bottom bracket height 12.5"

The seat collar is going to be swapped for a silver one because fashion is everything.

The smooth, shiny silver with the texture black turned out better than I imagined.

Ready to ride (or close enough, cables are ugly)

Hopefully I put it together properly because tomorrow should be a perfect chance to get a ride in. Then it will never look so clean again. I'll get some more pictures because action shots are far more fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
New 29er

Chris......the bike looks great! I stopped in and got a look while Rich was building it and was very impressed. The black powdercoat looks perfect. I'll see you tomorrow for the complete review of handling-performance........hope this bike was built up for your demanding riding style.

·
Registered
496 Posts
ooo... Rich Adams stuff is so F'n sweet. Loved his booth at HMBS last year. I have a little more intrest in getting one (road oreiented touring) as my last name is Adams, and that would just be the bees knees. I loved the one with the bunny in the basket. Anyways... that looks great. I love the texture, something you don't see to often. What wheels are those?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front wheel is a Hope Pro 2, Rear is Rohloff Speedhub, both with double butted spokes and Sun Rhynolite rims. That bunny bike is in the shop there. The racks and fenders on it are so nice looking. Rarely does it seem like either of those really belong on a bike. The paint really came out well. It's certainly a mountain bike sort of paint job. It's funny seeing all the really smooth road bikes with the white/blue or white/green fillets he makes, then my oddly proportioned textured black monster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GT Fabrication in Pittston did the pcoat. I used to only use them for industrial jobs but there work has improved, I like the guys there and it's a family business. I have a 29er there now that i'm getting some fancy emerald metallic job. I have mixed feelings about powder versus paint. You can never eliminate the orange peal in powder and it's thicker so it doesn't show fine detail. Glossy finishes always dull over time. The cost is less than half of wet paint though. Wet paint looks shiny and wet, smooth and just beautiful! It scratches easy though so maynot be the best for mtn bikes but road is fine...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Those textured finishes like the one on this frame are generally a bit thicker than the satin/gloss finishes.

Sweet looking frame. The whole bike came together nicely!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.