Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
perhaps you could help me out...

i was washing my bike just a while ago and when i was drying it off i noticed that the (blue) lefty lock-out lever and the (red) rebound dial were both loose :eek: as in i can see the gasket and threads on the blue lever and the red dial both wiggles around.

how does one tighten both of those levers back to their normal specs?

·
Cyclist of Borg
234 Posts
Dave, im fading. Ummm...yeh, back on topic
you might be better off PMing him. that way you know he will see it

Resistance is to high a gear.. i mean futile

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob H. said:
My rebound knob is held on by a small set screw (2 mm?).

Underneath the rebound knob is a 10mm nut holding down the lockout lever.

Hope that helps :)
is it under the lever?

when i get home i'll look under the blue lever because thats the only place i can think it would be thanks.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
prognosis is not so good the the blue lever has migrated so far up that i can't access the 1.5mm nut in the rebound dial what is even worse is that while in the stand i pushed down on the blue lock out lever and it felt like the whole shock internals shifted. I pushed up on the bottom of the leg near the schrader valve at the bottom and the blue lever and red dial both moved up thus confirming my fears of the whole forks internals moving about.

now what i can't access the nut to loosen the red dial now to tighten lockout lever nut and i've got this worry that the damn think will self destruct while out riding because of the play in the fork internals a few years back we had a texas racer sent to the hospital due to a lefty coming apart mid race.

what is even worse is i'm signed up to do a 90 mile marathon race saturday morning... any suggestions other than taking it to a dealer who will be closed on new years day.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
everything is fine the fork works fine the lock out works fine just some minor play and the blue lock out lever has some play too. i looked at the diagrams of the lefty last night and it seems that nothing bad will happen.

although i had the fork totally rebuilt this summer at the nmbs deer valley race by the cannondale peeps it might be time to sent it your way and get it serviced before out texas spring series kicks off in six weeks.

thanks for the advice i'll be contacting you shortly.

·
unemployed team mechanic
157 Posts
HAL 9000 said:
everything is fine the fork works fine the lock out works fine just some minor play and the blue lock out lever has some play too. i looked at the diagrams of the lefty last night and it seems that nothing bad will happen.

although i had the fork totally rebuilt this summer at the nmbs deer valley race by the cannondale peeps it might be time to sent it your way and get it serviced before out texas spring series kicks off in six weeks.

thanks for the advice i'll be contacting you shortly.
that was me.

any play on the blue know would be rotational. really it would be worth it to take the rebound knob off, see whats up with the lock out lever. and check to make sure the top cap is tight.and if you have a bb tool (shimano) take the top cap off and check that the damper is not loose

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Captain Pabst said:
that was me.

any play on the blue know would be rotational. really it would be worth it to take the rebound knob off, see whats up with the lock out lever. and check to make sure the top cap is tight.and if you have a bb tool (shimano) take the top cap off and check that the damper is not loose
I got the 1.5mm allen wrench in the red rebound knob last night but could not make it budge and didn't want to try an force anything I know first hand about stripping out tiny bolts on SID forks lock outs.

I'll try again when I get home this afternoon and use a little more elbow grease on the allen wrench however it was a PITA to get the allen wrench in the red dial because the blue lock out lever was in the way of the hole in the red rebound dial.

the lefty has a tiny amount of play in it when lock out but works fine when not locked out although this marathon event this weekend has 50+ miles of dirt road I don't think I'll jack with the lock out just because I don't want the worry that I'm jacking the fork up.

oh yeah Captain Pabst the work you did on the pivot bearings and jacking with the fork was great and I've not had any issues since that time and everything works like a charm, I just noticed that the lock out lever had some play in it this last week when cleaning the bike.

·
unemployed team mechanic
157 Posts
turn the rebound knob counter clockwise it will give you better access to the 1.5. make sure to not use a ball end in there. i have a few 1.5s that fit fine and 1 that doesn't at all.

a bit of play in lock out is most likely some air in the damper. but for piece of mind if you can check the other things i mentioned all the better.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got the rebound dial off and both the nut that hold the lock out lever was completely unscrewed and the nut under that was loose i snugged it up finger tight and then put the whole shebang back together with no issues gonna take it out for a ride right now.

still don't know how the nuts came loose and off ????

·
unemployed team mechanic
157 Posts
Im guessing the second top nut came loose due to the red loctite being contaminated with oil and not getting a full 24 hours to cure. helps when you know what was done to the damper. working in the trailer was hard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.